Firewood Racks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETpilot

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been stacking firewood on old telephone poles. Some of these telephone poles are falling apart and not too useful anymore. So it is time for new firewood racks. I made these cow feeders many years ago. They are always in my way but I never got rid of them. Thinking firewood, I said to myself “How about turning them over”. And so I turned them over. With extended legs and rods down the center, I can stack 2 rows. Calculating with 2 racks, I can stack about 4 cords. Anyway that is the plan. The first rack is behind the shop ready for welding. I will see how this works out.image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I've been stacking firewood on old telephone poles. Some of these telephone poles are falling apart and not too useful anymore. So it is time for new firewood racks. I made these cow feeders many years ago. They are always in my way but I never got rid of them. Thinking firewood, I said to myself “How about turning them over”. And so I turned them over. With extended legs and rods down the center, I can stack 2 rows. Calculating with 2 racks, I can stack about 4 cords. Anyway that is the plan. The first rack is behind the shop ready for welding. I will see how this works out.View attachment 496771 View attachment 496772 View attachment 496773
niiice..butttt, Id put another two support logs,,in between the three you now have.....wet wood,,is heavy..........wayyyyy more than you think...

Great idea.
I'd even use that angle iron and run it down the center gap and make the uprights longer too.
You'll get more wood on them that way and it won't fall down into the center void.

Everyone should learn how to weld....it's a great way to pass the day and make cool, useful stuff.

My new MIG welder...Lincoln Powermig180 with Dual voltage.
PowerMIG 180 Dual.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Hinerman I took a welding course at the local college for a start. Plus I had an excellent welder friend who helped me along. You might search locally for a welding course. Olyman thanks for the heads up. I have plenty of railroad ties so will add a couple more. Marine 5068 I was not too clear but I plan to do as you suggest. I have some sucker rod which I will run down the center and also extend the legs to 4 1/2 to 5 feet. That will allow me 2 rows of stacked splits. Will post pictures when I get the first done.

I've been stacking firewood on old telephone poles. Some of these telephone poles are falling apart and not too useful anymore. So it is time for new firewood racks. I made these cow feeders many years ago. They are always in my way but I never got rid of them. Thinking firewood, I said to myself “How about turning them over”. And so I turned them over. With extended legs and rods down the center, I can stack 2 rows. Calculating with 2 racks, I can stack about 4 cords. Anyway that is the plan. The first rack is behind the shop ready for welding. I will see how this works out.View attachment 496771 View attachment 496772 View attachment 496773

nothing quite like a good steel fab project! that's a lot of steel. I, for one, do like your 'repurposing' of your cow feeders... imagine that... 2 cords each. awesome!!!! :rock:

Well I finally got started on this mod. First I fixed my homemade Hookaroon and Can't Hook. Both had long straight spikes at the tip. For some reason I thought they would be better with a shorter spike so I cut them short. I didn't like the short spikes so today I fixed that.

My welding skill fades with time if not used. So these little repair jobs come in handy getting back up to speed on welding. My plan is to use these long rods down the center of the old feeder then weld 3 or 4 cross members on top. This framework will be supported by additional railroad ties as suggested here. Should work okimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Well I finally got started on this mod. First I fixed my homemade Hookaroon and Can't Hook. Both had long straight spikes at the tip. For some reason I thought they would be better with a shorter spike so I cut them short. I didn't like the short spikes so today I fixed that.

My welding skill fades with time if not used. So these little repair jobs come in handy getting back up to speed on welding. My plan is to use these long rods down the center of the old feeder then weld 3 or 4 cross members on top. This framework will be supported by additional railroad ties as suggested here. Should work okView attachment 497201View attachment 497202View attachment 497203

nice tools! nice rack update...

>My welding skill fades with time if not used.

happens to the best of us. the trick is to not just fire up welder and try to arc up cold! best to take a piece od scrap stock... grd it and prep stinger, and you... then run some beads. things to be looking out for...

a correct heat range for rod and work size.

b correct rod and type (flux coating)

c nice consistent bead, let it cool and chip slag... slag should come off in large pieces

d hen pecked, dribbles, splotches, etc... suggest arc length not correct, get closer 1/4" or so 3/16ths... weld puddle not consistent, slow circular motion

e when u can run a good bead on the scrap then take it to the work

f vertical and overhead requires correct rod. and usually a bit cooler heat range. and the art of keeping the weld puddle at just the right temps... so weld, lift up, let cool then right back down and into it, heat it up adding rod, get a puddle, lift, let it cool, etc etc... and repeat as reqd....

was getting some stuff at local Lowe's other day, and noted this rack outside on of the entrance doors... thot of this thread, so snapped a pix... to post up. pretty cool rack, not as big as ETpilot's but still would make a good fw rack... plenty strong enuff and in steel! make a good 'repurpose' firewood stacking rack...

ark.png

I've gotten a little behind on this project. The Texas weather has not been cooperating. I've managed to get the grid welded on. Next will be to extend the corner legs. I plan on going to 60 inches which will allow for stacking 2 cords. I may only have time for this rack and wait on the second rack. I have some other projects that take priority. image.jpeg

I can cut and weld just fine. Unfortunately, no cutting torch, welder or material.
Pallets are easy to fine and are disposable.
I'd love to have some nice steel racks.

I've gotten a little behind on this project. The Texas weather has not been cooperating. I've managed to get the grid welded on. Next will be to extend the corner legs. I plan on going to 60 inches which will allow for stacking 2 cords. I may only have time for this rack and wait on the second rack. I have some other projects that take priority. View attachment 500025

your steel firewood rack mods look good. I like the caps welded on to the rack's stanchions... can relate to other projects and priorities. good pix. fun project to foller along with you on... :)

Back