firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only if you spin on it...

SR
Thanks Rob. I used to shift trailers for UPS and there were a couple spots where guys set the trailer brakes and then dug holes in the concrete on a couple bays. When putting a trailer on a door it's so tight that the tires are in the exact same spot every time you park. The next driver would drop a trailer, with out chains, and not be able to pull out, stuck in the holes. We had to send a mechanic over with the big tow motor to pull him out. I also had a John Deere 2010 when I was a kid, with a 7 foot lighter duty blade. If the snow was wet and piled up about 2', with the blade angled, the tractor would just slide sideways. I was thinking about getting a set of chains for the Massey, but if I tear up the black top, my wife won't be happy, Joe.

I split a couple loads of wood today, in fact I split from my wagon into my "self unloading trailer". lol (more commonly know as a manure spreader!) lol lol
standard.jpg

With the 3 point splitter, you just raise the beam until the table grate goes over the side of the trailer,

standard.jpg

and start splitting... The splitter does a nice job of pushing the splits right where I wanted them, filling the trailer!

SR

Dancan, you have chains on a lot of your stuff. I bought a heavy 8" scraper blade for my MF135 to keep on my farm, to dress up the driveways, on my place and my cousins. Things just happen and I didn't get the tractor to the farm. Decided to keep it home for the winter and use the blade around the house for snow. I live on a pretty steep hill and was thinking about chains, would they rip my asphalt to shreds, Joe.

There are different types of chains , I got the studded ice chains for the 1020 used because the fella that owned them didn't like the marks they left on his driveway , the chains I just bought for the Yanmar are studded , the chains on the 135 are studded , the chains on the L285 are just cross links as are the ones I have on the front of b8200 .
Cross links are better than no chain and tend not to mark up driveways too much but will still slide on ice .
Different grades and quality of chain , Trygg being one of the real good ones , lots made in China as well .

I found that thing on the roadside for sale for $350 (I think) about 15 years ago. It's almost all aluminum and prolly worth that in scrap:dancing: . I'm using it on my pretty good (hard) gravel roads to keep the logs clean and roads from getting all chewed up. It could use some more normal implement type tires (wider) for muddy conditions, but it works well and tow's pretty good even at road speeds.

2004 bx2230 and my youngin Joelle tossin wood

I'd love to have a BX around my place. Unfortunately, even several years old, they seem to be made of gold when you see them on Craigslist. I'm always amazed when I see pics like yours of them little guys punching above their weight class. Maybe someday one will fall into my lap.

I can see why they hold resale value. My 2002 BX2200 has 1800 hours and still going strong. About ready to deal with the dreaded front axle and steering adjustments and o-rings again right on schedule every 600 hours. Everything else still works like new - why would I need to part with this perfect little do-everything machine.

We have a farm and equipment auction twice a year at the Howard County Fairgrounds. At the October sale they had 2 BX's in the 22 series, both with loaders, one with backhoe, the other with belly mower. One sold for $5000, the other for $5200. They both looked like new, I "think" they said one had 2000 hours, wasn't paying that much attention. Anyway, they had both been well taken care of. I thought the prices were good, Joe.

I'd love to have a BX around my place. Unfortunately, even several years old, they seem to be made of gold when you see them on Craigslist. I'm always amazed when I see pics like yours of them little guys punching above their weight class. Maybe someday one will fall into my lap.

Here's my wood getter, 2001 with 1100hrs. and it thinks it's at least 100hp.

Attachments

• BXdually[1].jpg
    BXdually[1].jpg
    972.9 KB · Views: 103

My little BX is confused as to how much it weighs and its HP ratings, like the Milkman said. I hooked it to my 5x10 utility trailer on the 3pt ball and it lifted and pulled the trailer stacked full of wet oak. Like it wasn't there. Now I'm not out to abuse this little mule but it will do what it's asked. Resale value always seems wayyyy out of touch especially on CL. My advice is go buy it from a dealer, specifically a non Kubota dealer. I got mine on a super hoop discount because the Orange blip was polluting their green herd on the lot. I hunted for a year for a deal. Keep looking Ryan'smilling the deals are out there.

I had a 336D, can't tell but that is cherry! That tractor had my favorite transmission of all the tractors I've had.
Keep a watch on your front axle oil, I never spotted a leak, drip, stain on the floor…nothing, but it ran dry and was expensive to fix, and that was back when the tractor was only about 8-10 years old (for getting parts).

I knew snow was coming, so the day before it got here, I moved a couple "half cord" boxes of firewood up to the house,

standard.jpg

I have basement windows near my woodstove, so the boxes are covered, and the splits can be thrown down when we need them.

SR

Looks like you have a great tractor, those models of Fords, really are nice tractors.

SR

BX's don't know how big they are - I agree. I have since raised the sides on my trailer and as long as I have traction it pulls whatever in low gear. Dig sand out the side of the hill, load, and haul can't beat that. Fits into tight areas that a bigger tractor couldn't. Just don't tip it over. IMG_4614.JPG IMG_4614.JPG IMG_5464.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5462.JPG
    IMG_5462.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Back