Echo CS-590 bar question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Woodsman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to the forum. It looks like a great group!

I bought an Echo CS-590 Timberwolf with a 20" bar at the HomeDepot this summer. Must have been about the last week they carried them in the store, because the next time I went back, there was no evidence they were ever there. Anyway...

I bent the bar. Actually the tree that fell on me bent the bar. I've tried to straighten it out with a dead blow hammer, but I just can't quite get it straight enough. Different opinions on whether on not this is advisable, I know. I think I'm going to buy a new bar, though.

I can't quite reconcile what I'm reading online about recommended replacement bars and chains with what I have on my saw. Seems like it's listed everywhere as using a 70dl chain, but mine came with a 72dl. Was this changed recently?

And assuming that a bar made for a 72dl chain is what I want, suggestions as to which bar I should get and from where?

Thanks!

Welcome to the site!

You need to find an Oregon 176 pattern bar which normally has the 70 DL chain. I'd be curious to see which bar you are running right now that uses a 72 DL chain.

I know a guy that has a couple of them if you are interested in a good used bar as well.

Where are you in MN?

My 590 came with Oregon 72LPX 70DL chain and the laminated bar (Oregon, silver painted). Oregon's replacement 20" bars are 70DL as well (PowerMatch or Pro-Lite). I think a Husky or Stihl mount bar in 20" would be 72DL, but they need to be adapted.

Thanks for your replies, guys! I just went down and looked at the bar. It came with the Echo "Timberwolf" 20" bar 20D0AS3870. It says 70DL on the bar. However, I bought two additional chains from the saw shop in Mpls, but they're all marked Oregon 72.

Thanks for your replies, guys! I just went down and looked at the bar. It came with the Echo "Timberwolf" 20" bar 20D0AS3870. It says 70DL on the bar. However, I bought two additional chains from the saw shop in Mpls, but they're all marked Oregon 72.
The 72 stamped on the chain just indicates the type of chain ( 3/8 regular pitch, .050 gauge). To count the DL (drive links) count the little pieces that stick down into the bar for the entire loop. Someone here has posted a pic on how to determine sizes of chains.

Cutting down trees is serious business, bending bars and having trees fall on you is even more serious business. You may want to read up on how to safely fall trees, or even better have a skilled member here show you. Never want to see anyone get hurt.

Good advice! I don't have a lot of experience, but I have done plenty of just what you suggest. The "incident" happened on a day when I was not feeling well and was the result of momentary inattentiveness. It was a good reminder of how quickly it can happen. I wish I say that I don't think I'll ever make another mistake, but it's always going to have an element of danger/risk.

Thanks for the tutorial on chain size. I've never had to replace a bar before, so I always just relied on saw model reference for chain purchases.

Good advice! I don't have a lot of experience, but I have done plenty of just what you suggest. The "incident" happened on a day when I was not feeling well and was the result of momentary inattentiveness. It was a good reminder of how quickly it can happen.
Very true. I know when I have been running a saw for an extended time I tend to be less careful and always need to remember that accidents happen just as fast at 5:00 pm as they do at 8 am.

I have two 590s and a 490 if your near a good dealer like i am they either make chains or drop a link or two because echo has an oddball link count compared to everyone else. I have never seen a 590 at my home depot but they do carry the timberwolf bars which has held up very well for three years I've been running it.

Latest posts

Back