firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I was going to need the tractor to skid my cargo container through the neighbor's lot and into my woods when it was delivered Sunday, so I got it home from the dealer without the loader installed (loader arrived Friday) for the weekend, and it went back today for the FEL.

Found out Saturday that there's a mini glacier across the neighbor's driveway and having the container guy backing a fifth wheel trailer down it was a big no-go! So I had him leave it by the road across the swamp instead. I'll need to move it ASAP as I can't meet any setbacks where it sits (and I don't want it there either :) ), but it'll keep her safe while I'm not working her.

The black ash butt log is 18" at the stump and furthest from the road in the pic (can't see it well in this shot). Flat dragging these with the wheeler would've made it struggle for traction - tractor didn't even feel them back there.

I spent a little over 2hrs seat time skidding trees already down and I wish I'd bought one of these in '11 when I bought my land. :D

This one's tuned for 45hp, but it's identical in every way but fuel adjustments with the 65hp version in the line. If I need more power, it's just a tweak of the fuel pressure away.

I also have a HF bandsaw mill and have grown to love milling wood. I am really looking forward to building with the wood I sawed this summer.

Jim, whats the price difference between the two tractors?

How do you feel the india made Deere's compare to the Kubota and Kioti? I really like the older 55 series deere (2355,2455,2555) however they command such a high price its hard to justify, my grandfather bought used and sold a 2555 over 15 years ago for less than 17,000, that tractor today with twice the hours would command more than that now. With the current inflation its hard to justify not buying a tractor.

The 2555 is the predecessor of the next size up (4cyl) tractor from mine.

The 3cyl's were moved to Pune because that's who buys most of them. They had some QC issues with the 3pt lift valve which led to overheated hydraulics - which melted fuel tanks, but those problems were fixed in the first year or 3 of the new production line.

My hood's alignment wouldn't meet BMW standards, but at almost 70 hours I can't find a wrench mark on any of the factory painted bolts/nuts.

I had originally wanted the 55hp model but couldn't find a low hours used one locally. Then this one came up and I did some digging figuring I might need to swap some parts if I needed more power. Being itchy to get the machine, I spent some time over the past month digging deeper and discovered the different part numbers define specific calibrations of the exact same parts in the fuel system. The turbo's are all the same despite higher boost with the 55 and 65hp tuning - then it dawned on me, more fuel per hour is going to result in higher PSI on a fixed ratio turbo. Duh. :)

As to the kubota and kioti comparison - all three make good machines. Deere is the only game in town (locally )for parts/service should I need something. Kubota was #2 in consideration, but getting the same size/performance would've cost more in kubota paint, and I'm the odd duck around here in wanting gears and a clutch. I also liked Deere's layout better on the 5e's.

I really liked the bobcat branded kioti when I looked at them in '11 or '12 (when I first started eyeing tractors), but I also really liked the bigger yanmars CC was distributing at the time as well. None of them had the loader capacity I have now.

Kioti's dealer support is so scarce in MN, I didn't feel confident I'd have alternatives should the dealer flake like what happened with kubota's after informing them I wasn't spending as much as I originally had been considering. I was the only customer in the room when I was considering a $65k machine, but when that didn't happen I might as well have been a ghost.

Massey Ferguson had my attention with their 2600 hd series, but there again, the tractors just didn't quite fit me as well as the green one. Agco makes some good stuff, but that line is also india built and with the perkins engine I felt better with the 3029 deere that's 24yrs of proven reliability instead.

It's getting harder to find a bad tractor. I don't have any years of experience to go off, but I have been spinning wrenches most of my life, and used to deal with OTR tractor-trailer's, helicopters for a short stretch, and damn near anything else with an engine, so I'm not exactly guessing either. :)

Ground clearance, lift capacity, dealer support, how I fit the machine; all played a part in the decision. What really sold me was watching all the videos on youtube of the Indians beating on these same machines, and guys farming SE Asia in mud with them. They handle a lot of abuse! My pulling trees should be easy on it.

About 15 years ago I bought a 1988 JD 2355 (55hp) 4x4 with loader and at about 15 grand it seemed high but I wanted it and now 15 years later I could probably get my money back and have all that use for the price of fuel and oil. Well maybe a couple of batteries too but not much else.

Used pre-emissions tractor values are up with the cost increases of the new tier 4's and BS associated with them.

View attachment 402356 Dont use her unless i have too but sure does make things easy when shes needed!!

My friend has a 7510 - its a nice tractor for lifting but when you have to take them in the woods it gets sketchy ! I have a 5000 series now with around 70hp/loader and open station. When I win the power ball tonight I will get a 6000 series open station for wood and a newer 7000 series with a cab ! hahah

Did a little modification to the tractor purchase yesterday, and now I'm proud owner of this 2012 5065e with 60 hours. :D

Looks nice. I have those tires on my 5055. They wear slow but I'm not impressed with them in mud or snow. I'll be curious to see what you think.

Have you considered siping them with a tire lug cutter (heated blade)?

I would've preferred the wide tread R1 fronts (I think they only come on 6 series from the factory), but having jammed wood between the rim and bead in under 2 hours of ever bringing a tractor to my property with r1 fronts - I'm liking the rim protection of the r4's at least in theory for now.

You could get another set of wheels/tires if you had work for the r1's that your r4's weren't performing satisfactorily. I'm talking used tires with life left.

If you plan to move much snow with it get a set of chains, cheaper and much better than getting another set of tires.

I wonder if people who have traction problems with r4's is due to lack of weight?

I lifted the rear tires on my tahoe off the ground driving that tractor onto a car hauler trailer yesterday. The saleswoman didn't think the tires were loaded, and wasn't aware it has 440# of weights inside the rear hubs. Since I'd already driven 380 miles with the trailer, I decided to see how my truck handled the load (the trailer tires would've blown at freeway speed with that thing on it), and stopping was very difficult. I'm near certain all 4 tires have calcium in them (that's what the shop guys use there).

Steve should be happy - it's SSQC for the bucket mount.

As for snow moving; I'm not sure how much this will be tasked with. I'll have an 1/8-1/4 mile driveway depending on where it eventually goes and have always figured on getting a truck to plow with.

Get or build a power angle blade for it and do your drive way. I have a Kubota L35 with R4's on it. I run light chains on the rear and have no real problems. Mine aren't loaded either but the L35 is a TLB so it's pretty heavy as is. I also have chains for the front but haven't put them on this year. I added wings onto my blade to speed things up a bit.
IMG-20120108-00504.jpg IMG-20120108-00505.jpg IMG-20140105-00576.jpg

Latest posts

Back