Fireplace insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear1998

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The wife and I are hopefully going to own are 1st home soon. The home we are buying has a propane insert installed now. We want to install a wood insert so I would like to know what you guys would recommend? We would like one that is not complex in maintaining a good fire...doesn't have to be real efficient as the home is not very big (1200 sq. ft.) . I don't know with the EPA rules and guidelines if you can purchase one without a (cat) anymore? Any suggestion are welcomed!! Thanks

We had a Russo insert for almost 30 years. Replaced the cat 3-4 times. It sat out of the fireplace enough to sit a tea kettle on it. You could also cook on it if the power went out. I could load the firebox with Oak and get a 12 hour burn. We would keep windows cracked and it heated our 1800 sf house fine. My wife decided she wanted a new, prettier stove. So, we got a Jotul, no cat stove. It is very pretty, fan is on a thermostat, burns nice, but much smaller firebox. Don't get the long burn time any more. But, I'm retired now, and always have an excuse to quit doing something I don't want to do. Hey, gotta go, gotta put wood on the fire, Joe.

Some pictures to see what you are starting with would help suggestions. Some inserts stand proud of the opening such as rarefish mentioned, some sit flush. You existing dimensions and clearances will dictate which way you can go. One that sit proud of the opening will give you more heat in the house rather than up the chimney.

EPA doesn't mandate a cat stove, EPA regulates emissions and some manufacturers accomplish this using secondary combustion, cats or a combination of both. I believe just about every wood burning appliance you can purchase new will have at a minimum, secondary combustion.

We have a Jotul Rockland 550. Its a large insert but we heat 2600sqft and had the existing dimensions to squeeze it in. We rarely use it because the stove on the other side of the house does the lions share. Unless the temps drop below 15 and/or the winds pick up. Then we have 2 fires going which will easily keep the house at 75. We chose the Jotul based on the dealer. We would have put a Jotul stove in as well, other than a very specific aesthetics situation we have. We were still figuring out the mantle etc. in this picture.

3AAEDBA9-1CA6-49CD-9351-209FF4C543E6_zpspuvqukmw.JPG

Here's the best pic I can give you right now :
4820dAA3DC7949c-AD9862856.jpg

Should be able to fit a decent insert in there. But you wont have enough hearth to have anything standing proud unless you put some protection on the floor to extend the hearth. Just guessing from the picture.

Its going to come down to a matter of aesthetics... There really isn't much difference between the functionality from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Most of your 1200sqft must be in that picture!

Should be able to fit a decent insert in there. But you wont have enough hearth to have anything standing proud unless you put some protection on the floor to extend the hearth. Just guessing from the picture.

Its going to come down to a matter of aesthetics... There really isn't much difference between the functionality from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Most of your 1200sqft must be in that picture!
No...You know how realtors have cameras to make everything big and wonderful (lol) It is as nice as the pic are but not as bid as one might think. I figured we could add stone(slate) on the flooring and/or build the ledge further out

Your options include

Jotul
Hearthstone
Quadra-fire
Osburn
Napoleon
Timberwolf
Vermont Castings
Harman

There are certainly some I am overlooking, that's just off the top of my head.

Another option, if you are considering extending the hearth, is to just stick a free standing stove in or just in front of the opening. Several manufacturers have stoves that are built precisely for this scenario.

BUT.... I would recommend finding a dealer near you. A good appliance doesn't mean squat if you don't have the support behind it should you need it. Case in point... The primary air control on our Jotul has always been stiff. It wasn't until I was putzing around in my dealers shop when I played with the air control on a similar insert and noticed how much easier it was. It only took a mention that I think something was wrong and he had warranty parts and paid me a visit to pull the front panel of the insert off to replace the defective part.

Your options include

Jotul
Hearthstone
Quadra-fire
Osburn
Napoleon
Timberwolf
Vermont Castings
Harman

There are certainly some I am overlooking, that's just off the top of my head.

Another option, if you are considering extending the hearth, is to just stick a free standing stove in or just in front of the opening. Several manufacturers have stoves that are built precisely for this scenario.

BUT.... I would recommend finding a dealer near you. A good appliance doesn't mean squat if you don't have the support behind it should you need it. Case in point... The primary air control on our Jotul has always been stiff. It wasn't until I was putzing around in my dealers shop when I played with the air control on a similar insert and noticed how much easier it was. It only took a mention that I think something was wrong and he had warranty parts and paid me a visit to pull the front panel of the insert off to replace the defective part.
I checked on most you have listed....the dealer we will probly go with has quad fire and Harman and a couple others not on your list. I DO NOT want a free standing stove ..simply would not be feasible. I will see what the dealer has to suggest however I don't trust them entirely cause any salesman can tell you what they think you want to here!!! That is why I'm here!

The thing I've found to be the most important, claims of heating ability are wildly exaggerated among all the manufacturers. They require high btu wood and perfect conditions to hit the stated burn times and heat output.

Go bigger than you think you need. It's easier to load a big firebox light than it is to stuff a small one full.

Sent from a field

I have an Englander insert, I really like it. It's not hungry for wood at all. I can get overnight burns, but only with premium wood, it is fairly small. The only thing is the blower is a necessity. Mine doesn't extend past at all and it won't heat like a free standing unit. You run the blower and you get to use all the heat. You don't and the room gets warm as do the birds outside ;)

Just be aware most inserts are like that, my house I had no other option and the cost of running the blower compared to the electric furnace is sooo far off I deal with it. It would be nice to just use wood and fully heat a house. Maybe someday.

That's a beautiful house. Good luck with it.

Be careful. Neither the hearth nor chimney for propane setups are designed to take the heat of a wood stove. You may have to redesign the hearth and add a lined chimney/insert to be safe. You can look up and download national fire code and go from there.

If renovation gets too involved you may be better with a good stove. I was lucky in that my insert was in a real fireplace with a flue lined chimney. I still added an insulated UL listed stainless steel liner/cap/cleanout, and extended the hearth with fireboard and granite slabs to install a woodstove, be safe, meet code ,and keep insurance comany happy

Here is a copy of a 2003 version:

Attachments

• NFPA211_old.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Be careful. Neither the hearth nor chimney for propane setups are designed to take the heat of a wood stove. You may have to redesign the hearth and add a lined chimney/insert to be safe. You can look up and download national fire code and go from there.

If renovation gets too involved you may be better with a good stove. I was lucky in that my insert was in a real fireplace with a flue lined chimney. I still added an insulated UL listed stainless steel liner/cap/cleanout, and extended the hearth with fireboard and granite slabs to install a woodstove, be safe, meet code ,and keep insurance comany happy

Here is a copy of a 2003 version:

EDIT: Just looked at picture and seems you have a real fireplace, that's great. You'll still want a real flue to get past the smoke chamber, up into the flue, and to the cap. A flexible flue liner will allow you to just remove the damper door and not hack up the fireplace. There are many types of wood inserts but I'd still consider a good stove that will be more versatile and heat better.

For the flue liner and/or insert checkout Rockford Chimney Supply. They are great people to work with, will do custom/made to order, and are USA and lifetime transferable warranty.

Back