Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, we tried to warn you but you made up your mind to go logging. :)
Yes you did! But I just couldn't get it out of head. I knew it had to be done. I'm like that in a lot of ways. And when I'm set, I always figure out a way. Besides it's more fun telling people I'm logger then some office jockey.

I just noticed your now fully retired. What do you do to keep busy?

That's the great thing about being retired, I can be just as busy...or not...as I choose. Having choices is like being rich. Actually, having choices is being rich. The money is just a way of keeping score.

I spent over fifty years pretty much dancing to somebody else's tune but now I decide what and where and how much of my time is spent on things that I enjoy and have an interest in. Even when I was in business for myself there were always governmental agencies and bankers and customers to answer to. I didn't have choices, I had obligations.
Those days are gone and I don't miss them at all.

The wife and I spend a lot of time on our boat. We fish. She catches all the fish, I just drown bait.
I do volunteer work with the local land trust. I gave two saw safety classes to the inmate work crews who cut firewood for the Senior Citizen Help program that donates firewood to the needy..
I spent most of the winter undergoing chemo and radiation therapy for lymphoma and I found they had a real need for volunteers at the hospital so I do that a couple of times a week.
These are all things I really enjoy and it's entirely up to me how much or how little involvement I have. Like I said...choices.

And, just to keep my hand in, we're doing a couple of small timber sales on family ground. We sold off the majority of our ground year before last after the fires but we kept enough to give us something to do. I do the easy stuff, drive around in the pickup with all the antennas on top and make sure things run smooth.

Oh...and sleeping late occasionally. That's really great.

Today I cut a 40" elm. Elm is not native here. I have never cut elm before. I found the short, wet fibers to be reminiscent of sycamore, which is also not native here. Bill's gonna be all "you just jacked that because you could" and I'm not gonna deny it for a second but I will say that the first pic was a month or so ago and the barn is down now and I really jacked it so that I wouldn't have to worry about flopping the thing into a bed of nails. That's my brother in the last pic swapping a chain. It's always good to work with him.

Attachments

• 20170409_140126.jpg
    20170409_140126.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 71
  • 20170513_131122.jpg
    20170513_131122.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 74
  • 20170513_132650.jpg
    20170513_132650.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 77
  • 20170513_134646.jpg
    20170513_134646.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 64
Usually elm has pretty long fibers. They will stayed attached to the stump all the way to the ground and will split a little on a closed face but won't chair. Sometimes older bigger trees will break off easier which is probably what you had. Yeah it looked like most of your limb weight was in the direction of the lay. Sometimes those big ugly tops can be deceiving. Best not to over think them. Usually your first thought is the best. Stinky wood huh?

Back