Firewood in the round

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where at in Northern Maine?

I have friends and family all over... Van Buren, Eagle Lake, Houlton, Caribou, Presque Isle, Madawaska, etc. My brother bought a load a few weeks ago and he said it was $125 a cord tree length. They figure it on weight, 6000lbs to a cord.

We just figure it on the truck being full of logs, usually 9-10 cords.

here if they fit threw the chipper that is where they go
the chipper takes anything less than 18" diameter

the bigger stuff we split and sell for firewood

here if they fit threw the chipper that is where they go
the chipper takes anything less than 18" diameter

the bigger stuff we split and sell for firewood
thats the problem around here! so much of the good stuff is being chipped that the oppertunity to get firewood thats not in swamp land is rare. if it's not chipped it's going into slash piles for burning later when it snows.

Found it. :)
It was from member @Curlycherry1
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/why-i-like-to-work-big-rounds.132442/

Time to drag out the photos of the scale model experiment that was run a few months ago.

Exhibit A :scale model (1" = 1ft) of 4' diameter rounds before splitting and put into a scale model firewood rack:

saw1.jpg

Exhibit B: Said wood from above rounds split and repiled into the same firewood rack. Note the change in volume.

saw2.jpg

Exhibit C: "Mixed" firewood rounds from a typical 12" diameter tree with some 4" rounds thrown in to even it out.
saw3.jpg

Exhibit D: 12" Rounds split into firewood and put back into the same rack as before. Also note the change in volume, pretty much exactly the same change as with the bigger rounds.
saw4.jpg

Found it. :)
It was from member @Curlycherry1
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/why-i-like-to-work-big-rounds.132442/

Time to drag out the photos of the scale model experiment that was run a few months ago.

Exhibit A :scale model (1" = 1ft) of 4' diameter rounds before splitting and put into a scale model firewood rack:

View attachment 462191

Exhibit B: Said wood from above rounds split and repiled into the same firewood rack. Note the change in volume.

View attachment 462193

Exhibit C: "Mixed" firewood rounds from a typical 12" diameter tree with some 4" rounds thrown in to even it out.
View attachment 462194

Exhibit D: 12" Rounds split into firewood and put back into the same rack as before. Also note the change in volume, pretty much exactly the same change as with the bigger rounds.
View attachment 462195

Thanks. I missed that one somehow. I'll save the pics in case the subject comes up again.

I always explained it like this, if you take a piece of wood like Cherry, Rock Maple, Beach , Elm,,,something that when split is at least a little knarley (sp) like my ash or red maple when split is very smooth on the inside . Take the split piece and try to put it back together in the same exact circumference as it was before being split . Cannot be done when you split wood you make a little extra volume. You just cannot put humpty back together again.

Wow, that is a lot for log length wood. how much do you get for a 1 cord fully processed and delivered up there?

$275 for no more than 10 mile haul. Over that I charge $2/mile. $250 if they pickup.

I have seen other sellers anywhere from $225 to $350. At $275 it seems to be a pretty good balance between demand and what I can deliver. Right now I'm about 2 weeks backlogged.

I have cord after cord of boiler wood setting in my way to move out of the way so I can move timber to the landing ! which I am out of room to be able to cut anymore for the trucker to pick up! a load like this is going on cl the last 2 weeks and no takers with so much wood to be had? $250.00 for 2 cords delivered free up to 30 miles! $100.00 a cord if they come and get it!?????????

Attachments

• IMG_6712.JPG
    IMG_6712.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
I have cord after cord of boiler wood setting in my way to move out of the way so I can move timber to the landing ! which I am out of room to be able to cut anymore for the trucker to pick up! a load like this is going on cl the last 2 weeks and no takers with so much wood to be had? $250.00 for 2 cords delivered free up to 30 miles! $100.00 a cord if they come and get it!?????????
What species. Looks a little long for most stoves.

I prefer a backlog. Being sold out leaves money on the table that gets routed somewhere else. Two week backlog is "Priceless".

I've been selling 16" 4'x8' unsplit face cords priced from 50 to $60 each for good hardwoods. Cuts the work way down for me and the volume of the wood is advantageous to the customer especially large rounds mixed with smaller rounds that take up some air space. I have seen volume increases above 20% after splitting. Lot of people still want split but I probably sold near 50% unsplit since the early 1980's, some was to retailers. At my start I got #15 a face cord and they brought help and picked it up where it was cut. Would average about 1 face an hour including down time and breaks using mostly an Homelite c-5 and c-52 on average and bigger wood and an xl 12 for small stuff. At that time local factories and farm labor was about $5 an hour.

Latest posts

Back