Engine Block Heaters/Keeping Things Warrrrrrrmmmm!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DR. P. Proteus

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Everyone is familiar with these. I recently came across a dipstick style heater, it glowed red hot so I did not use it.

But I still needed something to get into the tight confines of my loader because the throttle and controls get locked under a certain temp and I can't use the machine.

Any sort of contact with any of the rubber or plastic parts of this machine with pretty much any heater is sure to be bad.

Today, I threw a tarp over the machine and ran 4" drain pipe into one of the vents from the exhaust. If I hadn't the machine would still be sitting there.

I know there is some sort of temperature switch that locks the throttle though I am not sure where. I think its on the hydro side of things.

No matter now and after thinking about what kind of heater would work I solved the problem with what I had. I kinda always thought I would need to heat a machine like that, I certainly have heated them other ways, I am glad to be someone who would need to do something like that. I am something amist over the whole experience, I kinda feel like I am in some sort of club. AM I?

What is the machine?

We generally don't fuss too much with heaters. Sometimes when it's cold and a machine is fussy we just stuff a salamander heater for a bit. Luckily we don't get cold too often. Maybe 10-15 days of -5* or colder.

Used a 60'x40' tarp all the way up and over the old Hi-Ranger. Filled it with a bullet heater like a hot air balloon. Warmed the motor, fiberglass, hoses, and the hydraulic fluid all at once.

The do make magnetic heaters to stick on the oil pan.
I've seen in catalogs for diesel fired coolant heaters. I've also heard of connectors guys use to hook there trucks coolant hoses via quick connect up to the piece of equipment and circulate the hot water from the truck into the cold equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back