Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep lots of waterfowlin. Interesting history- they dammed the river coming out if it to make the first sawmill in the area in the mid 1800s. It created the largest man-made lake at the time. The feds caught wind of it some years later and made them pull the plug. Then someone tried to drain it to farm it. That didn't work.

Nothing like having to cut along a line
10dfaea0be8ff45b0ee0ef416c7c0d2a.jpg
faea952cf3185823e402ecd8273c69e9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Alright what's with the double snipe on the first stump? I've been waiting for someone else to ask. That so you can pull stems over it? Or you have to reface? Not like I've never done that!

Alright what's with the double snipe on the first stump? I've been waiting for someone else to ask. That so you can pull stems over it? Or you have to reface? Not like I've never done that!
It's sniped to help with slabbing out the next log or logs and hopefully not break one out but how often does it do either?

It's sniped to help with slabbing out the next log or logs and hopefully not break one out but how often does it do either?

Not a typical problem for me tho it does happen occasionally. How was the r&r? ******* rain never wants to stop here. I'm getting fat and lazy. Starting to get a bad habit of sleeping in. I'd say the current conditions are weeding out the weak ones. I may have to start cutting some trees in the city. I hate that.

Not a typical problem for me tho it does happen occasionally. How was the r&r? ******* rain never wants to stop here. I'm getting fat and lazy. Starting to get a bad habit of sleeping in. I'd say the current conditions are weeding out the weak ones. I may have to start cutting some trees in the city. I hate that.
R&R was good and fun but we picked the wrong week to take off we're pretty well shut down right now as well, this damn heat wave here has us on level 3 so no hand falling. No cutting in the rain why not?

R&R was good and fun but we picked the wrong week to take off we're pretty well shut down right now as well, this damn heat wave here has us on level 3 so no hand falling. No cutting in the rain why not?

Isn't that the way it goes? I cut every day, rain, shine, sleet, snow, wind. I even cut during a thunderstorm the other day until it got too hairy. When the wind starts blowing a steady 25-30 I'm usually out of there unless it's huge, heavy leaning oak then it doesn't matter. No skidding tho. If I can't skid theres no motivation to get up super early I guess. I seem to stay in better shape and get more done when I can cut/skid the same day. Instead of cut, cut, cut, cut, skid, cut, cut, cut, skid...

Isn't that the way it goes? I cut every day, rain, shine, sleet, snow, wind. I even cut during a thunderstorm the other day until it got too hairy. When the wind starts blowing a steady 25-30 I'm usually out of there unless it's huge, heavy leaning oak then it doesn't matter. No skidding tho. If I can't skid theres no motivation to get up super early I guess. I seem to stay in better shape and get more done when I can cut/skid the same day. Instead of cut, cut, cut, cut, skid, cut, cut, cut, skid...
Always it seems like. If we're clear cutting I like to try to stay at least 3 days ahead of the yarding especially when using the harvester just in case of break downs as well a deck can be built to process at the end of the day. Hand falling the bigger stuff it doesn't take long to put a load together I think our highest log load of export has been 12 or 15 at that pace you can cut and skid at the same time.

Always it seems like. If we're clear cutting I like to try to stay at least 3 days ahead of the yarding especially when using the harvester just in case of break downs as well a deck can be built to process at the end of the day. Hand falling the bigger stuff it doesn't take long to put a load together I think our highest log load of export has been 12 or 15 at that pace you can cut and skid at the same time.

The problem with cutting ahead too far in big hardwood is you bury your logs in big tops in a hurry which is a pain for forwarding. I try to cut them up some but you spend a lot of time tossing tops around just to find your logs.

The problem with cutting ahead too far in big hardwood is you bury your logs in big tops in a hurry which is a pain for forwarding. I try to cut them up some but you spend a lot of time tossing tops around just to find your logs.
Completely understand that been there done that a time or two myself.

Back