Falling wedges. What's good, what's not, and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beaver State Plastics

Talked to the owner of Beaver State Plastics. We talked for quite a spell. She is quite well versed in the timber industries. They do not sell seconds or defect wedges,only the best wedges. We talked about a wedge design I have been toying with for pecker pole trees. Their operation is quite wide and diverse. They sell wedges to one of the site sponsors:msp_thumbup: Now I am going to have a new reason to lose a few of my older wedges :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Started a new unit. Lodgepole only, all the nice big ones are marked to leave. Awesome. Wait till the first wind....

Anyhow, got tired of packing around this ####.

View attachment 196846

Well, #### that. Stopped in the shop this morning and picked up a mag-wedge/ molly. Wrapped the handle with knee wrap stuff. Also got a fancy wedge pouch. My pockets are so wallowed out that I lose wedges as fast as I can buy them.

If nothing else this'll force me to use a little more finesse with my wedges....Nothing sillier looking than a guy beating his brains out. The axe will ride in the pack...just in case.

Anyhow, this should make for a good LP rig - Hope you all are enjoying your weekend - Sam

View attachment 196847
View attachment 196848
View attachment 196849

My Lodgepole rig used to be another hole for my belt. A forest company UPM imported and planted LP in Finland in the 80's. The tree grows quite well, but it doesn't take the local climate too well. It doesn't drop the limbs, the result is there is a lot of snow downs in the stands over 10'' DBH. It makes some nightmarish messes the harvesters can not handle. Every time we found out there will be a LP stand ahead, we knew the (busheling) paycheck will not pay butter on bred.

That's one of the reasons I'm glad I don't work for UPM anymore.

Last edited:
My first timber falling experience was falling lodgepole in Northern CO three years ago.

The first tree I faced up, backed up with a 5" wedge, 3rd swing of the axe and the butt of the wedge snaps clean off. Had to wait for the skidder driver to come give me a push :laugh:

I was on that job for about a week before I saw what little money I was bringing home and what bills weren't gonna get paid.

Tall and skinny and whippy. But it sure smelled good working there, brought the smell home on my clothes.
A few of the bank ladies liked it too ;)

Not sure where else to post this... so here it is... I bought a nice Swiss military surplus axe yesterday at a great surplus store a fair ways north of me... note the short handle... it makes it easier to carry in a backpack, and even though it's short, it's heavy. I imagine it'd be a good choice for those that like to use an axe to beat on wedges, rather than a little hammer, but don't want to deal with a full length handle axe, and want similar wedge smacking capabilities... this axe may be what you want to look for. It's the real Swiss deal.

attachment.php

Yes, it's pretty sharp. I'm still going to work over that edge a little to get it real sharp...

So... what do ya'll think? :popcorn:

Decent looking grain in the handle - better than the run-of-the-mill stuff now.
Looks like the heel has been radiused, but can't tell how much.
Any maker mark on the head ?

Decent looking grain in the handle - better than the run-of-the-mill stuff now.
Looks like the heel has been radiused, but can't tell how much.
Any maker mark on the head ?

No maker mark, I may have missed it though. I'll check again to be sure.

I'm thinking it's probably made by Victorinix, which you all probably know is the company that is very well known for the famous and very handy dandy Swiss Army Knife...

It may be that they only used the Swiss cross rather than the Swiss cross in the shield as Victorinix uses... maybe to conceal identity or more likely that since stuff is usually contracted, none that do make these axes put their name on them, in agreement with the Swiss military, and only stamp the Swiss country cross in.

All I know is it's a dang good deal on an axe of this quality. Not to mention you'll have a hell of a time finding one that's anywhere near as well made in Lowe's or at the hardware store...

Surplus stores are fun to go to... :D I also bought an IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit) and a VFAK (Vehicle First Aid Kit)

Also a couple of the large A.L.I.C.E. packs, and some of the clips that hold pouches on as well...

Also, this guy sold a deuce and a half, with a trailer and generator to one guy...

I might be the next guy to make the store owner happy by buying a deuce and a half, a trailer, and two generators... truck is about 5500 (these are completely refurbished, painted, new fluids, tires, etc.) trailer is 1000 IIRC, and a generator is probably about 2000 or so.

So... a deuce and a half... hell, I'd drive it to Meijers to pick up groceries, and also park it on top of a Pruis!!! :blob2:

Looks like a decent little axe. Go abuse it and let us know how it works. I'll try to remember to report back on the Molly after work tomorrow.

Picked up a couple of new axes this last week, the light Husky one for light work ! the Stihl is a good size and weight for the bigger stuff.

Wedges

You guys are a trip. I've sifted through this thread and found some good info and enjoyed the stories from the old timers.

I like the Double Taper "extra lift" wedges in 7 1/4 and 10", these two in particular are fat at the tip so they fill the kerf and stay put even when barely sticking into the tree. But if you wait too late and let one sit back on you before setting a wedge, you'll never get them in. I've also carried a couple of the rifled stacking Black Bear wedges, don't use them all that often but I've been glad to have them when I wanted them. A couple of baby green wedges and that's all. I've never really used the 12" grampy wedges, probably should try them out but with the mostly pecker poles I've been cutting lately I'd rarely have a chance to pound one all the way in.

Tom

Latest posts

Back