Everybody wants a diy CSM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To simplify it further the clamps could be replaced by drilling the bar and bolting the mill to the bar.
This also makes it easier to change the chain.

What you call the "slider" are usually called "Mill Rails" (as opposed to Log rails).
Because your Mill Rail is so wide it will add friction to the milling operation which is why narrower mill rails are used.
It probably doesn't matter so much on a small mill but it makes a big difference on a bigger mill.
Also it won't make much difference when your mill is used on log rails which reduces the contact area so if you used log rails for every cut.

yes, olyman, my grandson did the countersinking for the flange bolts and the handles; this rig has seen several mods -- up-sized to take a 36-inch bar and has a nose-guard; next project is to slab a cedar log for a bench along the Chetco River

The fellow that I based my kiln from made a video earlier this year of his homemade mill... looks similar..easy peasy as long as it does the job.

G Vavra

Back