Excavator stuck!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While that is certainy stuck, I have seen worse. Few years back a larger machine broke through while crossing a peat bog to dig out a skidsteer that had suck nearly fifteen feet below the ground. Had the hoe in deep enough that the top of the cab was even with the sod. Took a couple of dozers a week of moving dirt to build a road out too it, then a few heavy duty wreckers hooked together while chained off to the dozers started winching. It was like trying to pull a boot out of the mud with all the suction. Finally got it after rolling the machine end over end. I don't even want to know what the tow bill was. The real kicker is they guy got another smaller piece stuck in the same bog later that year...:msp_w00t:

Some guys never learn. :)

I've been running dirt equipment for 12 years. I've been stuck at least 3x every year. If you dont get stuck, you're not working. You just need to know when to be careful and when to push it. I work a little more carefully when I'm the only or biggest piece on the job. But I'll get crazy when I'm on a skidloader and there's a PC400 and a D6 LGP nearby.

But its a little disheartening when you see an excavator buried enough that you cant open the door and only the exhaust stack is sticking out.

That was a pretty bad stuck there. Glad you got it out. I have seen machines abandoned that were stuck before.
That was on our minds. Dan just got this thing paid off last year so he was not looking forward to having to buy another one for sure! We were glad the rain held off and the river stayed in its banks while we were there getting er out. That would have sucked if it had been submerged or even partially submerged. Would have made a bad situation even worse!!:msp_scared:

Here's a few more pics....
excavator2039.jpg
excavator2060.jpg
excavator2138.jpg
excavator2140.jpg

Last edited:
This pic is priceless with that paw stickin out of the hole on the right say "help me" :laugh:

excavatorstuck1003.jpg

I would cry if i sumped up a machine that bad. All it takes is for some sandy water to get in the motor and it is done. Glad yall got it out

Stuck....

A cat skinner years ago when I worked summers for the USFS taught me a good way to get a cat out of a mud bog that might work with an exavator. We had a Case 350 dozer stuck in a logging cut, with mud up to the seat. That cat had a hydraulic blade and he pushed up the front tracks so they were such I could get a log chained to the tracks on both sides. He simply drove the cat out backwards after I go the log chained up on both sides. No pictures, long time ago (about 40 years ago) and digital cameras where not available then.

This was between Pinedale and Bondurant Wyoming way up in the mountains. You could walk on the hard surface early in the spring (June at that elevation) but the vibration of the dozer broke through to the saturated muck underneath. The dozer just simply started down in the old log landing site.

A cat skinner years ago when I worked summers for the USFS taught me a good way to get a cat out of a mud bog that might work with an exavator. We had a Case 350 dozer stuck in a logging cut, with mud up to the seat. That cat had a hydraulic blade and he pushed up the front tracks so they were such I could get a log chained to the tracks on both sides. He simply drove the cat out backwards after I go the log chained up on both sides. No pictures, long time ago (about 40 years ago) and digital cameras where not available then.
This was between Pinedale and Bondurant Wyoming way up in the mountains. You could walk on the hard surface early in the spring (June at that elevation) but the vibration of the dozer broke through to the saturated muck underneath. The dozer just simply started down in the old log landing site.

I've heard of that before but was told that you can break a track doing that. So I guess you just gotta take it easy doing it that way. It's a good idea no doubt. :)

I would cry if i sumped up a machine that bad. All it takes is for some sandy water to get in the motor and it is done. Glad yall got it out

We all were glad to get it out and so was the owner! Now that we have had this experience we'll know how to get'r out when it happens next time. ;)

Nice pics- looks like the machine should have never been out there-but you have to learn. And one thing Ive learned(33 years experience), if you are stuck-you are not working either and could do some real damage $$$$.:msp_smile:

Thanks for sharing. Get around the muck and that'll happen. I have done a few recoveries like that. Things add up quick$$$ I took a rented hoe 25 miles up the river to the face of a glacier and almost tipped it a few times from fast water and gravel that was like jelly and gave no support. :msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back