Englander NC 30

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimberWolf530

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Home Depot has the Englander 30 NC(H) (I think they add the H for Home Depot) on sale for $719, so I think it may be time to retire the old Fisher Honey Bear, and pull the trigger on one of these. I would appreciate some feedback from those who have used one of these for awhile, especially those who replaced an old inefficient 1970's stove like mine. Did you notice a big difference in the amount of wood used? I burned between 4 and 5 cords this past season. How does it do as far as actual vs rated home size? My house is right at 2,000 sq ft. Standard vs upgraded fan. And finally, would you buy it again?

I love mine. I replaced an early Vermont Castings defiant stove. Much longer burn times with the 30NC. I probably burn between 25-33% less wood. It's hard to say because I burn earlier and later with the Englander since it is easier to regulate the fire. I went from 8 cords to 6 and probably use the Englander for six more weeks of shoulder season.

I have had mine for five years and it has required zero maintenance. I would buy another one in a heartbeat and recommend one to anyone looking for a larger stove. It is simple and robust and I don't think there is a better stove for your money.

Get back on HD's site, set "your store" to #1534 Durango Colorado and watch what happens to the price :happybanana: add $99 to that and it gets dropped in your driveway...unbeatable wood heating value! (I bought one and I don't even need a stove! :rolleyes:)

To answer your questions...get on any of the wood heat forums and ask around, this will be one of, if not the top stove named as "most bang for the buck", very highly rated. The only people that don't give 5's on the reviews are either ignoring the manufactures install/chimney requirements or are trying to burn wet wood.
Very customer service oriented American company...and, one of their service reps hangs out on and contributes to several of the popular wood stove forums.
Should be fine with 2000 ft house as long as your insulation is at least average.
And from what I hear the optional fan is recommended.

I've had one for a couple of years and am very pleased with it. Make sure the wood is dry and it won't disappoint.

I'm heating 2200sf of marginally insulated, drafty, 190 year old farm house. The stove is pretty much in the center of the house and I have a somewhat open floor plan. It isn't like current "open concept" but I have lots of large open doorways between rooms. There is about a ten degree temperature swing from the coldest to warmest rooms which I can live with. I am not using the fan due to clearance.

I could heat 100% with wood and nothing would freeze. I do run the heat pump a bit to warm the house in the morning and when it gets really cold. It's a cheap way to keep the wife happy.

Get back on HD's site, set "your store" to #1534 Durango Colorado and watch what happens to the price :happybanana: add $99 to that and it gets dropped in your driveway...unbeatable wood heating value! (I bought one and I don't even need a stove! :rolleyes:)
WOW, $200 difference in price, I can order one in Colorado and pick it up in my local store and save a lot of money.

I'm seriously considering an NC17 for my 900 sf garage. Should be about the right match. Of course I need to do a bunch of cleaning out to get enough room and then insulate to be able to hold the heat.

God for you .. Your going to love it . I have a nc13 with a fan kit and it heats my entire garage on the coldest day . A nc30 is it's bigger brother. Englander is a great company who stands behind each product they sell

Well, it's being delivered today. This is my first brand new stove, so should I fire it up outside to cure the paint, or will I be OK just installing it, and curing it with the first fire of the fall? I refinished my current stove when I bought it, and the curing process wasn't too bad. It smelled a little for a few hours, but it wasn't overpowering. Thoughts??????

A curing fire is a good idea but plenty of people do without, wouldn't be too bad if you do it on a fall day when you can open all the windows to air the house out.
Off topic but what exactly are we looking at there in your avatar pic?

I installed mine and built a few small, but progressively bigger fires to cure. There was some odor but it wasn't unbearable.

A curing fire is a good idea but plenty of people do without, wouldn't be too bad if you do it on a fall day when you can open all the windows to air the house out.
Off topic but what exactly are we looking at there in your avatar pic?
Thanks, and it's a pickup truck that is vinyl wrapped to look like a largemouth bass.

I bought my nc13 for 249$ At a lowes spring clearance cuz it had a dent in the back air jacket from being rough handled on the shipping truck .I pryed it back to shape in one minute once I got home . Very nice units for the money !

Latest posts

Back