Federal Airtight 264CCL Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,i stumbled on your sight today while looking for a manual for my newly aquired FA 264 ccl(R).... sight looks great and full of info, and I look foreward to learning a great deal as a first time woodstove user.

I am TOTALLY green and bare with me if my questions seem elementary but like i said this is my first woodstove and i have no manual so here goes,,,

Ill post some pics to help explain.

ANy idea where this goes?
2q2iqno.jpg

Is this as it should be? shouldnt there be a thermometer there? i saw some on ebay do they just slip into the hole?
rrmnu0.jpg

The next 2 pics kinda go together... Am i missing some sort of grate? i only have the 1 piece thats kind of a triangle type shape that just seems to sit on top of the 1 fixed and 2 rotating things on the bottom?
34o67x1.jpg

2dtcby0.jpg

Lastly..... (I promise atleast for now any input on how this looks)
2814sco.jpg

Sorry to hit all at once but im super exited about this and getting it right is my top priority.... ANy help GREATLY appreciated.

Chris

The blower wheel should be completely covered. The square plate hole is for cat thermometer and the catalytic cumbustor which resides under it. The grates (on floor in 4th pic) are for coal burning only. The piece with the brass nameplate on it is called a hearth plate and is mounted under the front doors. It appears your stove was used as an insert and you can probably add legs to it which are still available along with a heat shield which is mounted under the stove body and provides about 1.5" of airspace to keep the floor cool.. From what I could see your stove looks to be in pretty decent shape.. FYI you can clean the cat with a soft brush and vacuum cleaner..

Good Luck!

Ray

First of all welcome cralph and congratulations on taking your first steps toward wood burning.

Here is a link to a website that breaks down all of the stove pieces. It is technically for my stove 224, but should be the same for yours. If you want just search that site for the 264 and you'll get the breakdown of yours.

http://www.cozycabinstoveandfireplaceparts.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=224CCL

Pic 1:
That is a shelf that is screwed in just under the doors.

Pic 2:
Yes, that is where the cat thermo. goes. You can pick one up from Condar for $20.

http://www.condar.com/

Pic 3&4:
In pic 3 the grate that is laying down in the bottom does not go there. It actually stands up right just behind the doors. It is part of the coal hopper design for these stoves (they were built to burn coal as well as wood). There should be two smaller solid cast pieces that form the sides. You don't use this in the bottom. The wood sits right on center fixed grate and the two shaker grates.

Pic 5:
That cat looks like it is in good shape. Lucky you. If you find it is not working good or you ruin with your first year of burning like I did :cry: I've found that Condar has the best prices $129.

http://www.woodstovecombustors.com/dutchwest_new.html

Overall the stove looks like it is in great shape. You didn't give much history on it and how you aquired it, but I would check all the gaskets (probably just go ahead and replace them). I just tried to load a manual for you, but I think the file size was too big. PM me and I'll get it to you. It is for pre - 90 models and your's looks to fall into that category.

It's funny. I was just thinking the other day when someone would start one of these Federal Airtight threads up because they just got one to start burning with. Some people will say they are crap, but a few of us like them. The air controls take some practice, but it's not rocket surgery. Just pay attention to what you are doing and how the stove reacts and it will burn great. Definitely get another blower for it. Makes a huge difference.

Best of luck and ask questions.

Last edited:
Hey Ray, thanks for the quick reply! Good copy on all Accts. The blower is just kinda in the background of that pic, I took it off to clean it up a little, and kinda see how it worked. Only question on your reply I have is when you said that grate was for coal only am I to understand that the logs simply siron top of the 2 rocker grates and the fixed grate that's in between them ? There's no kind of grate (like one in a fireplace) to hold the logs in place?

Also I actually have the bottom plate as well as 2 sets if legs that came with it, any advantage one way or another to the 6" vs. The little 2" legs ?

Thanks so much again!

Chris

I have the smaller legs on mine, if I used the larger it wouldn't fit in my fireplace opening. Depending on how you use the stove (freestanding, partial insert, full insert) it's up to you.

Wood sits right on top of the fixed and rocker grates.

BTW what part of VA are you in?

I have the smaller legs on mine, if I used the larger it wouldn't fit in my fireplace opening. Depending on how you use the stove (freestanding, partial insert, full insert) it's up to you.

Wood sits right on top of the fixed and rocker grates.

BTW what part of VA are you in?

I was just getting ready to say man.... We are neighbors. I'm in Chesterfield, kinda Brandermillish right off of 288.

The history on the stove is it was in a log cabin up on the Shenendoa river owned by a hunting buddies dad. When he sold out and moved to Fla. It sat in my Buddha garage for a few years until I decided to start burning wood (or try to anyway) so I traded him a dozen of my handpainted Herters foam bluebill duck decoys.... Long story shirt.... I picked it up for a song.

Hey Ray, thanks for the quick reply! Good copy on all Accts. The blower is just kinda in the background of that pic, I took it off to clean it up a little, and kinda see how it worked. Only question on your reply I have is when you said that grate was for coal only am I to understand that the logs simply siron top of the 2 rocker grates and the fixed grate that's in between them ? There's no kind of grate (like one in a fireplace) to hold the logs in place?

Also I actually have the bottom plate as well as 2 sets if legs that came with it, any advantage one way or another to the 6" vs. The little 2" legs ?

Thanks so much again!

Chris

Hi Chris,
Yes you're right you simply lay the wood on the 2 rocker grates and fixed center grate.. As for the legs it depends on your situation which legs you use.. The 6" legs are standard and it is what I use.. Be sure to check out the forums at www.********** too.. I never use the front doors on my stove just the side door. This will save lots of mess plus you can load longer logs from the side..

Ray

I've been busy getting my wood supply together. By my last calcs I have around 7 cords split and stacked. Around 2.5 to 3 will be good to go by late October which is when I'll probably start burning. The rest will be for next year. I vowed that after last season scrounging and cutting wood in the snow, and burning unseasoned wood (yes I'm a cat killer) that it would not happen again. Feels good to see all that wood baking in the sun.

I was just getting ready to say man.... We are neighbors. I'm in Chesterfield, kinda Brandermillish right off of 288.

The history on the stove is it was in a log cabin up on the Shenendoa river owned by a hunting buddies dad. When he sold out and moved to Fla. It sat in my Buddha garage for a few years until I decided to start burning wood (or try to anyway) so I traded him a dozen of my handpainted Herters foam bluebill duck decoys.... Long story shirt.... I picked it up for a song.

Holy cow...I'm in Chesterfield down off of Courthouse and 288. Small freaking world. Let me know if you need a hand with anything and I'll be glad to help.

I've been busy getting my wood supply together. By my last calcs I have around 7 cords split and stacked. Around 2.5 to 3 will be good to go by late October which is when I'll probably start burning. The rest will be for next year. I vowed that after last season scrounging and cutting wood in the snow, and burning unseasoned wood (yes I'm a cat killer) that it would not happen again. Feels good to see all that wood baking in the sun.

Sounds like you and I have about the same amount of wood.. We'll be in good shape this fall :) Burning wet wood is a nightmare in any stove plus bad for the chimney and environment...

Holy cow...I'm in Chesterfield down off of Courthouse and 288. Small freaking world. Let me know if you need a hand with anything and I'll be glad to help.

Haha..... Me too! I always say Brandermillish cause it seems like that's anybody recognizes but off 288/courthouse/ newbys bridge.... Wifes a teacher at Guardian Christian Academy, kids go to OB Gates...... To cool man..... Small world!

10-4. I couldn't believe Condar replaced my cat free of charge. It was definitely my fault. I haven't cleaned the chimney yet. I have a tee connecting my stove to the liner and it has a clean out at the bottom. I pulled it off about a month ago and there was around 1 cup of creosote in it. Hopefully thats a good sign that the chimney is not too gummed up.

Haha..... Me too! I always say Brandermillish cause it seems like that's anybody recognizes but off 288/courthouse/ newbys bridge.... Wifes a teacher at Guardian Christian Academy, kids go to OB Gates...... To cool man..... Small world!

Please don't tell me you live in Newby's Wood. That would be freaky and cool all at the same time. I live off Newby's and Burnett. My wifes a teacher at Gordon Elementary School.

Be Prepared

Brandon, nice to see you are once again obeying the Boy Scout motto--Be Prepared. Seven dry cords should do it for you. Recall that last year, winter came in early and lasted forever. Some say the wet and cold we had last year is ready for a second round.

I found that the 2-stage cat combustor alternative we designed was too much of a choke, except for really high draft conditions. The single-stage plate I posted here works the best and is the easiest to clean. I hit 1400 F on the temp gauge several times with it last January and February, but generally I try to hold it below 1200 F.

Best news is that the chimney sweep told me that I reduced my ash and creosote build up by 50% compared to 2008-2009, even though I burned two more cords of wood. He likes the hot plate design and the new flue collar I installed. Proof is in the pudding.

This year I have more walnut, mulberry, and ash to burn but less oak. I gathered plenty of elm also because I love a mixture. Stumbled onto some red elm, which is getting rare indeed. Now, if it will just cool down a little and stop raining...

Yes

Yes, I have a manual for that stove. Am going to cabin this week and will bring it back if you need some info from it.

Well hello lads,
I may be the first girl joining the stove chat but I have to say I have just spent most of today reading all of this thread {including printing off the 24 page PDF} and thanks to all of you wonderful people we now have a working stove ! wooo-hoooo !

I also was happy to see {since so many people seem to have found they are neighbors, sorta} that Ray, you and I are neighbors too, since you are in Carver and I'm in Plymouth. Hi there neighbor :D

Here is the story.
Anyway we bought our house in 2006 and one of my criteria was a real fireplace. I got three ! Two are the regular sort and then there was a stove in the kitchen chimney place. It's a 264, from 1983 {having read here all day I know I don't need to elaborate!} When we purchased the house it had not been used for several years. We had a lot of water drop-down and the pipes were totally rusted. The stove itself hadn't even been cleaned out, it was in poor shape - at least cosmetically. We had other things that needed to be done in the house though so for the past four years, it had just sat there. This winter I was determined to get it going.

I started a clean-out this morning and then my husband and father {with me doing the research and they doing the grunt work} removed the pipes from the chimney, and took all removable parts off, cleaned out the whole thing, went and got new pipes and cement and rope and whatnot and after a whole day of back and forth and hard slog, we lit a fire. Damn does it give off heat ! I'm thrilled. We had a lot of smoke at first but then it mostly abated {we were expecting it since the whole thing had not be used in so long, took a while to get the draft going and it's a really rainy night here}. Then as she warmed up it got very smokey again and we were trying to figure out what was going on and we think the previous owners may have painted the exterior with something other than stove paint {or actually we think maybe put oil on it to make it shiny} and it was burning off {we were getting smoke all over and even on the right, the sealed side with no openings and you could see the oily-looking stuff on the side - PITA!} So we didn't really keep it going, I'm planning to try to scrub down the outside tomorrow before we light it again.

I just wanted to say HELLO and THANK YOU SO MUCH because now I have a stove to warm up my kitchen {and house by the looks of things!} this winter.

I also have one question. In the firebox we have two grates, they are cylindrical with grate openings and can be manipulated back and forth {to shake down ashes} from the outside left. My question is, should there be three of these ? We have a gap in the center so we think that maybe there should be another. Really the fire will be collapsing into the ash box.

I'm sorry this was so long-winded. I'm from Ireland actually so I guess I have an in-built gift of the gab! ;o)

Thanks for bearing with me and thanks again for all the insight, it was invaluable. I'll be posting more as we go I'm sure. I am excited to see how well this stove will perform. I was very impressed with it on the first try.

Goodnight all !
Caroline

Hi Croi. Congrats and glad you've found our post and rants helpful.

I doubt the stove has had oil on put on it, probably a stove polish. I would just leave it there, continue to burn and the smoke and smell should go away soon. It it is bothering you guys and causing headaches etc., just open some windows and vent. JMO.

As far as the grates go, it sounds like you are missing the center fixed grate.

http://www.blackswanhome.com/product/fixed-grate-consolidated-dutchwest1

Above is a link to the grate that will probably work for your stove. To be honest you might be in my same situation with parts. If your stove is truly from 83 (should not have a third air control for the cat. combustor), I'm finding that the parts available are more from the late 80 early 90 models. And there are slight differences. I'm having to get a friend to add extensions to a fixed grate for my stove as I type. Anyway keep us posted.

Caroline, another alternative for that missing center section is to buy a 1/4" or 5/16" thick steel plate from a welding shop that reaches all the way across and bolt it at the ends with 1/4" machine screws. Make it wide enough to leave just a little gap so that the shaker grates on each side can rotate to drop the ashes.

That center section really gets hot and eventually it can burn out. Your stove at one time may have been used quite a bit. My 288 is 23 years old, has burned well over 100 cords of wood, and the grate is till intact. However, it may not be long for this world, so I am prepared.

In addition, I already replaced the plate on the inside back of the stove by bolting in a 12" wide steel plate that runs the full length, and that works like a charm. The original burned out five years ago.

Last edited:
Back