Experiment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lingerie in what coulors

in stihl orange and white or only in husqvarna orange or mayby some makita blue but wait how about poulan green ..... :monkey: :)

I just thought you guys may have been interested in the fact, that
someone actually bought Stihl saws, and parted them out, on e-bay, and
made it through winter. Also there were some interesting tidbits learned
along with that, that you all would likely want to know.

I want to know, so please tell me what you learned.

Good idea for "surviving" the winter.

How many units (complete)?

Did you try to keep it to one unit at a time, or multiple.

290's only?

Ok, you're going to need to put down the single malt for a sec and give us the scoop. Did the parts sell for more than the saws? What made you think of doing this? Did you do it on a bet? Do you have any idea why the pistons were fubarred? You know, stuff like that.

I started by buying from neighboring dealers, and the profits were great.
But every week, the markup was lower, as the a-hole copycats took their
toll. The ms290 on the shelf, was $1600 in Stihl Parts, =retail

I know I am an idiot for starting this thread, but I am an idiot, eh???????????

Does parting out all those 290's and selling them on ebay, have anything to do with you no longer working there? :monkey:

Jeeze, I dunno, it sounds pretty enterprising to me. People want parts, sell 'em parts. I actually see why you chose the 290..... a fairly low-cost saw to buy, with a huge demand....hence, parts are worth more.

On the other hand.... is your wife around there to take your temperature?

I care....

....is this a great troll or what?

Could someone ask him what his control group was for this experiment? I find it hard to place any value on his findings if his only control group was a OEM piston straight out of a box, having never been assembled or installed into a cylinder.

And to inquire further, what kind of damage could be done to a piston that is in a new saw at a shop, and the saw gets handled a few hundred times by every lawn jockey wanting to see how much compression it has, dry and unfueled. This is a serious question for me, is it a factor?

I am on his ignore list I think. I'd question his integrity, but I don't believe much anyway.

Truly though, even if its false or a troll, it begs the question of "dry starts", and has merit for discussion.

What do you guys think?

I do this at work as well- every so often will pull the most popular saw at the time off the shelf and part it out. More money in parts than selling the whole saw-piston& cylinder,tank clutch parts,bar and plastics more than pay for the saw. Sometimes get stuck with cases but they go eventually.

The e-bay thing was a pretty good idea fish!

....is this a great troll or what?

Could someone ask him what his control group was for this experiment? I find it hard to place any value on his findings if his only control group was a OEM piston straight out of a box, having never been assembled or installed into a cylinder.

And to inquire further, what kind of damage could be done to a piston that is in a new saw at a shop, and the saw gets handled a few hundred times by every lawn jockey wanting to see how much compression it has, dry and unfueled. This is a serious question for me, is it a factor?

I am on his ignore list I think. I'd question his integrity, but I don't believe much anyway.

Truly though, even if its false or a troll, it begs the question of "dry starts", and has merit for discussion.

What do you guys think?
Experiments are not necessarily comparisons. One can perform an experiement to see how much money one can make doing a particular thing--it doesn't have to be in comparison to how much money one can make doing anything else.

And yes, I certainly believe he's parted saws out and sold them, because he's posted links to his auctions several different times.

Hmmm.. I know a guy that's been doing this for years... and his name isn't Fish... lolololol.

Last edited:
I'm sorry let me clarify

Sorry, not clear. Could the damage be from dry starting the saw, twas my real question.

Another device/toy I enjoy (from another hobby) is not nearly as durable, and folks tend to want to handle them and "check them out", when they really have no intention of purchasing, to the point we have to put one out as a demo about every six months, just to keep the rest of the inventory from being *used*.

Sorry, not clear. Could the damage be from dry starting the saw, twas my real question.

Another device/toy I enjoy (from another hobby) is not nearly as durable, and folks tend to want to handle them and "check them out", when they really have no intention of purchasing, to the point we have to put one out as a demo about every six months, just to keep the rest of the inventory from being *used*.

Dayummmmmmmm GeeVee I must say you got a point there. Up at the store I always have to discount alittle on a display saw thats been picked up by many. I always hear "I don't want something thats been handled by every customer thats been in this store" I always say ok, 5% off and they grab it. Only happens though when its the last one in the store. Most times they get a new one out the box.

Dayumm customers always have a angle. No wonder we raised the prices 5% on the shelf models,LOL

No, just observations of my "winter" experiment................

Which should be "good" reading..

As far as the other, "who gives a ****"
I have been attacked here for 7 years, so that does not really matter.

I just thought you guys may have been interested in the fact, that
someone actually bought Stihl saws, and parted them out, on e-bay, and
made it through winter. Also there were some interesting tidbits learned
along with that, that you all would likely want to know.

But hey, it does not matter much.... Now does it????????????

Next year, I will likely sell lingerie...................

I got to this and want to know more about the "expieriment". I'm new here but
cant we all just get along

Latest posts

Back