Ficus root management

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peym

Reaction score
Hello, is it possible to manage root growth by keeping ficus tree short? Currently several ficus next to each other at around 25 feet tall have become a problem as roots are going into sewer and pool approximately 40 ft away each. If trees are trimmed to a hedge, will that stop the roots from growing? Don't want to remove completely because trees were planted on sloop and don't want to disturb soil (to avoid erosion). Thanks for your response.

From my experience if you are having root problems you will end up disturbing soil in one way or another. A root barrier can be installed around the pool but that requires at least a trencher. The same can be done for the sewer but I'm guessing that you don't know exactly where it is so that may be a bit difficult to do without digging along the line with an excavator. If it's not buried too deep a ground probe can be used to poke down and find the top of the pipe. Then just follow along the side of that about 4 feet away to install your root barrier. Short of cutting the roots and installing a barrier, you are limited to chemical treatment which I am not qualified to advise on.

It would definitely be a lot of root barrier to do that. If going that route i would use a pneumatic excavator (airspade or airknife)

Ficus trees and all of its family are notorious for aggressive roots. If a root barrier is used be sure to have it up an inch or more above grade or they'll jump'em with ease. I like the ones with growth inhibitors built in.
Not the best tree around sewers or foundations, sidewalks etc.
Deep watering if irrigation is used cant hurt. The city (L.A.) has removed a lot of ficuses at great cost, after trying root pruning and barriers with no long term effect on reducing harm to streets and sidewalks.

Latest posts

Back