Finally started cutting again ... it was a long winter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your grass is GREEN!!!

I like how you have your wood stacks setup off the ground like that and I bet that's one heck of a view in the fall.

We've been in "drydock" around here until a few weeks ago, now having to play serious catchup on a couple of sites to prep for reforestation. Some, we're just knocking down & making avenues in the tops of blowdowns for replanting access. We'll get to the stems whenever- no shortage of that sort of brutal amusement for the summer.

A bit back, I stacked some green oak splits high like in the pic. Really bad move. As they air-dried & shrunk, wanna guess how long it for the big stack to tumble? Not long, in spite of shoring it up with tubafores. Wood moves. :surprised3:

Finally got out Saturday early morning to cut some logs up and split. Then came the rain. I never wish rain off but I had four extra people to help. Better luck next time I guess. Just about time to plant here so the wood will have to wait.

I've been doin' a small amount of cuttin, and a bit of splittin' 'n' stackin'.
Damn... did I ever get fat and out'a shape over winter... and it gets worse every spring.
Did some cutting on sat, and most of the day sunday leveling and stacking. Legs and back still screaming a bit.

Grass just greened up in the last 3 or 4 days. We were ugly brown after the snow finally melted off. I stopped mowing the large fields before the mowing season ended so the deer could forage. Seems to have worked, they stayed around in large numbers all winter. I will be on the mower before the end of April.

Yes, fall colors are sometimes spectacular. The amount of color seems to coinside with the degree of temperature shifts day-to-night (higher makes better color) and whether or not we have a dry spell in late summer.

The cross stacking on the ends makes a pretty solid brace for the rest of the stack. Only time I lost part of a stack was when the cats were romping on top. I put cross stacks in the center too for added support. Going a bit higher with the stack gives me more open area on the ground.

Man, you guys truly suck! I've still got FEET of snow in the yard and woods. What ground is showing is soaking wet and muddy!

Man, you guys truly suck! I've still got FEET of snow in the yard and woods. What ground is showing is soaking wet and muddy!
I can empathize with you as two years ago we had two to three feet of snow on the ground into may. We've been snow free for several weeks this spring.

I sympathize with ya' man... you boys out that-a-way ain't had an easy go of it by anyone's measure.
Ehhhhh, not looking for sympathy. Just get a little ansty seeing everybody's "Back in the Woods" threads while I'm still blowing snow lol. Besides, I'm sure your ice fishing is pretty crappy!

Besides, I'm sure your ice fishing is pretty crappy!
L-O-L‼
Ain't never seen the point of sittin' out in the wind on a massive ice cube during winter to catch fish when it's so much better durin' spring 'n' summer.
But I have sat many times in shirtsleeves, in a heated ice-fishin' house, with a ballgame on the TV, drinkin' beer 'n' whiskey... just never got around to wettin' a line :D
It was more about hidin' from the women folk...

L-O-L‼
Ain't never seen the point of sittin' out in the wind on a massive ice cube during winter to catch fish when it's so much better durin' spring 'n' summer.
But I have sat many times in shirtsleeves, in a heated ice-fishin' house, with a ballgame on the TV, drinkin' beer 'n' whiskey... just never got around to wettin' a line :D
It was more about hidin' from the women folk...
Hahahaha, what kind of fool do you take me for?! I have a nice insulated ice shack with propane and electric heater when I can remember the generator. This year myself and an old friend or two spent many a day and night out there until long after midnight!

Tree Tangler, we're not finished with our muddy stage either. I was surprised how fast the snow disappeared once the nights warmed up above freezing. Last snow I saw was about 10 days ago. Today is April 20th and we had a morning fire in the fireplace to get the chill off and we will have one tomorrow and the next day according to the forecast.

How thick does the ice have to be to cut a hole and fish through it? Sounds like fun if you have the proper gear and equipment.
That all depends on how good the ice is and how brave/stupid you are lol. They say around here that 2 inches of good clear ice is safe to walk on, but we generally wait for 4-6 inches before drilling holes. The lake that I put my shack on had over 30" of ice when I pulled my shack off in April!

Latest posts

Back