firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a nice rig you got there Zogger! I almost held out for that transmission on mine, but decided a regular stick was plenty good enough for me. :)

That's a nice rig you got there Zogger! I almost held out for that transmission on mine, but decided a regular stick was plenty good enough for me. :)

Well, I sure ain't paying for it! I can afford a wheelbarrow and a shovel....hahahaha!

I imagine it is nice once I get used to operating it.

Probably not much different than an Eaton high/low in getting accustomed to doing something different to get the result you want.

Building my road it would've been nice having 12 gears of reverse. With 3 choices, one was too slow and the others were too fast.

IMG_0491.JPG
Here is the old girl I use for pulling firewood out of our woodlots. A 1970 Valmet 500, 3 cylinder diesel and about 50HP with a 540 PTO and a 1500kg lift capacity on the TPL. I have a tipping rear bucket, Hakki circular saw and splitter, snow blower, snow plough and some farming implements like a Fiskars plough, cultivator and that kind of thing. It is kept under cover when not in use and it has been maintained properly by everyone that owned it along the way.

View attachment 426492
Here is the old girl I use for pulling firewood out of our woodlots. A 1970 Valmet 500, 3 cylinder diesel and about 50HP with a 540 PTO and a 1500kg lift capacity on the TPL. I have a tipping rear bucket, Hakki circular saw and splitter, snow blower, snow plough and some farming implements like a Fiskars plough, cultivator and that kind of thing. It is kept under cover when not in use and it has been maintained properly by everyone that owned it along the way.
VALMET=ONE GOOD TRACTOR!

Well, my deutz I use has been down awhile now, the mechanic still can't find some diagrams and service info he needs. So I have no idea when I'll get that back, loved it, versatile, deutz 6206. Scrounged a lot with that one and my home made tote box. Unfortunately, it is past due to hay, bush hog and so on while waiting for repairs, let alone dragging any wood out. The boss also found out, no more deutz parts for that era tractor except what is on the shelves now so...this just showed up in my front yard..

..man, sure a lot of lee-vers and buttons and do dads in this thing.... ;)
Dang Zog, looks like you movin on up! :yes:

Dang Zog, looks like you movin on up! :yes:

Been using it for two days now, still finding new doo dads...and getting used to the sounds.

Anyway, this new jd is the last one before urea engines hit.(I was told)

Do want the deutz back, just ain't no comparison whatsoever for a knock around tractor, the one here just has a cabroof so good vision all around and you can ..hmm.a word..feel the environment around you. The JD, for me anyway, too much isolation from what I like working outside to be, to be with nature, not divorced from it. It's like riding around in a video game. Now if I had to do a ton of winter work, for months and months, ya, full cab with heater, etc, but I am not much for using AC, just don't like it. I used it the last two days, only because not enough open the window and vent options. I did keep the rear hatch opened so I can hear the attachments.

*Conservatively* the deutz gets twice the mileage, maybe more as the jd has a much larger tank. I've bush hogged a little and haymowed half, already had to go fill it up again. I can do 100% of my haymowing plus fuel left over with one tank on the deutz.

Sure heck ya, the jd has tons of creature comforts, outstanding comfortable seat, automagical everything ,etc. So there's pros and cons to me, but..I can use anything once I get used to it better. I know it has some nads, 4wd and 85 horse and liquid filled tires. Haven't had an excuse to go get stuck in it yet (only way to find out what it will do or not do..hahaha)

Mine sips the fuel. I've been getting 1gal per hour average so far moving just about max weight half the time and at PTO RPM for close to all of it. Probably be different if I was running a mower or something, but for now that's 1/3 of full power fuel consumption rate.

*Conservatively* the deutz gets twice the mileage, maybe more as the jd has a much larger tank. I've bush hogged a little and haymowed half, already had to go fill it up again. I can do 100% of my haymowing plus fuel left over with one tank on the deutz.
I hear ya. We bought a new Case backhoe at work last year, same model as the old one, waaaay down on power/fuel "mileage" from the previous one we had. Same engine, just emissions stuff added from what we were told.
So if the new engines reduce emissions by half...and then use twice the fuel...where's the net gain?! :dizzy: MOW-RONS!
Anyways, back to the topic

There's a reason I got a 2012 with 60 hours instead of a 2015 with zero, and it wasn't really about the money saved. The 2015 5e's have a catalytic converter shoved under the hood which makes the hood need to be about 8" taller and I'm not sure they even have an option for side exhaust now. Visibility is greatly reduced, they moved the seat and steering wheel upward, but didn't change the clutch or brake pedals so the angles are wrong and it feels more cramped.

I'm glad I got the machine I did. I don't think I'd buy the new one. To their credit, they did avoid urea injection. Maybe someday we'll get leadership who sees the ecofreaks for what they are (parasites).

There's a reason I got a 2012 with 60 hours instead of a 2015 with zero, and it wasn't really about the money saved. The 2015 5e's have a catalytic converter shoved under the hood which makes the hood need to be about 8" taller and I'm not sure they even have an option for side exhaust now. Visibility is greatly reduced, they moved the seat and steering wheel upward, but didn't change the clutch or brake pedals so the angles are wrong and it feels more cramped.

I'm glad I got the machine I did. I don't think I'd buy the new one. To their credit, they did avoid urea injection. Maybe someday we'll get leadership who sees the ecofreaks for what they are (parasites).

To be fair on the mileage, the JD is a much bigger/heavier machine with all the 4wd stuff plus full cab plus being an 85 horse. The deutz 6206 is only 60 horse.

Ha, operator error on my part no doubt, but the right hand adjustable lift fell apart, it unscrewed itself... I have no idea where that butterfly adjuster grip thing is...screwed it back in and tied it together with a rope...bah

But, half my haying is done and beat the rain!

The 2015 5e's have a catalytic converter shoved under the hood which makes the hood need to be about 8" taller and I'm not sure they even have an option for side exhaust now. Visibility is greatly reduced
Been on a few 2015 models at dealers lately and every single one is a nightmare from a visibility perspective. Can't see much of the forks on the FEL and certainly not the fork tips anywhere near ground level. We don't even have such harsh ag tractor emission regs here yet, but are too small to have much say in the matter. Second hand is still on the table.

If you ever get time and are so inclined, could you please take a look over the new arrival and see if it is the United Nations of tractor that most others are? Does the axle have a made in China stamp on it? How about the transmission and engine? I believe it is made in USA rather than just assembled, but just where the line between made and assembled from local and overseas ingredients is, who really knows?

So far I see the main front axle assembly is made in china

Back