Find Tri-Axle Pole Firewood in SW PA (Uniontown)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar969

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Okay so I have not been on the forum for a couple years now. My englander 3000 sq ft furnace is doing great I have a three year supply that I rotate. But after last winter I looked around my property and well, I scrounged mostly everything up.

I am trying to find a grapple tri-axle load near uniontown pa but my results only find "frye lumber company" but for about 6 cords they are charging $780 delivered. Heck at that price I be better off buying it split.

I would like to buy by the grapple cause I already have the chainsaws and splitter. Goal was to save money buying by the triaxle load but looks like wont save that much money after all??

Can anyone help me or give advice where to find a place. I tried Craigslist yellow-pages, Facebook and word of mouth but still no luck. Thanks

No the bug hasn't made its way to my property yet at least.

I did try local tree service and no luck. But i did place an order I got a grapple load for $500 and it should give me about 5 cords he said. Here is the strange thing though. They offered a grapple with large diameter logs about 24" for $500 and a grapple load with small diameter logs up to 12" for $650 and these prices included delivery. Why would the smaller log load cost more because my logic was that there is more air space thus less wood but it costs more? Seemed strange to me?

$780 for 6 cords isnt bad at all, that's only $130/cord. We charge $155/cord for logs. $275 for processed firewood.

Larger wood is cheap because no one wants to deal with it, least around here. We stack all the big/knarly stuff into a separate deck and try to sell it for maybe $100 a cord.

Right now is a terrible time to buy wood too. It's like trying to buy a snow shovel right after a major snowstorm or a generator during an extended power outage.
I'm 3+ weeks out on orders and just about everyday I get a call or two with someone expecting I stop everything I'm doing to bring them firewood since they didn't have any foresight to plan ahead.

No the bug hasn't made its way to my property yet at least.

I did try local tree service and no luck. But i did place an order I got a grapple load for $500 and it should give me about 5 cords he said. Here is the strange thing though. They offered a grapple with large diameter logs about 24" for $500 and a grapple load with small diameter logs up to 12" for $650 and these prices included delivery. Why would the smaller log load cost more because my logic was that there is more air space thus less wood but it costs more? Seemed strange to me?
They charge more for smaller stuff cause it's easier to process. I sell firewood and it is tough getting tree service companies to bring me wood. They usually give me some BS response. It is possible to find companies to bring you wood. You just have to make it as easy as possible for them to bring you wood. I've heard sliding a little cash over to the driver helps. Most of the tree service companies around me take the wood to mulching places. The mulching places charge the companies boat loads of cash. And it seems like most of the companies don't mind paying cause they just charge the customer.

$780 for 6 cords isnt bad at all, that's only $130/cord. We charge $155/cord for logs. $275 for processed firewood.

Larger wood is cheap because no one wants to deal with it, least around here. We stack all the big/knarly stuff into a separate deck and try to sell it for maybe $100 a cord.

Right now is a terrible time to buy wood too. It's like trying to buy a snow shovel right after a major snowstorm or a generator during an extended power outage.
I'm 3+ weeks out on orders and just about everyday I get a call or two with someone expecting I stop everything I'm doing to bring them firewood since they didn't have any foresight to plan ahead.
Yup let's wait until end of September to get a triaxle load and I want it by october. Seems in the last 10 years it used to be more people callong for loads end of winter or beginning of spring, now that call end of summer early fall. Best ones ask for "seasoned" logs.

@mopar969, you should look up you local saw mills and ask them they sell firewood logs or know anyone that delivers to them that does. Good luck.

Pic of grapple load guys. Also didnt realize that buying this time of year is a bad idea cause I am not going to use this wood for three years from now. When is best time of year to order wood?

Attachments

• WP_20160924_07_38_29_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160924_07_38_29_Pro.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
Pic of grapple load guys. Also didnt realize that buying this time of year is a bad idea cause I am not going to use this wood for three years from now. When is best time of year to order wood?
Get the wood as soon as possible. Get it cut and split as soon as possible. Why are you waiting 3 years from now to use the wood?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I let my wood dry for three years before use. I have three different stacks of pallets and rotate every year. So what's best time buy off of these saw mill guys given that info

Winter, early spring and summer. Spring is generally a no go because of mud and broad weight restrictions.

I let my wood dry for three years before use. I have three different stacks of pallets and rotate every year. So what's best time buy off of these saw mill guys given that info
Whenever they are into the wood! These last minute firewood guys are lucky I'm doing a job for a forester, lots of standing dead oak and ash. Three years to me seems a bit extreme but whatever works for you go with it. $700 a triaxle is about average, some more, very fewless up here in NC central pa. 6-8 or so cord depending on how crooked and diameter. Stop by a husqvarna, stihl or jonsered dealer and ask for loggers numbers or ask to leave a flyer by the exit.

$700-800 is about the going rate here in york co. i see plenty of wood going by my place as i'm on one of the main roads to Glatfelter paper mill and i can never seem to get a truck to pull over and unload.:rolleyes:
here's a pic of Glatfelters wood pile.
DSC_5773.jpg

$700-800 is about the going rate here in york co. i see plenty of wood going by my place as i'm on one of the main roads to Glatfelter paper mill and i can never seem to get a truck to pull over and unload.:rolleyes:
here's a pic ogf Glatfelters wood pile.
DSC_5773.jpg
If you stand in the middle of the road they will stop. lol

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I agree with damato333 if in deed 3 years ahead why are you buying now. While burning your 3 year stash you probably could scrounge 1 to 2 years worth of wood in that time for free. (not exactly free but at WAY less cost)

Well I guess I should have explained my setup a little better. Right now I have wood available for this year and next year but the wood that I used for last winter has yet to be replenished. So I got this that way I can get caught up. Plus all of my property is on a hill and even with a good 4x4 if it snows enough I cant get up the hill and then I waste alot of time that I could be cutting wood.

Looking at it I guess I should say that my wood season for 2.5 years since I don't replenish until the fall each year. I do this cause cutting in the summer is too hot and I sweat my butt off at work. LOL

Hey I'm pretty close to you. I grew up near ohiopyle and actually went to uniontown high school. I see an ad for a cord (split, delivered, and stacked for 100). I'm tempted to buy one to see it. We sold wood split and delivered for 130 plus delivery. I think that load you got looks good at a good price. There aren't many people around with a loader truck from what we've seen.

Latest posts

Back