Fine dust getting past air filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubletrouble

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As the title States, I'm getting fine dust in the carb throat/elbow. The saw is a timberpro cs6150 (I know it's a Chinese knock off, some don't like that and I get it) it's based on the design of a redmax g5000. So far I thought it might have been getting in through the seam of the clamshell style filter so I wrapped it with some tape to see if it made a difference. No luck. Take a look at the pics and give me some more ideas. One thought I had was maybe the rubber gasket between the filter and carb isn't thick enough and allowing the dust to be sucked in? Any thoughts?
IMG_20170130_184332629.jpg IMG_20170130_184342718.jpg
I do have the rubber gasket for the filter, it was sitting on the bench when I took the pics.

Who cares!? This Paranoia about fine dust is sometimes quite annoying. If we look at the saws of yesterdecades, they even let coarse dust through their filters and have easily survived until today. Come on guys stay serious these are chainsaws, the next evolutionary step to the hammer and not high powered Multi injection Turbo charged shortblock light sabers...

What I think when I see fine dust in that amount, learn how to sharpen your chain correctly, that includes the rakers. There are dozens if not hundreds of threads here on how to just use the search function. Further chain Quality can have a big Impact on cutting Quality. Consider the chain delivered with your saw to be the bottom line that only deserves to be called chain because it consists of multiple links conected by Pins...

Some Wood or bark types are more prone to dust but typically it is not a Problem.

I hate autocorrect!

Well let's see if we can respond to the question. Try some foam rubber to seal the filter connection better. It is possible that the filter element material is compromised and allowing the fine stuff through. I've seen several Chinese AM filters that had perforations at the edges where the material is heat fused to the housing. Have you tried another filter?

I used house hold silicone on my 361 when I had it
It seals but doesn't glue it on so it's easy to clean off and reapply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start the saw and spray some carburetor cleaner around filter edges and other connecting points to see if it changes the way it runs. Small amounts of carb cleaner though. (I can load the photos to see if it's possible in this case).

I would be concerned about sawdust. Today's saws run much tighter tolerances than the saws of yesteryear. Fine dust ingestion will cause engine failure at some point not too far down the road.

Sometimes the nut on the filter cover tightens down on the cover before it pushes the filter down far enough to seal on these chinese saws. Take the nut off the filter cover and sit the cover in place with the filter also in place and do some measuring. I have had to put a rubber washer over the top of the filter on some of these chinese saws so that they seal up.

After looking at the pictures, I would suggest replacing the filter. If be concerned about the quality of the mesh and it's ability to block fine dust. You might be able to pressure test (using low pressure) the entire engine along with the carburetor. You might have to devise some sealing mechanism such as a sealing cone to place into the filter mounting nipple. Hope that makes sense.

I agree that the chain quality that comes with these saws is sub-standard and that would contribute to fine dust particles being thrown around but the day I used this saw last I had a brand new Oregon bar and chain on it.
I will order an OEM filter for the saw and see if it is of better quality and filters better also. In the process I will also experiment with the one that came with it. I'll try checking to see if the gasket is sealing or not and maybe silicone the seam where the halves connect. I've even thought of possibly stretching and sock or something over it to give it a pre-filter of sorts. I'd like to stop the dust or at least as much as possible. The fine dust particles will eventually cause scoring in the cylinder and on the piston. Thanks for the ideas, I'll report back any results as I get time to tinker with it.

I used house hold silicone on my 361 when I had it
It seals but doesn't glue it on so it's easy to clean off and reapply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 run a thin bead of silicone sealant around the edge of the filter that mates up to the air box carb side of this item let it sit until goo has cured refit & try out modify as required

Several AS member have mentioned the use of grease which is a requirement in many situations. There are many chainsaw savy folks who wash their filter with premixed saw gas that has oil in the mix. Or spray filter oil on your filter then heavy grease around the mating surfaces. A lesson learned from many years of dirt bike racing is not to let any dust into the engine. After a few burned up high dollar motors preventive maintenance is manditory. Have not had any dirt in any engine for at least 40 years. Let the engines wear out from hard use not lack of care. Thanks

lifes to short to sweat the small things. i realize 100% filtration should be a possibility but companies are obviously not interested otherwise all saws would have a sealed filter connection with super high quality filter media. this is not a hard task at all and were already paying premium dollars for air filter so why not use premium media. i've cut a gasket out of inner tube to seal my filter mount but it always end up coming off with the filter and making more of a mess then it's worth so i just ignore it. i never cared as i started cutting in the 2 series husky days when the 3120 was the only 3 series around. pretty well all the 2 series let fines by and alot more then today's saws. when i remove my filter to tap out i just be sure no chunks fall in and ignore the fines altogether. i've worked with guys who carelessly tap out their air filter right above their intake opening and put it back on like nothing happened. they just go cut wood. these guys still get a year out of a saw so i'm confident my saws are gonna last. i knw a guy who ran a 660 for a long time without an air filter trying to blow it up and it didn't even after alot of run time.

The nylon mesh is just too coarse and is letting fine dust through. My solution is to cut a piece of foam filter (or even foam packing material) to the right size to fit inside the filter cage, lightly oil the foam and NO dust will get through. You will have to fish the foam out and clean it and re-oil it often.

I would be concerned about sawdust. Today's saws run much tighter tolerances than the saws of yesteryear. Fine dust ingestion will cause engine failure at some point not too far down the road.
Obviously you have no idea about what type of saw we are talking. We are talking about the Zenoah G5000 clon. The original saw was designed around the end of the 80's beginning of the 90's. So this IS a decade old design and there is hardly anything new on it!
Why do I know this? Because my only 50cc saw is a Hitachi CS40EM = Zenoah G5000. So yes I do have hands on experience with this model.

... A lesson learned from many years of dirt bike racing is not to let any dust into the engine. After a few burned up high dollar motors preventive maintenance is manditory. Have not had any dirt in any engine for at least 40 years. Let the engines wear out from hard use not lack of care. Thanks
Another misconception! We are talking about fine SAW dust and NOT about fine DIRT! Saw dust consists of a soft material named cellulose, while dirt dust consists of a mixure of material with different amounts of sand included. Sand is extremely hard and abrasive, that is also the reason why cut off saws have extremely well designed typically oil impregnated filters. This on the otherhand is NOT required for chainsaws.

And for those paranoid about fine saw dust, they should buy a dolmar = makita 6100! Clearly the best airfilter at the moment on the market.

Back