Ethanol fuel additives?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During my research I discovered most ethanol fuel treatments contain ALCOHOL, and other harsh solvents. Only two products I know use a petroleum base. Star-Tron enzyme fuel treatment, and Sta-Bil marine ethanol formula. With that said non of them are really going to do anything to prevent damage to fuel lines and other plastic and rubber components. Some of these products, like liquid performance and ethanol shield are sketchy to say the least, and likely contain alcohol. I would never use that garbage in any engine IMHO.

Check the link below.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_additive_safe_with_e10_list.html

As usual, a lot of hype about a very minor problem. The main problem is not the ethanol or the amount in the fuel, but in reality the saw producers! It has been known for at least 15 years that ethanol will be introduced as an additive to fuel. But still the saw manufacturers have reacted like a bunch of idiots, if we can believe the paranoia going around here on this site. Although thankfully it has calmed down a little bit in the recent year.
So good luck folks and buy all the snake oil you can get!

Why is the testing done with water? Shouldn't it be done with ethanol laced gas? I thought ethanol absorbed moisture. remember when we all used dry-gas during the winter? I don't believe in any of those additives. I empty and run dry. Show me a real life video. I may be persuaded slightly.

And as I have already evaluated multiple times, where in gods world is this mysterious water supposed to come from that is absorbed through the ethanol?
Of course threw the air is the common assumption.

Of course no one has ever taken science into the equasion!

1. Ambient air during the summer contains, of course the numbers are only approximately for regular north american climate, only one - three drops of water in a cubic yard of air!

2. The colder it get's the less the air can be saturated with water.

3. Plastic containers used for fuel storage should of course be out of a special plastic approved for fuel storage. For example HDPE.
How well does "air" pass through the walls of a closed plastic container out of HDPE?
About zero.
How well does water pass through the walls of a closed plastic container out of HDPE?
Even less than air.

So what is the conclusion we are slowly comming too?

Exactly!!! Snake oil will save my equipment! Lol

Good luck folks and come to my store because only I have the reel and only additive for your problems...

No produce truly "removes" water from your fuel.
Its still in there some how some way, either emulsified of held in suspension but its in there!
Heck, even ethanol will hold water in solution.
All part of the scheme for oil companies to sell you water IMHO.

Bad video!! BS alert. Not saying LiquidPerformance is bad, in any way... but that vid is SHADY. Note how camera stays centered until they get to LP. Film cuts, "water" bottle level changes, bottle is moved, film blur cuts back in.... New "water" is added.... SHADY. Same thing happens again when they show results..... Guess what: LiquidPerformance wins.
No synthetic petroleum additive can/will neutralize water. Separation prevention is what counts.
Good catch, I was impressed with the video, but didn't notice the film cuts until you pointed them out. I use Sta-Bil, drain the chainsaw when finished and run it until the carb is empty. No gas issues in 30+ years.

Arctic Preventative Maintenance calls for all fuel tanks to be topped off for short term storage. (Short term being less than one year) It prevents condensation on the inside of the fuel tank. In all my power equipment I use non ethanol gas. If I was forced to use ethanol gas, I would empty and run dry before any long term storage. Try your own experiment. Take a saw that runs and fill it with ethanol and then put it on the shelf for a year or so.

This stuff my all be snake oil but I've seen the gas that my dealer drains out of the equipment that comes into his shop for repair. He saves it in Mason jars and dates it and puts the customers name on it. He marks the level with a Sharpy marker on the jar. He uses it for ammo when said customer comes into his shop mother f@#king him for charging said customer for work that customer demands for free under warraunty. You should see how fast fuel evaporates even in a sealed Mason jar. He sold me on not storing gas for more than a few days.

I even check fuel when I get it from the pump in winter. The hightest has usually been under ground since September. My simple test is to buy a quart and put it in a Mason jar. Try it and chances are you will never buy 91 octane in the winter again.

You can avoid the slug of ethanol by shaking your fuel can before filling the saw up and that accelerated deterioration of rubber can be offset somewhat by not letting equipment sit around with fuel in it.

If ethanol phase separation has occurred and you have that "slug" of a high concentration of ethanol as you call it, shaking will do no good as it will not mix back up with the gasoline.

As usual, a lot of hype about a very minor problem. The main problem is not the ethanol or the amount in the fuel, but in reality the saw producers! It has been known for at least 15 years that ethanol will be introduced as an additive to fuel. But still the saw manufacturers have reacted like a bunch of idiots, if we can believe the paranoia going around here on this site. Although thankfully it has calmed down a little bit in the recent year.
So good luck folks and buy all the snake oil you can get!

The saw manufactures can do whatever but still cannot overcome the inconsistent ethanol blends that are out there as well as poor storage habits of the owners.

It is a minor problem if it is understood and handled properly by the equipment owners but that won't happen for 99% of the small equipment owners out there.

You seem to have strong opinions on the gas in the USA like you know first hand what we go through. Would you mind explaining this? Do you have ethanol blended fuels to deal with in your country?

I agree completely with you that the user is the major problem in small machine problems. And yes we have the same ethanol situation as in the us.
What I don't understand sofar is that no one has ever filed a claim against a gas station if the ethanol was so inconsistent and problems have evolved.
Although you are correct that I have no idea about the us judicial system.

Echo claims and I tend to believe them that 20 percent ethanol will not hurt a small engine if tuned to run on it. The problems with engine damage from ethanol occur because of inconsistent mix rates in our fuel. Gas station A has 0 percent this week and next week it could be as high as 15 or 20 all the while the pumps are labeled 10 or less.

No idea how the judicial system is in the us, but here the gas station owner is responsible for what he sells. One law suite and across the land every gas station is going to check what they get delivered.
But then again the problem doesn't seem so problematic except here, or else someone would have already taken action.

If ethanol phase separation has occurred and you have that "slug" of a high concentration of ethanol as you call it, shaking will do no good as it will not mix back up with the gasoline.
It was my understanding that if the ethanol was separating from the fuel That shaking would remix it. And products like quickshot/ stabil prevented it from separating to begin with. Apparently I need to do more reading on this. I am guilty of thinking I had a decent understanding of the problem when I didn't.
I will go to my corner and shut up now. :(

No idea how the judicial system is in the us, but here the gas station owner is responsible for what he sells. One law suite and across the land every gas station is going to check what they get delivered.
But then again the problem doesn't seem so problematic except here, or else someone would have already taken action.

I'm surprised you have Ethanol in your country. I thought the US was the only one forcing this hoax on there country.

It was my understanding that if the ethanol was separating from the fuel That shaking would remix it. And products like quickshot/ stabil prevented it from separating to begin with. Apparently I need to do more reading on this. I am guilty of thinking I had a decent understanding of the problem when I didn't.
I will go to my corner and shut up now. :(

More reading is good, you just have to be careful where your reading it from. These internet boards are full of bull sometime.

I got my education the hard way after having been surprised to find that I even had a Ethanol problem. (thats a whole other story how are government stuck it up our behinds) I ended up having to replace fuel lines on 50 of my own saws at once from it.

My fuel at the time tested 30%. I got my education from folks in the know, the fuel line manufacture among other places.

I have done my own testing for the last 3 going on 4 years now. I have tried several additives in my own equipment stored for 6-7 months at a time. Lawn mowers, golf carts, jet ski, trimmers, sealed and unsealed test jars.

I have concluded that Startron is the best I have used. Really works, no phase separation in anything, equipment, sealed test jars and test jars that had a bit of water added.

The gas at the end of 7 months even smelled fresher then Stabil or ethanol shield as unscientific as that is.

Believe what you want, but I know what works for me. I took the time to research and do my own testing.

I agree completely with you that the user is the major problem in small machine problems. And yes we have the same ethanol situation as in the us.
What I don't understand sofar is that no one has ever filed a claim against a gas station if the ethanol was so inconsistent and problems have evolved.
Although you are correct that I have no idea about the us judicial system.

I never did notice ethanol on the pumps in Germany or Austria. In the end the proof is in the pudding. Those that repair small engines have said there was a spike when people would continue to leave fuel in their OPE with Ethanol in it. I know my car runs better on the E-free gas but it is also a higher octane fuel as well. I think the issue is also the degradation of the fuel lines as well. I have seen more and more stihl equipment with the green fuel lines.

Latest posts

Back