Firewood Racks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey sb47... why don't you delete your post# 20, the double reference to the one I deleted. you see, I think you have hijacked the firewood rack thread of ETPilot. imo, your first comment about welding ok, even reply to VF is ok, but taking over the tread with all your jumping vids re: ATV MX is clearly hijacking the tread. if you want to show us, start your own thread... delete all the jumping vids, go on... be a good sport! I will be deleting this posting at least by sun up or thereabouts...

go on, be a good sport. the thread is ET's and about his firewood racks! :)

I had no intention on hijacking the thread. And my oligopolies to the OP.
It just kinda went off track as many threads do. I was asked a question as to why I don't have or use a welder.
It just went off track from there.
I felt it somewhat relevant to the subject. and I did complement him on his wood racks.
Again, no intention on being a hijacker.

Your right, I'll back off. sorry everyone.
I removed all but the one explaining why I don't weld on my quad.

sb47 no problem. I know threads takeoff in different directions at times.

Backyard Lumberjack these cow feeders I made some 20 years ago. It was one of my first weld projects. Comparing the welds then and now you can tell the difference. I added some welds to the angle for more support of the firewood. I'd like to cap the extensions but for now I may have to tape it to keep rain out.

The trailer in the background is my welding trailer. I hit the tongue with my tractor and bent it pretty good. Except for a couple of hard to reach welds the tongue is almost out. I need to fix it so I can get all the welding equipment out of my shop and back on the trailer.

sb47 no problem. I know threads takeoff in different directions at times. The trailer in the background is my welding trailer. I hit the tongue with my tractor and bent it pretty good. Except for a couple of hard to reach welds the tongue is almost out. I need to fix it so I can get all the welding equipment out of my shop and back on the trailer.

ET: Backyard Lumberjack these cow feeders I made some 20 years ago. It was one of my first weld projects. Comparing the welds then and now you can tell the difference. I added some welds to the angle for more support of the firewood. I'd like to cap the extensions but for now I may have to tape it to keep rain out.

trailer; oic. welding rig trailer. nice to be able to haul it around the place... did you fab up the pasture gate? looks to be made out of rectangular tubing? seems as if it would be or could be... excessively heavy.

Temporary hijack:

I taught myself how to weld. A book or two from the library, a cheap Century wire feed, and a few videos from YouTube. I later checked up with a buddy who had a Masters degree in welding and he said I was doing just great.

Back to your regular scheduled programming:

Those racks look awesome. Looks like solid steel rather than tubing on the legs - that ought to be plenty sturdy.

ET: do you plan on adding legs on either side mid point of the span? I know if it was mine, I would. whether I welded them on, bolted on some 4x4's or even 2x4's... or merely set some 4x4's concreted in ground, or on top of stones n gravel... I would want to brace mid point of that span. rectangular steel tubing or not. stacked firewood gets real heavy, real fast...

well, just wondering...

I fabricated the gate and cattle guard. The cattle guard is pipe and the gate square tubing. About 12' opening IIRC. Grease fitting on the hinge allows for easy movement. Open I rest the gate on a wooden block. Closed it rests on a steel plate. Only mistake I made was I welded a tube on the shop side of the gate. So as you see it is a far as it will open. At times I need it to open more. I keep saying one day I will cut that tube out.

I don't plan on adding legs. I'm going to rest the rack on railroad ties. In my first picture this thread you can see how I plan to do it. As pointed out I will add more ties for support. Then check it as I load the wood.

ET: do you plan on adding legs on either side mid point of the span? I know if it was mine, I would. whether I welded them on, bolted on some 4x4's or even 2x4's... or merely set some 4x4's concreted in ground, or on top of stones n gravel... I would want to brace mid point of that span. rectangular steel tubing or not. stacked firewood gets real heavy, real fast...

well, just wondering...
post 3

olyman... sed: post #3

post #3: niiice..butttt, Id put another two support logs,,in between the three you now have.....wet wood,,is heavy..........wayyyyy more than you think...

well, olyman... hope you will forgive me for thinking you meant two support logs... lol

'olyman'... just thinking about that handle of yours... guess Olympia beer out of Tumwater, WA?... :)

olyman... sed: post #3

post #3: niiice..butttt, Id put another two support logs,,in between the three you now have.....wet wood,,is heavy..........wayyyyy more than you think...

well, olyman... hope you will forgive me for thinking you meant two support logs... lol

'olyman'... just thinking about that handle of yours... guess Olympia beer out of Tumwater, WA?... :)
no, try again........

Well, I think I am done. I have to find a level site to place this thing. As I load it I will check to see if I need to do anything else to it. I may add a cross member at the top. I sure am glad to have this rack moved from behind my shop.

image.jpeg

Well, I think I am done. I have to find a level site to place this thing. As I load it I will check to see if I need to do anything else to it. I may add a cross member at the top. I sure am glad to have this rack moved from behind my shop.

View attachment 500674

nice foto, sez Spring Season all over it...

All the more reason I'd be welding it vs trusting someone else's welds.

The frames are chromalloy and Tig welded. I get my parts from companies that specialize in Hi performance parts. I can weld things that dont depend on my life.
I have broken parts that have a lifetime warranty, so if they break, I get a free replacement.
Racing is no place for inferior parts.
Here is an example of the extreme stress on parts. Notice the flex in the axle.
5pg0ug.jpg

I have broken axles, Tie rods, frames, steering stems, broken shocks. You name it,
Some on these jumps are 110 feet in distance and tipple step-ups are 110 feet in distance with a 90 foot elevation. Thats huge for a quad to tackle with a a 400 lb machine,
These guys are doing incredible racing.

The frames are chromalloy and Tig welded. I get my parts from companies that specialize in Hi performance parts. I can weld things that dont depend on my life.
I have broken parts that have a lifetime warranty, so if they break, I get a free replacement.
Racing is no place for inferior parts.
Here is an example of the extreme stress on parts. Notice the flex in the axle.
5pg0ug.jpg

I have broken axles, Tie rods, frames, staring stems, broken shocks. You name it,

My back hurts just looking at that!

I wish I could paint it but no time. Too many projects right now.

Go to Home depot and look for something called phosphoric acid.
It's pretty cheap, put in in a pump up sprayer and soak down the rusted rack. and wait till the next day.
The rust will turn black and the acid will kill the rust dead in it tracks.
Once it turns black, then prime and paint.
No sanding, sand blasting, or any other prep needed.
It's cheap and it really works.

Temporary hijack:

I taught myself how to weld. A book or two from the library, a cheap Century wire feed, and a few videos from YouTube. I later checked up with a buddy who had a Masters degree in welding and he said I was doing just great.

Back to your regular scheduled programming:

Those racks look awesome. Looks like solid steel rather than tubing on the legs - that ought to be plenty sturdy.

I was lucky that my high school had a vocational metal shop. And i had the most awesome shop teacher.

In the 9 grade I built a tandem trailer from scratch a for my shop project.

I took it to Austin for the regional state to compete in the state finals . Got first place.

sb47 thanks for the tip. Will look into it.

No more cows in the pastures. Just hay baling now.

Yes, Spring is here. Hay has been cut and rolled once already. Grass around the logs and rounds on the ground is waist high. Area around the racks is getting close to knee high. I need to get on the tractor and do some cutting. Always something going on.

Latest posts

Back