Echo CS510 RPM ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is odd. I have a CS-510 and looked thru the "Instruction Manual Echo Chain Saw CS-510" and the RPM figure is not given anywhere. Out of curiousity I went to the Echo website and RPM info is not given out there either. Strange they would not provide this info. Every other manufacturer seems to.

http://www.atthecreation.com/

Max that's because Echo really wants them adjusted by a shop following the proper preceedure and tach.

Rich, Echo's proceedure ends up with the saw running with chain installed and no load between 12,000 and 13,000 rpm.

I've found that although a bit time consuming that Echo's proceedure for adjusting really does work. As long as the carb and saw are in proper condition you would be hard pressed to make Echo products run better then you would obtain doing it by the book.

I can write out the highlights if you're interested or I think my fax machine still works, I could fax the four pages if you want. My email addy is "[email protected]" if you want to send your fax number.

Bob

Originally posted by NevadaWalrus
Max that's because Echo really wants them adjusted by a shop following the proper preceedure and tach.

Rich, Echo's proceedure ends up with the saw running with chain installed and no load between 12,000 and 13,000 rpm.

I've found that although a bit time consuming that Echo's proceedure for adjusting really does work. As long as the carb and saw are in proper condition you would be hard pressed to make Echo products run better then you would obtain doing it by the book.

I can write out the highlights if you're interested or I think my fax machine still works, I could fax the four pages if you want. My email addy is "[email protected]" if you want to send your fax number.

Bob

Thanks for the time and the info!

I'll probably get some static on this, but I lean them out very briefly, then turn them back rich just about to the point where they sound to me like they are gettin enough fuel. Thats after the experience of doing hundreds over about a 24 year span.

I do occasionaly use a tach if I have one that does not seem to be responding (slowing down) with the richening mixture.

This is almost always followed by a test cut in my seasoned Ash logs. This to test for lugging power. I can tell when a saw is falling on its chin from too lean of mix.

This may not be useful info for those that have not set many carbs, but the ones who have will understand.

This Echo CS 510 started out at 15,200 RPM. Customer service at Echo told me 12,500 to 13,500 RPM. Unfortunately the carb limiter caps didn't permit lowering the RPM below 14,900 RPM! A little work on the carb got me where I needed to be. The saw runs real good now at 12,700 RPM. This RPM was attained adjusting the saw in the cut. RPM's were checked after the saw was set by ear!

Last edited:
I'm with Tony Snyder on this subject. Best power is obtained with a rich mixture, down around 13:1 air-to-fuel. With practice, an experienced ear can tell just the right amount of "blubber" that will clean out under load.

Test in the wood, though. There's nothing nicer than a sweet-running engine pulling it's best for you at right around its torque peak!

Echo must set their saws very lean. I had to remove the limiters on my CS-670 to get it to run right to. It had no lugging ability and just screamed at WOT the first time I ran it. Turned the highspeed to its stop, and it made hardly any difference.

Back