Finally found an oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nah i actually run lucas and everything else i can get my hands on.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1425220016-210301-jpg.407942

I've switched to the lucas at 32:1, seems to work fine, and the price is certainly good,less than ten bucks a quart at my local mom and pop autoparts store, which is the best in town, beats all the chains..

+1 on the lucas at 28 ; 1 , my concoction , I use a gallon of 87 octane straight gas with no alcohol , 1 ounce of stabil , 1 ounce of marvels , 2 ounces of 104 octane boost and 4 1/2 ounces lucas , makes a saw run like a scalded dog , stays good for a year and never had a galled piston or a carb problem , alcohol gas is very , very bad for 2 strokes , i quit using it altogether in everything when i put some in my bike and it rattled like a box of hammers ...

Is anybody still using the Dolmar synthetic? I picked up a bottle to try and I really prefer the smell over the stihl ultra. I may run the Dolmar for awhile.

i use supertech outboard oil its only 12$ per gallon and does the job.

That's not a good idea and you are lucky. Outboard/marine 2 cycle oil is meant for engines that run much much cooler than chainsaws, due to the constant fresh cold water running through them. In my experience (blowing up two saws using boat fuel in the fall a few years back) it does not stand up to the high temperatures in air cooled motors and breaks down.

Best bang for your buck? Yamalube in the gallon jugs. Get it on ebay, motosports stores, etc. Burns clean, high quality oil and the gallon jug lasts forever.

i use supertech outboard oil its only 12$ per gallon and does the job.

I won't criticize what other ppl do with their own equipment, but just as a friendly FYI, there was a thread in chainsaw awhile back about a guy using outboard 2 stroke oil(tcw-3). He literally ruined like 4, ms362's. Just food for thought.

tcw-3 is only for use in 2 stroke oil injected engines - which is most 2 cycle outboard engines out there today. It's not meant for mixing with gas.

That's not a good idea and you are lucky. Outboard/marine 2 cycle oil is meant for engines that run much much cooler than chainsaws, due to the constant fresh cold water running through them. In my experience (blowing up two saws using boat fuel in the fall a few years back) it does not stand up to the high temperatures in air cooled motors and breaks down.

Best bang for your buck? Yamalube in the gallon jugs. Get it on ebay, motosports stores, etc. Burns clean, high quality oil and the gallon jug lasts forever.
I've been using TCW3 oil in air cooled 2 strokes for a long time without a problem.As to the temp.in A/C vs water cooled,the crank case temp. in either is not much different one from the other.Once the fuel mix is pushed into the cylinder and lights off ,the oil in either type goes out the exhaust as smoke!
The advantage of W/C vs A/C is that the temp. in the W/C stays more consistent throughout the run and therefore probably more efficient .

I've been using TCW3 oil in air cooled 2 strokes for a long time without a problem.
TC-W3 oil contains larger amounts of heavy oils and dispersants, and no detergent additive... that's a problem with air-cooled two-cycle engines due to the differences in piston temperature.
Because of the typical way they're used, air-cooled engines run a lower average piston temperature, but have a much higher peak temperature. At the lower average temperature TC-W3 oils won't burn properly, and at the higher peak temperature they'll form harmful deposits. The combination of more likely deposits and no detergent additive greatly increases the risk of piston ring sticking. You're playing a game of Russian Roulette with your air-cooled two-cycles... when you do lose the game (and you eventually will), it will be at wide-open-throttle when the maximum damage is done.

TC-W3 oil contains larger amounts of heavy oils and dispersants, and no detergent additive... that's a problem with air-cooled two-cycle engines due to the differences in piston temperature.
Because of the typical way they're used, air-cooled engines run a lower average piston temperature, but have a much higher peak temperature. At the lower average temperature TC-W3 oils won't burn properly, and at the higher peak temperature they'll form harmful deposits. The combination of more likely deposits and no detergent additive greatly increases the risk of piston ring sticking. You're playing a game of Russian Roulette with your air-cooled two-cycles... when you do lose the game (and you eventually will), it will be at wide-open-throttle when the maximum damage is done.
Pretty much all true as far as the chemistry of TCW3 is concerned and it not completely burning-in these engines- and leaving harmful deposits.However any and all deposits including bits of metal will show up on the spark plug.I'm not seeing any of this on my plugs in any of my 2 strokers.As an aside the TCW3 I'm using is labeled for use in A/C engines including chainsaws.My biggest saw is about 18 years old and still going strong.Now, you know,I know and everybody on this board knows,They all" crash and burn eventually"!

.As an aside the TCW3 I'm using is labeled for use in A/C engines including chainsaws.!
Debating joining into another oil conversation..but...Is it not possible for an oil to work respectably in both TCW-3 and AC engines? You would think with science these days that wouldn't be too big of an ask....

Back