Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Fatal Disease or minor?

Discussion in 'Plant Health' started by matthufham, Sep 12, 2017.

1. matthufham

matthufham New Member

Not sure what species this is or what's wrong with it. House was built on this land a few years ago. The tree is breaking off branches and has this formation starting at the base. I'm in Joplin, Missouri. Thanks [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2. Jason Douglas

Jason Douglas ArboristSite Operative

Guessing from a photo is difficult at best and those fruiting bodies are past their prime but it looks like it could be Inonotus dryadeous, weeping polypore.

Causes a white rot type decay where cellulose and eventually lignin are broken down.

3. matthufham

matthufham New Member

I think you hit the nail on the head after seeing similar pics. I think it's a bad sign, but being far away from the house I'll just wait it out since it's plenty green for now. Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

4. Jason Douglas

Jason Douglas ArboristSite Operative

Yes, if there is no target there is less risk.

If you have further concerns, have an arborist NOT focused on tree removals have a look at it for you.