Fire starters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue924.9

flannel wearin sumbitch
Reaction score
Would it work to mix wood chips and dust work elmers glue to make homemade starters?

Glue and fire don't jive... some glues are Baddddd.... the temp they burn and the temp your fire is may be wayyyyy off, causing bad stuff in the air, either inside or outside.. (so ive heard) Use Wax/ Be Happy :)

I collect spruce pitch because that's what is available. I have been thinking of heating up pitch and adding beeswax to make a spruce tar for gift fire starters. Anybody try that?

I use a product called supercedar. They look like a hockey puck break em into four pieces and no need for anything but my cord wood. They are also safe for cat stoves as this is what my blaze king came with.

Take a cardboard egg carton, sprinkle in sawdust and a few wood noodles in each space, pour in melted paraffin wax, cut into individual sections, presto! Awesome starters for the stove, fire pit, campfire, charcoal grill, whatever.

I use a product called #2 diesel or Shell Rotella T6 that has ab0ut 5000 miles on it.

Lol.....just going to say the same thing. No way I would recommend or use this in an indoor stove though. My boiler......that combo.......some serious forced air cfm's.......now that's a fire.

Just regular off road for the fire pit and swedish candles.

melt your wax in a double boiler and mix chips in until you can't possibly get any more in. Pour into a pan dusted with more chips. Set outside to cool and then cut to the needed size. This is how my son and I make ours. You can buy wax in bulk online at different craft/candlemaking sites.

Shea

Seen where they use paper towel and toilet paper tubes, filled with lint out of dryer.....burns good.

stock-photo-38379164-nachos.jpg
one match and it's on! Try it...
Also, + 1 on the supercedars, awesome. I cut lil pieces off, I can get through a whole winter on 2 or 3 SCs that way. There only like $0.50 or so, too cheap to bother fartin around making my own

I'm a contractor, so whenever I get any cedar (siding, shingles, posts, etc), I cut it into short lengths and have the kids split it into kindling. Some newspaper and the propane torch and she's off and running. It's all free for me (except the propane).

At my cabin I save cardboard boxes from food such as oatmeal, Mac n cheese, etc in a liquor box and when the box is full I put it in the sauna dressing room. A food box or two and a little shot of diesel or charcoal lighter plus a few carpentry scraps gets the fire going quickly.

A box of fire starters last about a year or more and that includes meat smoker. I use Seymour Fire Blox, a box of 144 for about $50.

I mix shredded paper and wood chips into melted wax the I pack it tight into cardboard tubes 1" in dia. Once it's hard I cut into 1/4" disks. 1 tube lasts all year. Or I use newspaper and thinly split wood scraps.

Back