Felling wedges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even the pros goof up:

a6d80227e764b84393e18bdd428c16a6.jpg

You sure that ain't Zitterkopf's? :p

Yes. You have to assess every scenario. A big danger is a tall tree toppling back on the machine when the center of gravity is above the machine contact. Where the center of gravity is below the machine contact using the reverse method will likely send the cut end into the machine as you noted. This could also happen in the first scenario. And when using conventional cuts. Either lip is just a precautionary measure - it is not a guarantee. So again, you must assess your risks.

Of course pushing dead trees is particularly dangerous as the top can break off and hit the operator. A few years back down in Ocala, my brother warned a dozer operator of this danger. He ignored the warning, the top broke out of the tall pine he was pushing and it landed squarely between the operator's legs. He was shaken but not hurt. It could have just as easily killed him.

Ron

Had a snagged top aspen do that to me, but didn't come all the way back over. Certainly got my attention!
I was using my loader to shove it down through the canopy and it broke midway up causing the top to end up being over-center going the opposite direction back at me.

I use my winch instead now. I learned my lesson.

Instead of worrying how to get cables into the top of the tree, get some throwline, throwbag, and some 5/8 rigging line. Throw into the tree. As long as you are over some branches you're good. Pull you're rigging line through and tie the tail end to the base of the tree (above where you're going to cut it). The attach your cable to the rope.
As someone mentioned before, go up the hill, go through a block and back down to the machine. Have the machine pull it over rather than push.

Just today took down a 26'' Oak that was tangled in another. It took about 30 tries with my sling shot to get it just right. It took several attempts to clear the brush away so that a really good access could be had. It occurred to me that maybe just cut the thing and take my chances. The owner of the ranch was putting a nice fence up and really did not want take it down. With two come a longs and two lines it made a difficult removal possible. Thanks

Back