Falling saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Copy that, stihl must have rounded up all the lemons and sent them to nz. Your a funny Geezza, if you were not on the other side of world I would like to have a face to face with you. As for my experience I'm slowly learning thanks to you, bitzer and others.

As for filters all they need is blown off every couple of days, not like they need replaced daily or ever
Maybe the newer models are better, but the older ones i'd bang them out on a tree halfway through my day of cutting. That's part of why a lot of guys went to aftermarket air systems other then to get more air.

to each their own..in coastal
camps it’s usually 50/50 stihl and husky..i run huskies mainly simonized 372s and the odd time the 390 comes out if i’m in bigger white wood..if i can get 150-200 days out of a saw then i’m happy..the only thing i think stihl has on huskies is the master control switch..pretty sweet having it all in one spot.

to each their own..in coastal
camps it’s usually 50/50 stihl and husky..i run huskies mainly simonized 372s and the odd time the 390 comes out if i’m in bigger white wood..if i can get 150-200 days out of a saw then i’m happy..the only thing i think stihl has on huskies is the master control switch..pretty sweet having it all in one spot.
Less then a year on a saw!

Either i don't cut enough or i need to Run em harder 5 years and counting on my main saw, far as i know the one it replaced is still cuttin wood as well

Less then a year on a saw!

Either i don't cut enough or i need to Run em harder 5 years and counting on my main saw, far as i know the one it replaced is still cuttin wood as well
They get banged up running them in **** ground and gout all day. Once a saw is getting tired I set it aside and use it on wildfires.

Once a saw is getting tired I set it aside and use it on wildfires.

You're telling me that you prefer to run tired saws on fires? That doesn't jibe at all with my experience. I want my saw to run strong and dependable always, but more so than usual on a fire, because like death and all. I would not deliberately set myself up for failure that way. YMMV

You're telling me that you prefer to run tired saws on fires? That doesn't jibe at all with my experience. I want my saw to run strong and dependable always, but more so than usual on a fire, because like death and all. I would not deliberately set myself up for failure that way. YMMV

+1. Newer saws are my go to when I’m deployed. Snags & burning stuff don’t joke around. I prefer to get in and get out, and if not for that reason, I would be mortified if my saw had a catastrophic failure while I was working a line.

as for as saws go, Im real nervous about this new 462, they say its going to replace the 461, but has less cubes, and less HP...

And right now I cant afford to replace any saws

I still have a low hour 461, but its been beat pretty hard already (I run it every now and then to keep the rust at bay, and it seems to catch all of the weird accidents)

as for as saws go, Im real nervous about this new 462, they say its going to replace the 461, but has less cubes, and less HP...

And right now I cant afford to replace any saws

I still have a low hour 461, but its been beat pretty hard already (I run it every now and then to keep the rust at bay, and it seems to catch all of the weird accidents)

I hope Stihl keeps the 461 around as long as it meets emissions regs. The fact the 462 is taking the 46(x) range worries me that probably won’t happen, but the 461 is one of the best saws on the market right now. I could do with the 441 being phased out, but Stihl didn’t call this new saw a 442.

I’m really not hot on the short stroke, plastic clutch cover, nor am I excited about having to use a wrench to get to my air filter. From what I’m hearing the new saw does not like a bar longer than a 28 in soft wood. That won’t cut it. I love Husqvarna saws, and I may find a better dealer for my Louisville crew if the 461 goes away and the 462 runs the way I’m hearing it is, especially when what I gather about the 572 being a really killer saw.

Jack/Dangercat put out a vid yesterday where he cut a redwood running a 462 mtronic, it seemed to do pretty well running a 30" bar. I'm sure they'll offer a big clutch cover like they do with the 362 eventually. This is probably gonna be OK.

My felling saws are always the newest and biggest saws I own. Ive used 576xps for years but for the last year or so Ive switched that out to 390xps. Prior to the 576 and 575, the 372xp was given the tasks at hand.

Jack/Dangercat put out a vid yesterday where he cut a redwood running a 462 mtronic, it seemed to do pretty well running a 30" bar. I'm sure they'll offer a big clutch cover like they do with the 362 eventually. This is probably gonna be OK.

That 462 danger cat is running has been worked over a lot, der was also a hopped up 461 video that would walk all over it.

The 462 has chain speed, something stihl critics have bitched about for years, but what it don't have is grunt, couple that with no option for a full/3/4 wrap bar and a ****** small clutch cover

POS is getting runned over

No wrap? That's messed up. They best get that sorted out.

In a 462 video Jack put up, he ended up modifying a 441 wrap to fit. Maybe a good skip chain may help with the problem in softwood, but here on the east coast it would still be an issue with some of the trees we have. My crew saws generally stay stock. They also get a 28 lightweight, and RSF.

Like I said, we will see. But I do not have high hopes. Of course, now I’ll eat crow and go “holy schnikes this saw is awesome!” When I actually go to run it.

I'm sure stihl will have a wrap version of the 462. When they will release the 462 in the US, I have no idea. Hopefully by the year 2020...

I'm holding off on upgrading 70/75cc saws at work a couple of years I think because I don't want to get stuck with obsolete equipment I can't support as long, but I also don't want to buy first-gen stuff before the bugs are worked out. Guess the old 044's, 440's, and 460's live a bit longer. No prob, they're good machines.

Back