Electric wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06switchback

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My uncle asked me to find him an electric splitter not looking to split anything big it's wood for camp fires at his place on the lake we have a big hydraulic we use around home but it's not going on the boat ride over his back won't let him split by hand anymore

So my question is who makes one that is worth the money

I see some small ones online but was looking for someone who has some experience with one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I personally find them a joke ... they will split pine but no a lot else

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I have a Speeco 5 ton, and it works ok for small stuff. It's not light(~80lb). It's not real fast either, but it is small, compact, and it does the job on making small stuff from larger splits that you might want for campfire wood.. That's including most of the hardwoods, as well as pine.

Harbor Freight runs deals on the 5 ton unit they sell....$259.99 with a discount code. A buddy of mine had a used HF unit he bought off €raigslist cheap that we adapted to power a tube bender..it had no problems busting up Ash or Hard Maple. Like what was said above it was damn slow but if you're just tinkering around it would chug along on 10-12" rounds all day.

Thanks for all the replies I think I'm leaning towards the 5 ton homelite or similar but I don't know what he was thinking of spending either so the final decision will be left up to him

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Just went and took a pic of wher tje pump ajust screw is. Its behind this rusty lookin bolt.
715f62019d7b1d18d94d09ff082cb9f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

If you turn it in all the way like i did and ya get a tough block.it wont do it will stop the motor and spin it backwards. Not a big deal just shut off till all comes to stop then fire back up.
You could play with yours and turn in little at a time thought.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Tip: tie that yellow handle in the down position (I used a bungie cord) for one-handed operation.

Back