Echo has a new CS-490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome new guy. Yeah i would run a bit more oil for breaking in your engine. And it may be the stick safety chain that may be making it slower. Not to mention the echo does take a while to break inn. May want to think about purchasing a better ligher chain and se how that works for you. Its always nice to have a extra chain anyways. Keep us posted on how the saw is treating you and im sure once it is broke inn maybe 1.5 gallons later youl be happy with it

how much extra oil should I run? a 40:1 instead of 50:1? the dealer filled the tank when I picked it up, and my second tank is also a premix. I noticed that the exhaust odor was quite different than the unleaded gas mixed with oil....and its not very pleasant. Anybody else notice the smell is different?

Does anyone here use 100LL aviation fuel? I've heard it has a long shelf life and prevents the ethanol problems.
Thanks for the great information on this site!

how much extra oil should I run? a 40:1 instead of 50:1? the dealer filled the tank when I picked it up, and my second tank is also a premix. I noticed that the exhaust odor was quite different than the unleaded gas mixed with oil....and its not very pleasant. Anybody else notice the smell is different?

Does anyone here use 100LL aviation fuel? I've heard it has a long shelf life and prevents the ethanol problems.
I like 40.1 mix in all my saws. It may make ur spark arrestor screen dirty but it is so much better on the engine. Especially if it gets stored a while. It helps coat all the internal parts from oxidation. The aviation fuel i have no clue about now days been a few years since i used that. But a good 91 to 93 octane is just fine in the saws

It has lead in it. LL is low lead. That is enough reason not to use in a saw with the exhaust blowing right in your face. Just my opinion though.

91 octane pump gas is plenty good as long as you make sure to only use fresh gas.

bought the saw yesterday for camping/limbing and brush clearing work with a 371xp/272xp picking up the rest.

I finesse all of my equipment.. i let the tool do the work.. in other words, fire anyone who breaks your tool.. they think they have competition.

I have a 16/20/24 combo of saws and the 490 will fit nicely in the 16 slot (althought it did come with a 20,.. i thought it was a good cost saving maneuver..).

Carry two types of chains with it, a full skip and regular for pine/oak/whatever. Yes, the Gauge is NOT Oregon G78 for 20" bars.. it is a .325 pitch .050 gauge chain that you use a 3/16" file on.. the 78, drive links.

I have not gotten it in the cut yet (dealer pricing requires dealer patience on both my part and my manager). I am a mechanic and if anyone has studied the parts diagram on this saw.. you can see that Echo learned from the 500p and still made some tweaks to the design (front/side chain tensioner screws instead of a front, on the 500p).

I won't mention what I paid out the door but i imagine several others have done the same as I.

I'm happy with the design, I'll get back after I've cut for a few hours.

Yes, rakers. Sorry.

Just want to get the tool now which I will eventually use. I also purchased a harbor freight sharpener :)
Good buy!
... the harbor fereight grinder is a waste of money. Too much slop in the grinder....
I strongly disagree and have shown here the comparison videos. It will make a Stihl chain as sharp as store bought brand new chain. That in my eyes is enough for most uses.

@all,

Does anyone have time to make a video of the 490 cutting!?

I test out saws by making cuts on a 3' round of Eucalyptus in the back of my shop (it helps calibrate, newer Husky saws).

I've tested personal saws.

Husky 61 (272xp top end) with full tooth/24" bar cut well and deep and feels like a monster truck rally (similar to my friends 291 with a similar setup).

371xp is being rebuilt (verdict later and a rebuild thread once it's all assembled).

Jonsered 49sp with a full skip chain, it just slices through the log.

Echo CS-490... what a dog with a stock chain.. i suppose you can cut cottonwood with it but not much else.

but.. with a built up .325/050 66dl full skip stihl make chain, it is amazing. i felt happy holding it in the cut, i will see where my camera is tomorrow.

Edit: 8:24PST 5/28.

Stock Bar/Chain (20")

New (used one lying around the shop) and new chain (Stihl RS, downsized from an earlier saw i had). 16"

so i'll make a new 20" chain tomorrow and hopefully have a video comparison up and running.

I plan to install a 16" bar and chain. Can you guys provide the Oregon replacement bar and chain? Thanks in advance.
I run the 500p with oregon power match 15'' bar and chain , the bar need a modification to fit with the 500p , i open a hole with a chain file for the oil hole .

I've installed a 16" Echo bar with a Stihl .325/.050 chain. It is literally like comparing spreading cold/warm butter on toast when i took it to the giant eucalyptus but, I found that the log we have at work, is not a good demo for a video (3' round and upright).

I have yet to make a new chain for the 20" bar for comparison, I've been the only mechanic on duty for the past few days.

ea47ab045b37f402186f93c48075c2f0.jpg
9433c9848cb40ff45224ac44141bda98.jpg
. The piston of my 500p
Lost a piece between the 2 ring , no damage to the cylinder so i got new 490
And put new
Piston on the 500p for spair
Saw . The 490 with good
Tune run like the 500 [emoji108]

I concur on the pump.gass if you use ur saw enough you won't have a problem and some of the new oils also have fuel stablelizer in it. good fuel or cheep fuel your fuel lines will onlylast so long if you ever needto replaceline a carb kit is a good idea to.
It has lead in it. LL is low lead. That is enough reason not to use in a saw with the exhaust blowing right in your face. Just my opinion though.

91 octane pump gas is plenty good as long as you make sure to only use fresh gas.

Sam, I bought a 450P with a bad piston. How are those "modified clamshell" Echos to work on as far as getting the motor out of the case? Do you have any disassembly/assembly advice? I do not have a service manual and never had this type of Echo apart before. Thanks in advance.

The rear handle is not so bad to pull apart. just be carefull of removing the oiler that has to be done with 3screws as the puller for oil pump
Sam, I bought a 450P with a bad piston. How are those "modified clamshell" Echos to work on as far as getting the motor out of the case? Do you have any disassembly/assembly advice? I do not have a service manual and never had this type of Echo apart before. Thanks in advance.

I got the cs450 pulled down over dads day and got the cylinder cleaned up and prepped for a new piston. Will gut the muffler(remove the cat) and pull the limit tabs on carb /retune while its apart. I think it's easier to work on than a stihl(ms 290) because the bar stud does not serve as an engine anchor bolt and I really like the mag case on the echo. Although somewhat heavier than some saws of that size(Stihl 250) , the echo is built much better. Only gripe(so far) is the inboard clutch making it necessary to pull the clutch to change the rim sprocket. Echo could have improved this on what they call a "pro" saw.

Latest posts

Back