Echo CS-590 - Strange noise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatfield

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just got the 590 as an Anniversary present from my wife. She bought it online. Went out earlier today after setting it up. Started right up, idled real nice. Nice throttle response, and is running pretty well with factory settings. Didn't beat on the saw for the first 10 minutes or so. Started cutting some wood, and when the saw returned to idle, there is a fairly loud clunking noise coming from the clutch side. This noise is only at idle. The chain is getting plenty of oil. The adjustment is wide open. Chain stops when getting off the throttle as it should. Shut the saw down. Chain is moving freely by hand. Chain is adjusted correctly. I removed the cover to make sure the chain was sitting properly on the spur sprocket. Checked the bar. All is normal. Started the saw back up, same thing. This is my first spur sprocket saw. All my other saws run rim sprockets.
I don't know if this is a normal sound for running a spur sprocket ? Has anyone had the same problem ?
The saw is stock out of the box. Any help and thoughts appreciated.

Thanks. That's what I thought. Wasn't sure if the spur sprocket made a strange noise.

Maybe when they got a ton of cutting time on the and the clutch springs are starting to go, never heard a new or low hour saw clank. I will hear at tinking noise out of my 3400 when idled up once in awhile but she has a lot of hours on her. My six year old Echo is quiet at idle. With the chain off , be hard to make a sound being the whole assembly is turning.

Steve

Don't think it's the clutch pinging. I've never heard this loud of a noise from any clutch. Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it.
It's now going to be Echo's problem. In the process of sending it back. I hope the new saw will be fine.

My CS590 made a much louder clutch rattle at idle when new than I was expecting. Took it apart and saw nothing amiss so I kept going with it and either it's quieted down or I've just stopped noticing. Maybe yours is different, though.

When did you get your saw, and how long did it take to quiet down ?
I hope the new one doesn't make the same noise. Stuff like that bothers me to no end. It's like a rattle in a brand new car. I can live with certain things, but a new chainsaw should sound sweet.
Will update once I get the new saw.

Maybe just a bad clutch spring or something. Hopefully the next one works as it should. I got mine at Christmas, and it's been a pleasure to run. Never any sound like you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did you get your saw, and how long did it take to quiet down ?

I bought it new from a local saw shop this past winter. Probably have about 20 tanks through it at this point. Not sure, but I'm guessing a little bar oil and sawdust worked their way into whatever was making the noise, which included a ringing implying the clutch drum was part of the source. Maybe your issue represents a real problem, but I think my was benign even though I was worried about when the saw was new.

I bought it new from a local saw shop this past winter. Probably have about 20 tanks through it at this point. Not sure, but I'm guessing a little bar oil and sawdust worked their way into whatever was making the noise, which included a ringing implying the clutch drum was part of the source. Maybe your issue represents a real problem, but I think my was benign even though I was worried about when the saw was new.

Thanks. I'm glad your saw worked it's way in. I assume the one I had was just one of those bad ones that got through the line. As we know, it happens to all the saw manufacturers. Even though I had this problem, I think the 590 is still the best bang for the buck. That saw can run. New saw will be here early next week.

Thanks Steve. Night and day from the other saw. Going to take it out after work to cut a few logs. For the money, you can't beat it.
I've been running Husqvarna's and Stilhs for twice the price. This is my first Echo chainsaw. I do own a ten year old back-pack blower from Echo. It's been great. No problems whatsoever.
I guess the first one slipped through the QC ??????

Back