Firewood in the round

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed that most craigslist ads here in Montana are truck loads of rounds. I think here, the price is too high and the amount claimed in the load is too low. I have a flat bed 3/4 ton pick up and can safely get 3/4 a chord in larger rounds and 1 chord of smaller rounds per load. If I were selling I think I would at least quarter each round to fill in the gaps.

I guess, if people are buying and not complaining, I would probably sell in rounds too so I could spend more time goofing off.

I noticed that most craigslist ads here in Montana are truck loads of rounds. I think here, the price is too high and the amount claimed in the load is too low. I have a flat bed 3/4 ton pick up and can safely get 3/4 a chord in larger rounds and 1 chord of smaller rounds per load. If I were selling I think I would at least quarter each round to fill in the gaps.

I guess, if people are buying and not complaining, I would probably sell in rounds too so I could spend more time goofing off.

You get more wood in a load with rounds than splits. Every time you split a round it will take up more space when stacked. May not look logical but it is true, I think there is sticky on the subject with several experiments that prove it.
As for "fill in the gaps', it is amazing how small a split piece needs to be to fit into what looks like a big holes.

Harry K

You get more wood in a load with rounds than splits. Every time you split a round it will take up more space when stacked. May not look logical but it is true, I think there is sticky on the subject with several experiments that prove it.
As for "fill in the gaps', it is amazing how small a split piece needs to be to fit into what looks like a big holes.

Harry K

I've tried it before, took a stack of rounds and split it than restacked. Was always a bit less. Rounds leaves tons of space unless it's fairly small stuff, maybe 8-10"

I've tried it before, took a stack of rounds and split it than restacked. Was always a bit less. Rounds leaves tons of space u nless it's fairly small stuff, maybe 8-10"

Agree with this. With some of the rounds and chunks I cut, I could fit a herd of cats in the empty spaces. Splits leave much less airspace, especially if you stack them and not thrown.

Does it season as good as splits that size? Mine doesnt.

I have lost a lot of wood in my piles because I left them round instead of splitting, no more. They will rot instead of dry. Priced accordingly and clearly stating it is not dry I can imagine some folks would like to split it to their preference. Of course there is a big difference from one kind of wood to another. Last week-end I hauled up white oak that was bucked 3 years ago and cherry that was bucked 1 year ago. The cherry was much drier than the oak.

QUOTE="Full Chisel, post: 5623869, member: 125418"]Agree with this. With some of the rounds and chunks I cut, I could fit a herd of cats in the empty spaces. Splits leave much less airspace, especially if you stack them and not thrown.[/QUOTE]

I ran into this fact that defies logic back in the 50s in a book somewhere. I also didn't believe it until it tried it a couple times.

You are ignoring that the spaces are smaller but there are a lot lmore of them. I challenge you to perform a simple experiment.

Take a box top, a tapered carrot. Slice carrot in rounds. Pack as many of them as you can fit into the box top. Now dump those out, split in half and try to put them back in. It can't be done unless you match up each half with its orginal one.

Or review some of the experiments that were done in that sticky (if it still exists)

Each time to make a split you increase the surface area.

General rule is that a stack of rounds will grow about 10% after splitting. Unless of course the rounds are stacked veeerrrryy loosely.

Harry K

I have a stack of rounds going now. I will find out soon enough how much it grows when split.

Back