Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome pictures pard and I can't wait till you can tote the go pro on yet forehead and show us a day with Jamie lol. Safe cuttin bro
How's she going Brad? Hope things are all good me man. Today would have been a good day for the GoPro. You guys could have watched me get beat down trying to open up in big wood.
Foged out the morning so just a 5 hour day so we tried to kill off a little block. I didn't get to far. We both had to spring board today. Here's a SpIMG_20160915_133239139_HDR.jpg IMG_20160915_130341392.jpg IMG_20160915_122408845_HDR.jpg IMG_20160915_152039186.jpg ruce stick and a 74" Cedar. The cedar was on the lower boundary leaning down. Managed to lay it out and springboard for the back cut. The cut the saw was in was just to hold it for the pic. Humboldt complete but haven't cut my swanson yet in the pic. First two 3. 8 metre 12 ft shingle butts will be riped in half (rippers)by the riggers. Too heavy to fly.
Cedar schoolmarm blown down and a split ugly cedar.

There is a guy whose photos I enjoy on Instagram who apparently passed away recently. Username westcoastfaller. He was a Canadian faller, always putting pics and vids of big sticks on the coast. Wondering if anyone knows him, or what happened.
The internet has been real bad since yesterday and I only have my phone but I believe thats Ian that past on Sunday, If you look at Campbell River Mirror in the obituary there is a pic of him holding a Salmon. You may be able to tell better. I didn't know him, pretty young guy but most of the crew here worked with him up 'till a few months ago when ATF dispersed. Some are flying out to the funeral and others will choose not to because its to hard on the head as they would have to fly back and finish their shift.. its like going through it twice. A lot of us donated a days pay, myself included. One guy was torn between going, I told him last night; life is for the living and you can meet up with him another time. Not much for details, other that another snag top. I hear his dad has been posting alot on FB? If its not him then give me more details like a Name and I'll likely give you the story.

How's she going Brad? Hope things are all good me man. Today would have been a good day for the GoPro. You guys could have watched me get beat down trying to open up in big wood.
Foged out the morning so just a 5 hour day so we tried to kill off a little block. I didn't get to far. We both had to spring board today. Here's a SpView attachment 525790 View attachment 525789 View attachment 525788 View attachment 525778 ruce stick and a 74" Cedar. The cedar was on the lower boundary leaning down. Managed to lay it out and springboard for the back cut. The cut the saw was in was just to hold it for the pic. Humboldt complete but haven't cut my swanson yet in the pic. First two 3. 8 metre 12 ft shingle butts will be riped in half (rippers)by the riggers. Too heavy to fly.
We're doing well Jamie, and I'm glad to see you're reducing the BC shade lol. Those are some nice sticks except that split up ugly cedar, that one don't look like much fun. Hope fog lifts for you guys and cut safe pard

The internet has been real bad since yesterday and I only have my phone but I believe thats Ian that past on Sunday, If you look at Campbell River Mirror in the obituary there is a pic of him holding a Salmon. You may be able to tell better. I didn't know him, pretty young guy but most of the he crew here worked with him up 'till a few months ago when ATF dispersed. Some are flying out to the funeral and others will choose not to because its to hard on the head as they would have to fly back and finish their shift.. its like going through itt twice. A lot of us donated a days pay, myself included. One guy was torn between going, I told him last night, life is for the living, and you can meet up with him soon. Not much for details, other that another snag top. I hear his dad has been posting alot on FB? If its not him then give me more details like a Name and I'll likely give you the story.
Man I hate to hear of another guy lost in the bush, too many men give er while in the bush and I could only imagine what it's like for those attending service the fly back for the last half of shift. Its a hard way sometimes to think of it but you're bang on pard.........life's for living and like my uncle Buzz Martin says..........they'll all get a piece of every logger's reward.......

The internet has been real bad since yesterday and I only have my phone but I believe thats Ian that past on Sunday, If you look at Campbell River Mirror in the obituary there is a pic of him holding a Salmon. You may be able to tell better. I didn't know him, pretty young guy but most of the he crew here worked with him up 'till a few months ago when ATF dispersed. Some are flying out to the funeral and others will choose not to because its to hard on the head as they would have to fly back and finish their shift.. its like going through itt twice. A lot of us donated a days pay, myself included. One guy was torn between going, I told him last night, life is for the living, and you can meet up with him soon. Not much for details, other that another snag top. I hear his dad has been posting alot on FB? If its not him then give me more details like a Name and I'll likely give you the story.

Yes I believe it was a fellow named Ian...

Foged out the morning so just a 5 hour day so we tried to kill off a little block. I didn't get to far. We both had to spring board today. Here's a SpView attachment 525790 View attachment 525789 View attachment 525788 View attachment 525778 ruce stick and a 74" Cedar. The cedar was on the lower boundary leaning down. Managed to lay it out and springboard for the back cut. The cut the saw was in was just to hold it for the pic. Humboldt complete but haven't cut my swanson yet in the pic. First two 3. 8 metre 12 ft shingle butts will be riped in half (rippers)by the riggers. Too heavy to fly.

Jamie, might i suggest firing that big wood straight down the hill to open up :D

hey you guys wanna hurry up and finish scalping BC so our poor timber prices can come back up...

state side coast may be scalped but BC has a long way to go. you, jamie, and i will be dead before it's all gone. i'm just happy i caught the tail end of the old growth :cheers: i was cutting on the line last month, did you hear my saw? lol

Fire good! That ought to help the prices for him..lol @northmanlogging, we know the feeling. Obuma killed our gas and oil industry.You need to get an Asian connection. No one makes money logging. Who do you think we cut for? Columbia helicopters (Helifor) they fly that virtol for a year to make a million. They make 10,000,000 with their machines in Afghanistan.

Jamie, might i suggest firing that big wood straight down the hill to open up :D

Your junk goes down and your product goes side... hopefully. Got a truck load out of it, I'd call for the jack first. If i know It will be garbage and leaning down on the line I'll leave it standing waste.

state side coast may be scalped but BC has a long way to go. you, jamie, and i will be dead before it's all gone. i'm just happy i caught the tail end of the old growth lol

When you getting here? Thursday right. Your just going to have to show me. Haha
You pound 50 metre of cedar out off the block when its avoidable then you will get fired for making a mess. Don't ask me how I know that..lol NO!it hasn't happened to me.

Your junk goes down and your product goes side... hopefully. Got a truck load out of it, I'd call for the jack first. If i know It will be garbage and leaning down on the line I'll leave it standing waste.

BC is the Titanic of the land,thats crazy!"she's unsinkable" 150 yrs and we haven't begun to peel back the wrapper. It wont be all gone, its a sustainable resource. If we leave a tree inside the block then that is considered standing waste thats taking up room for the next rotation. if it doesn't make the grade then they want it on the ground.

you guys have a fire down there? i could see smoke from the hill i was working. i was watching your countries timber burn while i was cutting ours :D

so first off, thats mean

Last I heard the west side of the cascades has been put out, while the Olympics are burning and the east side is burning.

Management would change a bunch of things like fire around these parts.

so first off, thats mean

Last I heard the west side of the cascades has been put out, while the Olympics are burning and the east side is burning.

Yep it was mean. That's why the smiley. Trust me, I'd rather watch you guys cut your timber then have to watch it burn.

When you getting here? Thursday right. Your just going to have to show me. Haha
You pound 50 metre of cedar out off the block when its avoidable then you will get fired for making a mess. Don't ask me how I know that..lol NO!it hasn't happened to me.

BC is the Titanic of the land,thats crazy!"she's unsinkable" 150 yrs and we haven't begun to peel back the wrapper. It wont be all gone, its a sustainable resource. If we leave a tree inside the block then that is considered standing waste thats taking up room for the next rotation. if it doesn't make the grade then they want it on the ground.
Maybe some US people should go study under that concept.

so first off, thats mean

You ain't a sh*ttin pard, fire is the cash cow though so why would they wanna reduce the risk by thinning

Maybe some US people should go study under that concept.
I am not familiar with the practices there, We have adopted a lot of our reforestation practices from Sweden.
It has been said we were 20 years late to get on the program ourselves.
You ain't a sh*ttin pard, fire is the cash cow though so why would they wanna reduce the risk by thinning
no I was sh*ttin..kinda but controlled burns will reduce the fuels to help prevent interface disasters much like they just had in Ft Mac Alberta this past spring. I'm not following you as to what you mean by cash cow, for who?

I think he means the FS and various fire fighting contractors?

I don't agree but what ev's

The forest service is pretty much bankrupt, partly because of the cost of fighting these massive fires (thanks prevailing wage) and partly because they get sued every time they try to make some revenue by having a timber sale.

In the end the only people making any money at it are the fire fighters themselves, the fuel sales guys, contractors and maybe the local quickee marts... otherwise its just a massive drain, and a complete waste. I hear that wild fire pays pretty good, but its also a pain in the ass to get certified to work a fire, and then yer risking life and limb so the money is well earned. And I imagine that the machinery side pays good too, but you pretty much have to have modern expensive equipment and even more certs... so once again its well earned.

Manage those forests and you could have true sustainable income for those communities, rather then just a shot in the arm after a stab in the back every 5-10 years.

I am not familiar with the practices there, We have adopted a lot of our reforestation practices from Sweden.
It has been said we were 20 years late to get on the program ourselves.
no I was sh*ttin..kinda but controlled burns will reduce the fuels to help prevent interface disasters much like they just had in Ft Mac Alberta this past spring. I'm not following you as to what you mean by cash cow, for who?
It seems to me the practices in the lower 48 are to log a little as necessary to maintain supply and trade, but it also to me anyway that most would rather see it stand and rot as to utilize what's here to renew the next go round. Now thinning doesn't cure all and I understand that even though that's my comment 90% of the time. However in my hometown I grew up in almost no thinning has been done for a long long time and as a result many catestrophic fires have claimed the forests also no salvage logging was allowed. With neither of those operations taking place tells me banking on fire to pay

My comment about fire being the cash cow is there are millions of dollars set aside for fire suppression annually and very few control burns to minimize ladder fuel along with thinning in my opinion. So without timber minded folk in federal agencies anymore, I'm watching the forest I grew to know as a child up to present being burnt and left for rot along with the mills, towns, and schools that were dependant on those timber dollars. Fires have the fuel abundance to reach catastrophe size very quickly and then that's when the dollars pour into small communities because there's no more logging and those towns can double in size with a fire camp anywhere within 50 miles, that and recreation be it hunting or tourism but other than that it's the only other revenue. The county I grew up in out in eastern oregon had 6-7 mills running and plenty of wood to go through them. Now one is barely able to keep the doors open and other than the cattle industry and ranchers the only other jobs are county and state road departments, or a self employeed mechanic, or ranch hand that gets a house supplied by the ranch. Otherwise fire is the other big payout. My father in law was a wildland firefighter for over 30 years and said there would be more and more big fires every year because without other people besides forest service working in the woods there's no way to keep up with under brush and densities. Now I'm not knocking any firefighters whatsoever because you folks are a special breed in your own right for what you do and provide to everyone who is running from fire while you're running in. I'm saying that there's plenty out there for both sides of the fence to manage the woods proper and there's still gonna be fire there's no way around it. But man it sure would be nice to prevent the extra devastation and then salvage what's not nuked. Maybe that's too simple minded of me to think but it's just my 2 bits anyway, so please anyone who has more info please share because I don't get what's goin on. Well............I do to some degree..............I know there a lot of issues and groups that prevent a lot as well, but wouldn't you think tree lovin folks don't wanna see them burned either? Like Craig and Terry sang, the logger and the tree planter show up will in to fight their turn; but you don't ever see an activist or club showin up on a major burn.

I think he means the FS and various fire fighting contractors?

I don't agree but what ev's

The forest service is pretty much bankrupt, partly because of the cost of fighting these massive fires (thanks prevailing wage) and partly because they get sued every time they try to make some revenue by having a timber sale.

In the end the only people making any money at it are the fire fighters themselves, the fuel sales guys, contractors and maybe the local quickee marts... otherwise its just a massive drain, and a complete waste. I hear that wild fire pays pretty good, but its also a pain in the ass to get certified to work a fire, and then yer risking life and limb so the money is well earned. And I imagine that the machinery side pays good too, but you pretty much have to have modern expensive equipment and even more certs... so once again its well earned.

Manage those forests and you could have true sustainable income for those communities, rather then just a shot in the arm after a stab in the back every 5-10 years.
Yes sir that's what I meant but you worded it much better than my recent post lol. Yes again it's the cash cow for those already involved meaning the contractors as an entity, not the pair of fallers on a module lookin up burnt out snags. Every little town in the northwest went through this and some much much worse than others. Just tweaks me is the just of it and I ranted like a b*tch LOL!! In the end yes Northman..........you said it and again much more effectively. Safe cuttin sir

Back