Felling wedges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any hard wood that is a bear to split will work fine. I rive out a board, plane it then saw it corner to corner to make two wedges. Leave the sawn sides rough to give them a bit of stick togetherness when stacked. The thick end could be tightly wrapped with stainless wire for an inch or so to reduce splitting. I have seen some done that way but have never done it myself.

Any hard wood that is a bear to split will work fine. I rive out a board, plane it then saw it corner to corner to make two wedges. Leave the sawn sides rough to give them a bit of stick togetherness when stacked. The thick end could be tightly wrapped with stainless wire for an inch or so to reduce splitting. I have seen some done that way but have never done it myself.
Sounds like a good way I wonder if forks of let's say dead ash trees would work very well harder than crap to split and easy to come by soo....

Garrett Girvin

Sooo... You're falling trees and looking to save a couple bucks on wedges? Hope you're not going cheap on ppe too.
No no your getting the wrong idea all my fault through wording these are for bucking logs mainly I use stihl wedges for felling.

Garrett Girvin

There's several other bargain brands like woodland pro. I just like the shipping charges from madsens over bailey's

Back