Falling Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, you weren't up Smoke Creek were you? If not, that same dude's been up there too, and left his mangled stumps as evidence. :dizzy:

Not sure where smoke creek is, we were west of town about 10 miles past Macgregor Lake, my jaw dropped when I saw that thing, obviously someone shouldn't be allowed near a saw. We found a honey pot of nice bucksin larch tho

Good on ya for being careful with those Larch, they are not one of my favorite trees to deal with. The green stuff I've been in won't even think of falling until there's about a thumbnail width of holding wood left, skybound bastards.

Nice pics - Sam

View attachment 190329

Not falling pictures but for the first time in a long time I got to haul some wood to market today. These five red and black oak logs scaled to 730 feet, 3 on the Doyle and the smaller two on the decimel C scale. The check for these should be in in the neighborhood of $500. I hauled two more before the day was out of smaller and not as nice of wood. I was only 94 degrees here today with a heat index near 100. My truck seat looks like a muddy dog wallered around in it from the dirt on my clothes and the sweat pouring out everywhere. I hate summer, btw. I'd move up north if it wasn't for all the yankees. HI is supposed to be between 110-115 tomorrow. I believe I'm going to get my running done in the morning and sit on my tail in the air conditioning after lunch if at all possible.

Good on ya for being careful with those Larch, they are not one of my favorite trees to deal with. The green stuff I've been in won't even think of falling until there's about a thumbnail width of holding wood left, skybound bastards.

Nice pics - Sam

But they grow straighter than a grizzly's ####. We call it tamarack up here, brings in good money for peelers

View attachment 190329

Not falling pictures but for the first time in a long time I got to haul some wood to market today. These five red and black oak logs scaled to 730 feet, 3 on the Doyle and the smaller two on the decimel C scale. The check for these should be in in the neighborhood of $500. I hauled two more before the day was out of smaller and not as nice of wood. I was only 94 degrees here today with a heat index near 100. My truck seat looks like a muddy dog wallered around in it from the dirt on my clothes and the sweat pouring out everywhere. I hate summer, btw. I'd move up north if it wasn't for all the yankees. HI is supposed to be between 110-115 tomorrow. I believe I'm going to get my running done in the morning and sit on my tail in the air conditioning after lunch if at all possible.

Nice, thanks for sharing.

BSJ thats what I call a " Can you tell what it is yet ? " stump as someone was wood carving not felling ! If anyone remembers Rolf Harris thats what he used say when doing a painting during his TV shows and I've always thought it was a apt when I see something like that .

But they grow straighter than a grizzly's ####. We call it tamarack up here, brings in good money for peelers

Yeah, tamarack here also. I just don't like anything that takes extra time, kind of ADD that way I suppose, lol. They are straight, but around here usually lots of ring shake/ rot. Lots of boring. About 1 out of 4 on the unit we're on are complete culls, damn near to the tassle. But they gotta hit the ground, contractually speaking. Irritating. - Sam

Nice pics Jake! Just a touch low in the back cut will give you trouble in some trees and I've never put a larch on the ground (tamarack here too), but some trees love to stay skybound that way. Any chance they hung that one on the ugly stump up? I've seen that kind of mess trying to get one off the stump before.

It's not much colder or less humid up here GR. Been 95 and 95% humidty for the last week or so. Deer flies are killer in the woods. You damn rebels sure are a tight bunch aren't you? Nice lookin sticks btw!

Not sure where smoke creek is, we were west of town about 10 miles past Macgregor Lake, my jaw dropped when I saw that thing, obviously someone shouldn't be allowed near a saw. We found a honey pot of nice bucksin larch tho

Smoke Creek is right after Loon Lake on the right. . . Drive a ways till you hit the Fisher River, and hang a left.

If you were in that neck of the woods, it's gotta be the same dude.

Nice pics Jake! Just a touch low in the back cut will give you trouble in some trees and I've never put a larch on the ground (tamarack here too), but some trees love to stay skybound that way. Any chance they hung that one on the ugly stump up? I've seen that kind of mess trying to get one off the stump before.

It's not much colder or less humid up here GR. Been 95 and 95% humidty for the last week or so. Deer flies are killer in the woods. You damn rebels sure are a tight bunch aren't you? Nice lookin sticks btw!

Thanks Man :rock:
nah it was about 30" across the stump and there wasn't anything close to it that was over 7-8 dbh and 20 feet tall

Some nice leave Larch on a beautiful Montana morning.

View attachment 190390

Cut some dead fir at the top of the strip today that would have made you drool Jake. Sound enough to make logs though. - Sam

I wanna play!! :drool:

MEEE TOOOOO :rock::rock:, the remodel we're doing at the Olney DNRC is makin me jones real bad, all kinds of cool toys (including enough brand new 460 r's just laying errently around to make a guy think dishonest thoughts) and tons of falling picks, including a poster of two guys topping a redwood with an 090 that was 7' across at 150' up. I wonder if anyone else here is familliar with it

MEEE TOOOOO :rock::rock:, the remodel we're doing at the Olney DNRC is makin me jones real bad, all kinds of cool toys (including enough brand new 460 r's just laying errently around to make a guy think dishonest thoughts) and tons of falling picks, including a poster of two guys topping a redwood with an 090 that was 7' across at 150' up. I wonder if anyone else here is familliar with it

That's Jerry Beranek. I've got that poster in my living room. He's got a great book "High Climbers and Timber Fallers" that Bailey's sells. Poster is from that book. It's kind of a must have sort of book. - Sam

Back