Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire

Discussion in 'Forestry and Logging Forum' started by Gologit, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Wildland_Firefighter

Wildland_Firefighter The Judge

There can be large fars here in the SE..typically where I am in Southeast Georgia. We had the biggest fire in Georgia and Floridas history in 2007. But we have more pine plantations. Most up yalls way is leaves..

Out west you can run into sage that burns hot and manzaneta and other brush then you have lodgepole, pines, and firs..which are pretty resiny.

down here we have pines, gallberry, kudzu, palmettos, and other brush.

Western fire season can start real early, according to snow fall and rain fall and can even go into late fall until snow/rain.

SE fires can be year round since lots of the area doesnt get snow. its according to the rainfall. Though we classify fire season in the SE around Fall to Spring. Summers are humid and get the thunderstorms. Though we have had several bad fires even when the humidity is up..especially when our brush and pines have lots of flammable resins rising in spring and summer.

Humans are the #1 cause of wildfires followed by natural ooooccurances(lightning).

Weve had several lightning fires this year.

2. atpchas

atpchas AtA

Gologit likes this.
  3. northmanlogging

northmanlogging The gyppo's gyppo

dumb question...

what do you professional folks use to keep the fire tanks from freezing, if anything.

can't be toxic of course, and I don't like the idea of salt, I sometimes use my fire tank to clean equipment as well, so it can't be corrosive either...

SeMoTony likes this.
  4. Wildland_Firefighter

Drain the tank or keep inside a building to lessen cracked pipes.

Thats what we do with our engines.

5. northmanlogging

tanks drianed now, pump too.

I'm thinkin cause I might need this on a job durring freezing weather, (not like often, but still).

SeMoTony likes this.
  6. Wildland_Firefighter

Its easier and cheaper to refill with water than to buy a new pump or pipes and replace them.

I know its a pain though but its the only way we've done it. Other places might use something else.

You could fill up a tank real quick with a hydrant or a deep well with a good pump (that has its pipes insulated).

7. madhatte

madhatte It's The Water Staff Member

Tank drained, pumps and valves filled with non-toxic RV antifreeze. We still lose the occasional ball valve due to water trapped in the flat between ball and valve body.

8. northmanlogging

thats right they put that RV stuff in the drinkin water... have to look into that.

9. madhatte

W'd probably use the cheap old ethylene glycol but for the fact that the hazmat folks are in the same office as us and it's kind of important to keep the peace.

Metals406 and northmanlogging like this.
  10. Cfaller

Cfaller ArboristSite Operative

I usually use compressed air to blow all the valves and piping out. A screw compressor flowing 100+ cfm works wonders on slip on units.

Nathan lassley likes this.
  11. 2dogs

2dogs Addicted to ArboristSite

RV anti-freeze is what we use for all the summer camp pipes and toilets when there will be even a little water left.

Metals406 and madhatte like this.
  12. madhatte

Stuff seems to work pretty well. Just gotta be careful to recirc everything and cycle everything open and shut to prevent water entrapment in the spaces between things. It's hard to not crack at least one thing every year.

northmanlogging and Metals406 like this.
  13. northmanlogging

pump has a pretty good drain, suction hose is detached and drained.

Only one valve and that is on the tank, I'm mostly concerned about having water available, rather then a large 3000# block of ice, and if I do decide to use it, not destroying every living thing in the splash zone.

madhatte likes this.
  14. atpchas

atpchas AtA

madhatte likes this.
  15. atpchas

atpchas AtA

madhatte likes this.
  16. Scablands

Scablands Total Poser

This is one of my favorite reports: https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/wa_swepctnormal_update.pdf

Washington is looking good this year. We should be well over 100% of normal here with the snow pounding down here tonight.

Here is a directory of all snowpack reports. They are usually updated daily.

https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/

Map of the entire west: https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/west_swepctnormal_update.pdf

And the fire crews might be busy in Alaska this year...
    https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/ak_swepctnormal_update.pdf

madhatte, TN woodcutter and atpchas like this.
  17. Wildland_Firefighter

We're going to be busy down here in the SE more than likely.

18. TN woodcutter

TN woodcutter ArboristSite Lurker

@Wildland_Firefighter Could be, but we've gotten tons of rain here lately. The only thing we've had is a few 3-5 acre fires, and all pretty easy to knock down. Is it pretty dry down there in Georgia?

19. Wildland_Firefighter

We've been getting rain here and there but the thing is trees and plants are now taking up water and then farmers will start turning on their irrigation pivots thus ground water will get low quickly.

You can go a week without rain and have a sunny day with some winds on days to dry out fuels even more..and youll have big fires.

On a sunny warm day its estimated an inch or more of ground saturation will dry up.

TN woodcutter likes this.
  20. 2dogs

2dogs Addicted to ArboristSite

I went up to a friend's house in the mountains today and I was surprised to see offender crews burning off a hill side. There wasn't much fire, anything down is still wet from the winter rains. It looked like they were raking everything into piles to get some heat. Both crews were in brand new nomex, very bright orange. It won't be for long.

My son Cody has a full time permanent job with benefits at the university (a 5 minute drive from home) so we didn't sign up as fallers this season with Cal Fire or USFS.