Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah in a situation like that it's probably a good idea for insurance reasons to make it look like you made an effort if it went wrong. I typically make sure I have super clean stumps when working in situations like that just in case there is a inquiry. I can say here is my full hinge, clean face etc. That way you are demonstrating you did the best you could. Sometimes there aren't enough hands on deck to stop traffic, help with a pull line etc. As a pro you should know when it's safe to go and you did. Tree didn't even need coaxing. I've been bombing some pretty huge trees near houses lately and either I've the skill or luck or both to make it happen. Tree service guys would never just dump them. But I can put them on the ground in a minute or two where it would take them all day. For that I charge a fraction of the price that they were qouted and I make about $300 bucks an hour by the time I'm outta there. I've never hit/wrecked anything worth more then a hundred bucks because I know my limitations. And from what I've seen of northy he does too. I've had town workers, cops, landowners, etc stop traffic when I think I needed it. Of course there's a first time for everything. I had this all types up last night and forgot to hit reply. Little late to the party now.

I was talking with the client on today, he mentioned that last year our so he had paid $1000 for one tree to be removed and one to be windsailed. Meanwhile, they got their first check from the mill yesterday, its for more then 1000... and I got rid of like 20 trees, and they have another check on the way.

Arborists have their place, and doing the single tree crap I will leave to them, but yer right many of them only have one idea on taking a tree down, and thats climb it and chunk it, wasting all the wood that could go to the mill.

A year or so ago a local mega church, had 6-7 big ceders and firs taken down, they hired an arborist/tree service, that proceeded to chunk everything and leave about 9 cord of firewood behind... would have made a dandy log load but no... instead the firewood chunks where there for at least another 6 months...

Good one, got me whistling, which no one but me appreciates.
I'm on the men's annual spring fishing trip right now. Lots of Coe, cash, Haggard, Jennings, going down with a lot of beer and whiskey. I bet I'm not too far from you. Boulder junction area.

yer askin the wrong man man... cuntree and westurn makes me want to fly and kill... mostly kill...
Let me see what I can remember-

Country DJs know that I'm an outlaw
They'd never come to see me in this dive.
Where bikers stare at cowboys who are laughing at the hippies who are praying they'll get out of here alive.
The loudmouth in the corner is gettin too mean.
Talkin bout my earrings and my hair.
I guess that he ain't read the signs that say I been to prison.
Someone oughta warn him fore I knock him off his chair.
Cuz my long hair just can't cover up my red neck.
I've won every fight I've ever fought.
I don't need some turkey telling me that I ain't country.
And I ain't worth the damned ole ticket that he bought.
But I can sing all them songs about Texas.
And I still do all the sad ones that I know.
They tell me I look like Merle Haggard
And sound a lot like David Allen coe.

I was talking with the client on today, he mentioned that last year our so he had paid $1000 for one tree to be removed and one to be windsailed. Meanwhile, they got their first check from the mill yesterday, its for more then 1000... and I got rid of like 20 trees, and they have another check on the way.

Arborists have their place, and doing the single tree crap I will leave to them, but yer right many of them only have one idea on taking a tree down, and thats climb it and chunk it, wasting all the wood that could go to the mill.

A year or so ago a local mega church, had 6-7 big ceders and firs taken down, they hired an arborist/tree service, that proceeded to chunk everything and leave about 9 cord of firewood behind... would have made a dandy log load but no... instead the firewood chunks where there for at least another 6 months...
I think arborists pay themselves way too much. I cut 20 dead ash for a guy who has his kids in my kids school. He was qouted 10k. He was told they all would have to be climbed, etc. In 3.5 hours I had them all down and cut into firewood rounds. I charged him $1000 and I felt guilty about that. The guy gives me a huge smile and handshake Everytime I see him at school functions. Last week I made 1000 bucks after logging hours just flopping trees. For the 7 trees I did at various landowners the qoutes totaled around 5k. I think it's just silly money they throw around. I don't clean up a thing on these. Just a hired saw. The qoutes were not for cleanup either. Just on the ground. The biggest removal they were going to bring a crane in over the house to bring it down. Here's what I did. Big new houses on either side of this tight lake lot. The bigger stump was around 40". Landowner chunked it up and dragged it up the hill with his skid loader. I was there about 30 minutes. Actual work time less then ten. No ropes. Just know how. I qouted him 300 he gave me $400.

IMG_20170511_164841395_HDR.jpg

Let me see what I can remember-

Country DJs know that I'm an outlaw
They'd never come to see me in this dive.
Where bikers stare at cowboys who are laughing at the hippies who are praying they'll get out of here alive.
The loudmouth in the corner is gettin too mean.
Talkin bout my earrings and my hair.
I guess that he ain't read the signs that say I been to prison.
Someone oughta warn him fore I knock him off his chair.
Cuz my long hair just can't cover up my red neck.
I've won every fight I've ever fought.
I don't need some turkey telling me that I ain't country.
And I ain't worth the damned ole ticket that he bought.
But I can sing all them songs about Texas.
And I still do all the sad ones that I know.
They tell me I look like Merle Haggard
And sound a lot like David Allen coe.
David alan coe... i thought you was talkin young cuntree..

I think arborists pay themselves way too much. I cut 20 dead ash for a guy who has his kids in my kids school. He was qouted 10k. He was told they all would have to be climbed, etc. In 3.5 hours I had them all down and cut into firewood rounds. I charged him $1000 and I felt guilty about that. The guy gives me a huge smile and handshake Everytime I see him at school functions. Last week I made 1000 bucks after logging hours just flopping trees. For the 7 trees I did at various landowners the qoutes totaled around 5k. I think it's just silly money they throw around. I don't clean up a thing on these. Just a hired saw. The qoutes were not for cleanup either. Just on the ground. The biggest removal they were going to bring a crane in over the house to bring it down. Here's what I did. Big new houses on either side of this tight lake lot. The bigger stump was around 40". Landowner chunked it up and dragged it up the hill with his skid loader. I was there about 30 minutes. Actual work time less then ten. No ropes. Just know how. I qouted him 300 he gave me $400.

View attachment 580346
To be fair tree service guys spend most of their time on cleanup, though not every ****ing tree needs climbed and chuncked.

They also have to justify all that fancy gear and equipment, meanwhile us dumb loggers just need a beat up crummy a couple saws and $30 in wedges... maybe just maybe a bottle jack.

Granted fer close work i like the security of a pull line but only when necessary

A LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND – a little Saturday levity for my logger friends.

All this talk about hazard cutting has inspired me to share in the continued absence of Jon.

Ultra hazard widow maker created after uprooting and tossing a dead snag into an adjacent dead tree while mowing the front yard.
IMG_2344.JPG

Line in tree or mechanical assist? Nah, just went with my patented thick odd but nicely tapered hinge with sloppy combo Humboldt and conventional face cut commonly referred to in scholarly papers as the PTOBNTHWSCH&C cut. Many in the business simply refer to it as a POS cut. I have yet to collect any royalties - nor do I know why it hasn't yet become an industry standard. Ahead of the times I suppose.
IMG_2347.JPG

Perfect fall with widow maker still intact.
IMG_2350.JPG

Obligatory stump shot. Used the forwarder to pull it off the stump. I tell you the PTOBNTHWSCH&C cut is one fine universal cut. Just reverse the taper if you want to unintentionally swing the opposite way. Confidentially, I'm working on version 2 for those unusual situations where swing matters - just needs a little more tuning.
IMG_2352.JPG

Forwarder with full pulp load.
IMG_2354.JPG

Got to get back at it - lost an idler and the grass is growing.

Ron

Just bored. Cut a few trash cherry trees, an unidentified dead hardwood and the dogwood this a.m. Mower is broke. A couple unique JD parts are AWOL. Only bonus is it is cooler inside. Ron

A LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND – a little Saturday levity for my logger friends.

All this talk about hazard cutting has inspired me to share in the continued absence of Jon.

Ultra hazard widow maker created after uprooting and tossing a dead snag into an adjacent dead tree while mowing the front yard.
View attachment 580529

Line in tree or mechanical assist? Nah, just went with my patented thick odd but nicely tapered hinge with sloppy combo Humboldt and conventional face cut commonly referred to in scholarly papers as the PTOBNTHWSCH&C cut. Many in the business simply refer to it as a POS cut. I have yet to collect any royalties - nor do I know why it hasn't yet become an industry standard. Ahead of the times I suppose.
View attachment 580530

Perfect fall with widow maker still intact.
View attachment 580531

Obligatory stump shot. Used the forwarder to pull it off the stump. I tell you the PTOBNTHWSCH&C cut is one fine universal cut. Just reverse the taper if you want to unintentionally swing the opposite way. Confidentially, I'm working on version 2 for those unusual situations where swing matters - just needs a little more tuning.
View attachment 580534

Forwarder with full pulp load.
View attachment 580535

Got to get back at it - lost an idler and the grass is growing.

Ron
Love it for anymore makes me real personally.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

A little of what this spring as left us in the PNW to get ripped out by a shovel before falling on a line with the jacks.
48d6244e40d753907344bdb0878c3319.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back