Finding Quality Employees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disturbing statement. Drugs are not a guaranteed route to becoming a good treeman. I've worked with some great treemen-some were clean, some were alcoholics, and some were druggies. I've also worked with some piss poor treemen-some were clean, some were alcoholics, and some were druggies. A love and passion for the job will make a good treeman whether they are doing drugs or not.

I'm actually one of the "straight edges." Don't do drugs and go months without a beer. Very early in my climbing career, came to work with a bad hangover. Foreman pulled me aside and asked me how i'd feel if i hurt one of my groundies because i was screwed up. The thought stuck with me.
I've got nothing against drugs and alcohol. I tell my guys when they leave the yard, i don't give a rat's ass what they do. They can get drunk, get high, sell their body on the street, go to church, whatever. But if what they do outside of work affects what they do at work, well, then it becomes my problem, and they aren't gonna like how i solve problems.

no your right on that one big dog. i should clear it up a bit and say that of the guys who used in one way or the other it was the pot smokers that did it best.

maybe that is where the misunderstanding comes in.

no your right on that one big dog. i should clear it up a bit and say that of the guys who used in one way or the other it was the pot smokers that did it best.

maybe that is where the misunderstanding comes in.

It would be a cold day in help,before some pot head out climbed me.
Not braggin it is just fact,I have my senses and won't have to second
guess, and did not forget to get my gear when the competition begun.

its oldirty.

hey rope, what was life like 16 years ago that makes aspirin a good time for you now?

and i dont believe grass can be lumped into the crap.

Sorry on the name, life was help in those days, but have too many senior moments to remember them now! Grass can be lumped into crap it is no magic wand to make bad behavior good! It is lesser than some nasties, but I have seen kids go hungry so parents could get high. No matter how you try, it will never be right just better than some things. Many here have problems with saw buying and shinny new products and i'm Guilty.

Last edited:
It would be a cold day in help,before some pot head out climbed me.
Not braggin it is just fact,I have my senses and won't have to second
guess, and did not forget to get my gear when the competition begun.

Remember, we're not talking about climbing stoned, I would'nt do that these days- a few times in my younger days, but it was too much effort/paranoia to be honest. I'll guarantee I'd give ya a run for yer money, the fog aint that thick.

Remember, we're not talking about climbing stoned, I would'nt do that these days- a few times in my younger days, but it was too much effort/paranoia to be honest. I'll guarantee I'd give ya a run for yer money, the fog aint that thick.

:hmm3grin2orange: I would probably have to train, as my bucket
has got me thick in the middle :laugh: Their aren't too many youngsters
around here that outperform me, but I feel my body changing some, and
don't like going through the pain to show my capabilities anymore.
A whippersnapper full of pis and Wheaties almost seems like a Rocky 6:laugh:

:hmm3grin2orange: I would probably have to train, as my bucket
has got me thick in the middle :laugh: Their aren't too many youngsters
around here that outperform me, but I feel my body changing some, and
don't like going through the pain to show my capabilities anymore.
A whippersnapper full of pis and Wheaties almost seems like a Rocky 6:laugh:

Whippersnapper! Thanks, I thought I was getting old at 35.

I used to smoke pot . I never did it at work . I never tried it until I was in my twenties. Here are the things I learned about pot. It makes you stupid. The next day YOU ARE IN A FOG. I was constantly worried about pulling out in front of a car or truck. I didn't feel totally clear minded for several days after smoking it . No need to compare it to alcohol to rationalize it. We all know drunks are fools. Why not use it to help people who are sick have an appitite, (they probably aren't climbing trees). I told a guy who worked for me one time (Maybe your so stupid you don't know your stupid) I know that sounds awful but you don't know the entire story. I will say he definitely was so stupid he didn't know he was. Found out later he was a pill and pothead. Maybe I am so stupid I don't know it? But I have smoked it so I can say for sure smoking it makes You stupid. Professionals don't use drugs!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to smoke pot . I never did it at work . I never tried it until I was in my twenties. Here are the things I learned about pot. It makes you stupid. The next day YOU ARE IN A FOG. I was constantly worried about pulling out in front of a car or truck. I didn't feel totally clear minded for several days after smoking it . No need to compare it to alcohol to rationalize it. We all know drunks are fools. Why not use it to help people who are sick have an appitite, (they probably aren't climbing trees). I told a guy who worked for me one time (Maybe your so stupid you don't know your stupid) I know that sounds awful but you don't know the entire story. I will say he definitely was so stupid he didn't know he was. Found out later he was a pill and pothead. Maybe I am so stupid I don't know it? But I have smoked it so I can say for sure smoking it makes You stupid. Professionals don't use drugs!!!!!!!!!!!

Professionals don't use drugs.

There it is, in a nutshell.

4 years Tree Climbing , 20 years Rock climbing and Caving SRT.

All Drug Free.

Last edited:
Interesting opinions. I remember reading a thread on the Injury Section about guys with bad backs and hips. Seems like half the board was on some form of pain killer and were still climbing.

Wonder what's worse, legal pain killers or "illegal" grass?

Just a side note, marijuana was only made illegal between 1910 and 1930. And that was through the heavy lobbying of Dupont and William Hearst, both of whom had processes for making plastics and paper from wood. Hemp was a competing product, so their lobby was to eliminate the competition.

What I'm trying to say is that marijuana is illegal because someone decided it should be illegal not because of some inherent characteristic. Similar to alcohol during Prohibition, it was made illegal because someone decided to make it illegal.

In most jurisdictions of North America, marijuana has be decriminalized, that is you won't be charged for possession and use. Many places in the world, it has been legalized

I haven't been in this industry long, about 6 years, but in my estimation 80% of the people who I have worked with toke up fairly regularily. Not that I'm pure, but it makes me sick, so I don't.

Personally, I feel much safer around guys who toked up the night before (and fell asleep early) than drunks who came to work hung over (and partied like a rock star all night).

The problem I see with testing is that you are severely limiting the supply of potential workers in an industry that has difficulty recruiting in the first place. People should be measured on their performance.

finally a voice of reason.

while i respect your opinions reach and rope, i think you might be a bit on the tyranical side of the matter.

other than wasting the tax payers money on wasted police effort i dont see a problem.

go after the bigger and badder fish like meth and other manmade chemicals.

a plant is a plant.

hey user, you're a...

:looser:
Rope, I'm sorry I find this post mildly annoying. Are you saying you dissagree with an employee smoking a doober after work, or having some beers ? I'm not saying saying on the job. I smoke pot and drink, after work and after any calls are returned etc. I'm not proud of it but its just me at this point. I dont lie in real life and I'm not gonna here either. I still do the same thing at night now as I did when I was younger- think about the days climb and try to think how it could've been better, or just enjoy the memories- and my buzz. So I gotta say does that make me a bad tree guy ? And if you were my boss and I showed up everyday worked safe (even if a little hung over) and made you a ton of money while talking to your customers with dignity and respect/taking care your equipment would that make me a bad employee ? By the way, WTF is "glue brain"?, and no, never seen it, can you post a pic ?

Back