Englander model 28-3500 wood furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mustangwagz,
Thanks so much for the reply, the info you provided me has helped me to get a better grip on this unit... Sunday evening it was 22deg outside and i was in my skivies in the living room :msp_w00t: it was 84 in the house.. the wife is loving not having to bundle up to watch TV.

again, thank you for your help!

How far is too far to link stove to main trunk of central furnace duct work?

I am thinking about getting an Englander model 28-3500 wood furnace to put in my unfinished, uninsulated basement. The Furnace is on one end of the basement and the chimney is at the other end so they are at least 50-60 feet apart. It is my understanding that you want the hot air outlet duct work to connect to the main central furnace right above the actual furnace, right? Is the fan that comes with the Englander going to be powerful enough to push air trough 50-60 ft of duct work to get to my main furnace and then let my main furnace fan do the rest of the work? Or maybe i can run duct work from the stove to the middle of the main furnace duct work so everything "down stream" kitchen/dining room, and bedrooms are heated? Just looking for some advice. Thanks!

Anyone here go from an Englander to epa type furnace to compare wood usage for the year?

I apologize to renew this thread, however I think might question is worth posting.

I am going to install the englander and I want to know if you can take of the side panel air jackets are they riveted or what type of screws. I would like to take them off during a power outage when the gen is not on to heat the house like the daka furnaces do. Also, will the top cover come off? Also, This should then expose the hot stove part of the furnace does it have a flat surface at the top to where I can cook on it like a wood stove just to heat up water etc in an emergency. If anyone has any pics of the jacket off please post. Thank you.

I apologize to renew this thread, however I think might question is worth posting.

I am going to install the englander and I want to know if you can take of the side panel air jackets are they riveted or what type of screws. I would like to take them off during a power outage when the gen is not on to heat the house like the daka furnaces do. Also, will the top cover come off? Also, This should then expose the hot stove part of the furnace does it have a flat surface at the top to where I can cook on it like a wood stove just to heat up water etc in an emergency. If anyone has any pics of the jacket off please post. Thank you.

i dont got no pics of mine tore apart, but ive had the screws out n stuff. i tighten them atleast once a season as they come loose. When the chimney pipe is on, its not possible to remove top piece cuz the flu pipe base (part of firebox) actually rises through the top of tin work. You could install a "trap door" kinda thingy if ya wanted? I run mine with a generator IF i have to...i just usally turn it way down according to chimney thermometer and then leave it radiate the heat. still works pretty well.

Can you turn the top plate around that way I can have access to the top front of the stove part of the furnace?

Thanks, my plan is to use it like a typical wood stove to cook on like you can with a traditional wood stove. This will be useful especially if the power is out long so I can have some hot water.

Since we all have the same wood furnace, I would like to share my experience with you, , although this is the way I operating the RE: stove I am open to any suggestions that would improve my operations of the stove.

I added secondary tubes... I have a how-to posted on Youtube.
Longer burns 8-10 hours - cleaner burns and WAY EASIER to run...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC1ip37bke8MviPj6_JM1KA

It is like like a different stove... I can't say enough about it... if you have a 28-3500... and you are frustrated like I was - it makes a HUGE difference.

RE:
I also added a filter box to mine, but i had to build it.

Can you post pics of the custom filter box? I need one and I am not sure how big to build it etc. I don't want to stress the blower and I don't want to clog up the works etc etc
Is the filter still working well?
What type of filters do you use? Super fine or std?

Also, if you are interested.. I added burn tubes and it works great.!
Longer burns - cleaner and WAY EASY to run...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC1ip37bke8MviPj6_JM1KA
It is like like a different stove... I can't say enough about it... it makes a HUGE difference.
Thanks!

PM me with any detailed pics ya got of how ya routed the pipes inside. Id like to do mine as well. Ive seen a few pics and videos now of this mod.

Back