Falling trees with an Excavator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I got this big well medium Orange, diesel wedge...

And its pretty skookum and all, but I hear that a guy can dig a little and then shove a tree over with one...

Now I've tried this out a few times and as most of you know or should know I'm fairly new to the stick jockey side of logging, All I really know is hand falling and line skidding... Anyway, so I've had mixed results with shovin trees over, some go sideways, some go mostly where I'd like them, some seem to take a boat load more effort then I'd like them too.... Sideways is bad by the way...

Anyway any one got some tricks pics vids etc

And its pretty skookum and all, but I hear that a guy can dig a little and then shove a tree over with one...

Now I've tried this out a few times and as most of you know or should know I'm fairly new to the stick jockey side of logging, All I really know is hand falling and line skidding... Anyway, so I've had mixed results with shovin trees over, some go sideways, some go mostly where I'd like them, some seem to take a boat load more effort then I'd like them too.... Sideways is bad by the way...

We've always put an excavator or shovel on the back side and then cut them never dug them up, the one guy I did know that did that went over with one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I do pretty good with a 10ish ton machine around here, but I had a gum that went about 20 degrees to the left of where I wanted it to in late Feb- early March.

The "tap root" wasn't compromised completely, even though I'd dug all the way around it like I have so Many times.

There are so many variables:
Soil Condition
Lean of the tree
Terrain
Access of machine to the back side
Condition of the tree
Wind

I've come to the conclusion if it's questionable, & I'm by myself where I can't put a pull line in it & secure the tree to ensure it won't go a different way, I'm going to fell it traditionally, & spend the 7 extra minutes digging the stump up.

This method is cheaper than filing an insurance claim.

I'll bet your trees are much larger than anything I've pushed over but a couple of things to remember;
  • don't go too close to the tree and then extend all the way up/out. The machine can tip back.
  • don't pull the tree toward you. it will fall either on the cab or the other side of the boom making for a huge repair.
  • watch out for barber chairs
  • keep in mind the weight and impact the machine can have when the bucket makes contact with the tree trunk. Too hard of a contact could snap off the upper parts of the tree sending them crashing down onto the cab. Place the bucket easily and the push, don't slam.
  • try to use the teeth for grip into the tree bark. The backside of the bucket could slip aside of the tree.
Good luck!:cheers:

I'm running a 12 ton hitachi ex120
Matt I can't remember but do you have any guarding on that machine ? Only reason I ask is we've had a cab get smashed pretty good by a widow Maker coming out of a tree we were pushing luckily no one was hurt, if you don't that machine shouldn't be out there.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

How is the pushing power on your machine ? ,i know on my backhoe ,it is stronger pulling than pushing so it does not push them over so easy so i end up just digging around them till i sever the roots and pull the stumps .I end up with some big holes on fir trees or maples ,cedars are not too bad .

How is the pushing power on your machine ? ,i know on my backhoe ,it is stronger pulling than pushing so it does not push them over so easy so i end up just digging around them till i sever the roots and pull the stumps .I end up with some big holes on fir trees or maples ,cedars are not too bad .

She pushes pretty good.

I am well aware of the guarding issues fer now its an acceptable risk and some thing to be careful of.

My main concerns are technique and what not this is a different ball game then straight fallin timber and im a little out of my wheel house

Mostly dealing with cotton weeds thatcare stupid tall and back leanin a touch.

This something i feel im going to be doing more of in the near future so a solid understanding would be a good start

She pushes pretty good.

I am well aware of the guarding issues fer now its an acceptable risk and some thing to be careful of.

My main concerns are technique and what not this is a different ball game then straight fallin timber and im a little out of my wheel house

Mostly dealing with cotton weeds thatcare stupid tall and back leanin a touch.

This something i feel im going to be doing more of in the near future so a solid understanding would be a good start
Can you use the roots like a hinge ? dig the sides and right in front of you like a U pattern then push ?

Can you use the roots like a hinge ? dig the sides and right in front of you like a U pattern then push ?

Sometimes: it's tricky though, because if you do that, & don't get enough, & then have to go around to the front side & dig more, you risk it going backwards.

So Many Variables.

If you've got someone with you on another machine, or capable of anchoring it, then you can do more with it like that: especially on a back or Side leaner.

Sometimes: it's tricky though, because if you do that, & don't get enough, & then have to go around to the front side & dig more, you risk it going backwards.

So Many Variables.

If you've got someone with you on another machine, or capable of anchoring it, then you can do more with it like that: especially on a back or Side leaner.
That's why i dig stumps after the tree is off them ,my junk wont push em over unless they are small .Yes a root still buried can make it turn right now .

Don't dig the sides. Picture yourself cutting the tree. Dig the roots in front like a notch, dig the roots in back to form the back cut. Then push. The sides are your hinge. This technique is a poor cousin to a man on the ground with a saw who knows how to use it and a man in a machine that's as good as the faller.

Its these buried roots that are getting me...

So dig the fall side, and left and right then give er a push?

What I've been doing is Either digging front and back, (which works pretty ok) Or digging sides only (which don't work at all) I've tried digging shove side and left and right, without what I would call success...

Don't dig the sides. Picture yourself cutting the tree. Dig the roots in front like a notch, dig the roots in back to form the back cut. Then push. The sides are your hinge. This technique is a poor cousin to a man on the ground with a saw who knows how to use it and a man in a machine that's as good as the faller.

Agreed.

Its these buried roots that are getting me...

So dig the fall side, and left and right then give er a push?

What I've been doing is Either digging front and back, (which works pretty ok) Or digging sides only (which don't work at all) I've tried digging shove side and left and right, without what I would call success...

Pretty OK is about the best you'll do.

Latest posts

Back