firewood processors?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logloper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have been looking at the Woodbine Pro. Anyone have one ? Opinions? Mabe opinions, good or bad, on other processors? Thanks

Only fellow I heard of having one had lots of problems with it- both mechanical and structural; and recieved only abuse from the company. But this is only what I heard 2nd hand- could have just been sour grapes.

Have been looking at the Woodbine Pro. Anyone have one ? Opinions? Mabe opinions, good or bad, on other processors? Thanks

It all depends on your biz.....high volume 1000-2000 cord per year....or 50-100 cord per year...

I lokked at the video "Rapido Loco"....and I really like the circular saw setup.....low maintenance, short cut cycle time, less saw dust-more wood, take less power to run than chain saw....carbide blade can deal with some "contaminated wood"....

That "Rapido Loco" could be rebuilt for remote controlled auto cycle too...that would make it a one man operation....

Here is a similar sized one with chainsaw...I like this one too......
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J1au5XCYCDY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J1au5XCYCDY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If you are thinking about a high capacity processor, you gotta go the the logging-firewood expo/fair and see them live....that is well worth the money...

It all depends on the amount you plan on running thru it. The woodbine line hasnt been out long I think the only I would consider is the big one with the circular saw and I would definately ask for 3 names of guys who have been running them. The blockbuster in the video, I have owned and they are pretty good guys, the problems I noticed with their machines were the adjustable wedge has no down pressure so it floats up and out of the slot in the summer and in the winter when chaff and sawdust get into the small slot that holds the wedge it sticks badly then we had to pull it out with skid and grind the material off, also if your at a show when they run it ask the operator to run a 16" log thru and then run an 8" log thru, it is impossible to center the wedge on the smaller log as it is being held up by the larger pieces left under the wedge from previous log it needs much more relief beneath the wedges. Also the last cut from every log is a crapshoot if it falls correctly into the splitter. Just my 2 cents.

firewood processors

Have been looking at the Woodbine Pro. Anyone have one ? Opinions? Maybe opinions, good or bad, on other processors? Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The least troublesome processor with the fewest parts that require it to work

is the chomper. The folks at Rainer Hydraulics have been building and selling them for years and used ones come up for sale occasionally when a larger chomper is purchased

Red Prospector owns one with a gas engine unit using it in a high altitude situation and is very happy with it.

the least costly unit they offer is the chomper tractor powered processor that depends on the tractor PTO to power the hydraulic system keeping it very simple using manual controls and a wire rope winch to pull the logs to the splitting and shearing head on the unit.

The chomper shears the wood at the predetermined length and splits it at the same time. The shearing action compresses the wood fiber rings and helps to wick out the moisture by crushing the wood fibers.

The wood shearing blade is unaffected by mud and debris as it is made from a very high strength steel.

The wire rope winch eliminates the need for a tractor with a front end loader and that expense.

They also have a conveyor whuch can be paired with the chomper splitter processors.

Buying one of these would allow you to process a lot of wood
and you would separate the logs larger than the throat of the chomper and
either sell the them for lumber or cut them up and split them using a log splitter. I will recommend the Timberwolf brand with very happy personal experience.

The Raineir Hydraulics folks have a video of the chomper in use and it proves its worth. they will answer your questions with no problems and will take the time to talk to you if you have questions.

The smaller tractor powered unit would be alower cost market entry unit

but you need a tractor to mount it on a three point hitch for the PTO
unless you own a Crisafulli PTO power unit

Look at thier video on the chomper home page and go from there, the tractor powered unit will have a much smaller up front cost for you to enter the business.

The bigger chompers have no issues with the larger diameter fireood logs either but you cannot winch a very crooked log in it unless you cut it resemble a straight log to process it or simply set it aside to cut it up, which will avoid problems with jamming a log that cannot be pulled in with the shearing splitting head.

You can split the fire wood into blocks, halves, quarters, eigths, etc. depending on the options for splitting heads that you order.

it all depends on the quality of the logs and frozen wood splits better with with any splittting head because the water in the log freezes and expands.

leon

Back