Echo has a new CS-490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walbro no longer suggests default settings in their service manuals. They refer you to the service manual for the equipment that the carb is on for default settings. 1 1/2 turns out from bottom on both the high and low needles should get you running w/ further adjustment required from that point.
If you take the limiter caps off, count the number of turns it takes to lightly seat the needles. That is your "factory tune".

My CS-490 does not have the default setting for H L, but I believe the 370 had listed.

Reason I'm asking is that when I pull the caps off, I will eventually take it off the default settings.

Worst case scenario, if I mess up the tune too much that I can't even start it, I can always put it back to factory settings.
When you pop the caps, count the turns to close and remember them.

What's the weight of the CS490?
New member here, and am really enjoying the discussions.

I just bought the Echo CS490 last week, and thought I would share my impressions. It's weight with 18" bar and no fluids is 13 lb 1 oz per my electronic suitcase scale. My first impressions are that the saw feels nicely balanced and starts in about 3-4 pulls.

I am a casual chainsaw user, primarily for storm cleanup. This year I have cut about a cord of wood using:
1. my 15 year old Poulan 16" saw
2. a borrowed Husky 55 rancher with 18" bar
3. 2 tanks of gas through the new Echo saw, with the standard safety chain.

It was my perception that the Husky had way more power than the 18" bar could make use of, so I decided to go with a 50cc saw as a better match and less weight. It is my perception that the 18" bar is all the Echo wants to handle, and starts to bog down if I push too hard. It also seems that the cut is much slower than the Husky on smaller logs...perhaps it doesn't turn as fast?

I also feel like it grabs and wants to kick back more in big logs than the other 2 saws I've run, which surprises me a bit. I wonder why that is?

I just bought the Echo CS490 last week, and thought I would share my impressions. It's weight with 18" bar and no fluids is 13 lb 1 oz per my electronic suitcase scale. My first impressions are that the saw feels nicely balanced and starts in about 3-4 pulls.

I am a casual chainsaw user, primarily for storm cleanup. This year I have cut about a cord of wood using:

It was my perception that the Husky had way more power than the 18" bar could make use of, so I decided to go with a 50cc saw as a better match and less weight. It is my perception that the 18" bar is all the Echo wants to handle, and starts to bog down if I push too hard. It also seems that the cut is much slower than the Husky on smaller logs...perhaps it doesn't turn as fast?

I also feel like it grabs and wants to kick back more in big logs than the other 2 saws I've run, which surprises me a bit. I wonder why that is?
Welcome new guy. Yeah i would run a bit more oil for breaking in your engine. And it may be the stick safety chain that may be making it slower. Not to mention the echo does take a while to break inn. May want to think about purchasing a better ligher chain and se how that works for you. Its always nice to have a extra chain anyways. Keep us posted on how the saw is treating you and im sure once it is broke inn maybe 1.5 gallons later youl be happy with it

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your thoughts on the 490. I would buy a good semi chisel non safety chain for the saw and see if it improves the cutting performance. As bikemike indicated, it takes an Echo a while to break in and I think you will note a performance increase over the next several tanks. A 50 cc saw should not have a problem with a sharp 18" chain unless you are in hard wood. You may want to pull your plug and check the color. You want a nice tan color, not grey at the tip.

No way a 55 Rancher is going to cut any where near as fast as any 50cc Echo, you need to tune it(most likely lean= no power) and open that clogged up muffler. As it comes the exhaust has about a 1/4" hole to get out. Steve

No way a 55 Rancher is going to cut any where near as fast as any 50cc Echo, you need to tune it(most likely lean= no power) and open that clogged up muffler. As it comes the exhaust has about a 1/4" hole to get out. Steve
Some of them old closed port 55's cut pretty fast. I've not heard much talk about any stock Echos being considered 'fast'. Good saws though...

Some of them old closed port 55's cut pretty fast. I've not heard much talk about any stock Echos being considered 'fast'. Good saws though...
10.6 pound vs how many for the rancher ? Lean your husky at 1/8 turn to see how much time they will run like date and how they perform ? Its not because i dont like husky i realy like the 346 version but now its turn in 550 ****** crap for me just good for copel of hour

My 450P works just fine with the 20" bar. Surprised it takes 3-4 pulls for the 490 as my 450 starts on the second every time even cold, The only time I had saw bog down on me was when I would get too aggressive with the 44" oak I was bucking.

My 450P works just fine with the 20" bar. Surprised it takes 3-4 pulls for the 490 as my 450 starts on the second every time even cold, The only time I had saw bog down on me was when I would get too aggressive with the 44" oak I was bucking.

450 has a primer bulb right, probably why you can start it faster? My 490 doesn't have one.

1) They make a filing guage that lays accross your teeth and the rakers will stick up thru a slot. You file the rakers down to level with the guage. Your saw dealer or hardware store should have it. Cheap.

2) If you are buying the grinder to do your rakers, dont bother. They should be filed by hand w/ a flat file. IMHO, the harbor fereight grinder is a waste of money. Too much slop in the grinder. I use the Northern Tool grinder(chinese knockoff of the 511A) and its a good grinder for $100.
3) Get you a spare chain, you need at least 2 in the event you mess one up while cutting. Semi chisel if you cut dirty wood. Just my two cents.

It takes 3-4 pulls when a cold start... only 1 pull for a warm start. I've been cutting 16 to 25" diam white oak logs from trees cut down last fall, if that helps you judge how hard of wood it is to cut.

It takes 3-4 pulls when a cold start... only 1 pull for a warm start. I've been cutting 16 to 25" diam white oak logs from trees cut down last fall, if that helps you judge how hard of wood it is to cut.

some videos of her in action would be cool cant get enough of saw videos....

Back