fireplace door gap question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecarrr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just got a set of fireplace doors off craigslist for a really good deal. My fireplace has slight overhang on the top that makes the door frame sit out a little bit on the sides. Also the brick is not flat and there's a gap at the top. Everything I've read on the net says to pack fiberglass insulation in this gap. My problem is that the gap is so big, I think it will look like crap. Should I do the fiberglass and put on some kind of high temp black caulk to match the metal door frame? If so, what kind? Do I have to fill this gap at all? Will sealing the doors give me more heat in any way? I did a search and there's was a guy that had a similar setup to me that said he heated a 1700 square foot house with his fireplace. I have a 1200 square foot house and so far, the fireplace just takes a decent dent out of the propane bill. But I burned a face cord of oak in a little over a week! I have unlimited firewood so I wanna use the free fuel. I see it reccomended alot but I can't afford an insert right now. :(

Joe

4-1.jpg

Those are kittens warming up in front of the fireplace. lol

3.jpg

2.jpg

place fiberglass insulation in the wide frame all around the frame.

then, you can use a caulk color of your choice. with the insulation in place, there should not be any heat around the outer edges. that is what i've done and i used silicone caulking and have never had a problem.

the insulation should not be packed too much, but not too little. when you have it in place, press against the frame then tighten the frame to the fireplace.

also, add a bead to the bottom before putting it in. this will also help reduce air flow. if you're conserned about the type of silicone, you can find high temp rtv silicone either on-line or at auto parts store or box stores. i found some on ebay that was rated above 800 degrees and it was clear.

maybe a google search will help you find some.

also, you might want to check something out like this:

http://www.stollfireplaceinc.com/pdf_instructions/GrateHeater_Manual.pdf

we use something similar and we are able to heat our 2000 sq. ft. ranch without a problem.

also, i noticed you have convection vents on the fireplace. have you considered putting pancake fans in the bottom vents to move more air?

Last edited:
Back