Filtering the water out of gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckMKII

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
For the past few years I've been using a water separating funnel filter when I fill my gas jugs at the station. I always get a few drops of water and a tiny amount of trash that the filter catches in it's sump. It isn't much but I don't want any of this getting in any of my OPE fuel tanks.

This is what it looked like after I pumped 5 gallons of gas.

What little bit of dirty gas/trash/water that's left in the funnels sump gets dumped in a sand filled coffee can I carry in my truck.

Hope this helps.

In order for the funnel to work as intended, the membrane must be partially submerged in water before you pass your fuel through the funnel.

There are some really nifty instructions right on the side of the funnel.

The funnel is a Mr Funnel and you are right it doesn't have to be wet to work.
Hmmm, I never saw anything about getting a filter element wet with water before running fuel through it. You talking about a "Mr Funnel"?

Never heard of that. We had an excavator that had a ton of moisture in the hydraulic oil (coffee milkshake). Wonder if that funnel would have worked instead of spending several grand on aw32 oil to flush it out?

Nope. Won't work. I tried. I even tried boiling the water out with limited success. Hell, letting buckets of it sit for a year still didn't let all the water settle out. Hydraulic oil doesn't like to let go of water.

Thanks for the info, was hoping I has found a cheap way. Hydro oil as I'm sure you know is quite spendy.

Personally I would go to the store clerk and demand the equivalent amount of gas! You paid for it so it should be yours! And I would definately NOT see it as my problem getting rid of the stuff. Where I am from each gas station has special absorbitive "sand" incase a mishap happens. That is where I would dump it into.

Personally I would... demand the equivalent amount of gas!
Seriously?? You would do that for less than a teaspoon of gas?? Heck man, the pump errors by more than that‼

Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to keep gasoline 100% free of water... condensation in storage tanks of all sizes, including the delivery truck, your car and OPE, virtually guaranties there will be a little water at times. The good news is that gasoline will hold a small amount of water in solution where it does no damage and passes through your fuel system without issue... the problems begin when the amount of water is greater than that.

Compared to years past, (most) gasoline now-a-days is amazingly dirt and water free... remember glass sediment bowls, canister 'n' element fuel filters, and float bowl drains??

Yes I would. Just think about it. If every refill was that contaminated, the gas station owner is selling gallons of water for the price of gas with every refill of his tanks! Don't know what stations you frequent, but I frequent the cheapest and they refill about every few weeks. So that is some money for nothing.

Been using a Mr. Funnel for ~5 years and would never be without one. I never stop being surprised with the junk I find coming from tanks and pumps. It makes me wonder what kind of filters stations use. And speaking of filters, don't even get me started on the grey areas the manufacturers use on that stuff: absolute vs nominal and using big numbers with small percentages to make them seem like they're better than another brand.

Yes I would. Just think about it. If every refill was that contaminated, the gas station owner is selling gallons of water for the price of gas with every refill of his tanks!
LOL‼
How would you suggest the fuel companies and station owners eliminate condensation in their storage tanks??

Been using a Mr. Funnel for ~5 years and would never be without one. I never stop being surprised with the junk I find coming from tanks and pumps. It makes me wonder what kind of filters stations use.
Question for ya'...
Have you ever poured your "filtered" gas through the filter a second time?? And a third time??

if you guys saw how long some of the guys in the bush let their saws sit with the cap off looking for the gas to fill it in the pissing down rain you wouldn't worry about that drip of water LOL here on the wetcoast. some days are like working in your shower with the tap on full blast cold LOL soaked in seconds. i'm sure the saws get a few litres through that tank throughout their lifetime. the filters they use must stop water from going up to the carb for the most part.

My family owns a gas station. No way you can 100% eliminate moisture. It changes hands so many times before you purchase it. You'd be straining gas for so long, it would be cost prohibitive. Plus the station gets tested and certified on a regular basis. Currently the stations gas is 'clean down to 1 micron with no detectable water'. Blame the ethanol, it binds with moisture to create those gel like water orbs.

The best you can hope for is responsible owners changing filters at the pump regularly and everyone else throughout the the supply chain doing the same.

Question for ya'...
Have you ever poured your "filtered" gas through the filter a second time?? And a third time??

Negative. Mostly because I don't feel like cleaning/wiping and drying the filter. What am I missing?

Currently the stations gas is 'clean down to 1 micron with no detectable water'.

Is that a regulatory, franchise, or other requirement? Is that 1 micron 100% of the time? I only ask that because I read about these hyped up in-line filters which filter down to 3 microns (in big print) and then in tiny print next to it anywhere from 40-70% of the time depending on the manufacturer.

Negative. Mostly because I don't feel like cleaning/wiping and drying the filter. What am I missing?
Honestly, I don't know if you're missing anything... I'm mostly curious.
I'd be willin' to bet a friendly beer (or three) you'd get a little water and grit every time (but notice my confidence level ain't real high... heck, I'd share the beer with ya' no matter what :D)

Latest posts

Back