ArboristSite.com Sponsors

firewood prices(INDIANA)

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by dbowling, Nov 9, 2008.

1. dbowling

dbowling ArboristSite Member

Ive got a Woodmaster 4400 had for a year and love it so far..anyway Ive got about a 1.5-2 yr. supply of wood cut and stacked...so taking a break from cutting wood for myself and going to cut some to sell- whats the most popular length to sell and what is wood going for in Indiana for a 4x8x? rick, my boss at work said he just paid 90.00 for a rick, told him he got ripped off. My neighbor just had 900 trees logged all virgin timber mostly, huge tops and all hickory, oak, hard maple, cherry, ash with a few poplar...said I can cut it all and keep or sell what I want.. 900 tops is alot of wood. thanks for any help and this is my 1st post. great forum. Dean

RDT likes this.
  2. RDT

RDT AboristSite Guru

Welcome Hoosier. :cheers:

3. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 ArboristSite Member

Welcome to the site, you will find tons of helpful info here. I'm from the east side of Indiana. I'm seeing 4x8 ricks here sell for 60.00$ give or take 5 bucks. The closer you get to Indy the higher it seems to go. It was higher a few weeks ago, but when fuel prices came down, so did the wood prices.

4. tanker

tanker ArboristSite Operative

Good to see another Hoosier. Scott

RDT likes this.
  5. dbowling

dbowling ArboristSite Member

indiana

thanks guys, I work in Indy was thinking about advertising there and loading truck /trailer with wood and delivering after work....have a 6x10 utility trailer w/3500# axle and a Silverado pick up w/full sized bed.Could sell wood around here but a ton of guys already doing it.

Peacock likes this.
  6. Peacock

Peacock Addicted to ArboristSite

I get $70 per rick or 160 for a cord. I'm in Richmond. I've got friends that get just $50 per rick delivered in Brown County.

Where is East Central Indiana? Sounds awfully close to Richmond.:givebeer:

7. STLfirewood

STLfirewood Addicted to ArboristSite

Were the trees dropped with the Sap up or sap Down? If it was with the sap up I would take the cherry and ash quick. By next spring they won;t be much good.

Scott

8. biggen0_8

Hey Peacock I'm between Milton and Connersville, just a half mile into Wayne Co.

Peacock likes this.
  9. Peacock

Peacock Addicted to ArboristSite

Cool! I've delivered some wood near there. I used to work with Scott Ross, a fellow who lives in Milton. Also know a few people from Cambridge.

10. STEVEGODSEYJR

STEVEGODSEYJR AboristSite Guru

WOW this must be Indiana boys only thread<lol>:clap: I live just south of Connersville just about 3 miles north of Laurel. I never realized there were so many people not far from Connersville. Nice meetin you fellas. Steve Godsey:chainsaw:

Mkarlson likes this.
  11. cabinman

cabinman AboristSite Guru

how many??

How many acres are you talkin about, I think more like 90,tops,.....and thats a train load or two,...Eric

12. rx7145

rx7145 AboristSite Guru

WOW 900 tops is more than one or two people can cut. As far as length 16" is about the normal for IWB. 24" for OWB.

13. Mkarlson

Mkarlson ArboristSite Operative

Hmm... I thought I was in far west Indiana (Attica) Around 16-18 inch lenth and 55-60 a "rick" is common price.

14. KsWoodsMan

KsWoodsMan Addicted to ArboristSite

You should have told him to let you know next time he needs some and you would help him out for that price.

15-18" lengths for around here too. Makes it easier to handle and 3 4' x 8' stacks equals a cord.

I wouldn't sell wood if it was only bringing $55 - $65 for 1/3 cord. Different area I suppose. Or just not that hungry yet.

15. timothykamp

timothykamp ArboristSite Member

I'm up in NW Indiana - selling to people who just want a fire or two a week and only need one or two face cords (4'x8'x16") and right now, I'm charging $100 each, with $25 for delivery - but the $25 is a flat fee, no matter how much you buy. I'm sold completely out and now I'm driving 20 min, filling up with a cord that I buy for $75, split three ways and selling it to my customers just to keep them until I can get production up to have a lot next fall.

16. tanker

tanker ArboristSite Operative

I'm just up the road a ways at Mooreland and if this is the Scott Ross that does construction,and originaly from Connersville,he and my wife are 1st cousins.Could be a real small world.Scott

17. jd6030

jd6030 ArboristSite Lurker

I also live in Connersville and have not seen much wood for sale and prices they are wanting but haven't looked very hard. There sure seems to be alot of wood moving around in the back of trucks around here.

18. biggen0_8

Yes, I was seeing a lot more of it for sale about 4-6 weeks ago, when fuel price were high. But like you, it seems like everyone is cutting and hauling wood, evidently for their own use. I don't sell any, I barely get enough time to cut for myself.

19. Laird

Laird Nemo me impune lacessit

I'm over in Parke County and the local ads vary from $45-55 for a pickup load. No mention of pickup size or any other measure. There are a lot of trees in the county and I would say that most locals cut their own.

gink595 likes this.
  20. trek5900

trek5900 ArboristSite Member

I'm in Gibson County (Princeton) and noticed an add in the Evansville paper - $100 for a cord.