firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5NGm6Oo8DMEKw2oj0t0D1UCpYibYuIzaQQtf60lN-pPJVNwjgOxIoUgBPvZjpf2SwgzCf0erIcA8R_HBWR_M57-fxBKRLkGRc3VpZ8Pailxr-2JK5oZauzxOrqrdMnx7s96Lg800O4lzzQAjgkCVhiHzl0-X2CgB4xZ3J-cRblgbkJjU3n_uQfA8qb9NdnpI-m538lHJCuQeV7xFUl1cOLwRZIWKgzR8Oi0fVXBrO9HmU5Kc8nKkI50U0ivh3A3YT-2npLy_S0tVn4B6uGS-NK4RehwJ72ODEs-BNhWN4fMk0ZjuAAWokGYvbeimWKCtys7CcTu6l7GdlJVGbAU-Vxcnk2BQwougcn32BWiI9PBC6RUYdgfsG4s_SR0BMJJgJ4vea8o0QZKvFkBnVlxYqg7xsqfFDgK2PGZh8GX8SGJROssc8YuCNJ02BX2Z7gJWSng7pIGYLSvsGJNQcAONV24mP50cZ7yKGGetiB55FbxTP03c-yNUnZl6ddD2D2ialxhVBww89jsVFf7KBoAF8jIjYw2VsJfQU9j2L2o2JC448QuUpUInhM6SknlvGeYPk--epwphPWKDFb12ekw-JySkwx6kli2jqmKdMhkn5BxFmq4FUhHVupg4MD1zQBClqjMDeIya0NeGhlfp_tHE6KA2gwWLBlylfdvqaks00ic=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

nF2SXoGXbNZLGrMBC7UOtbVvi7h4DYw29dLD7YID0T5tRBB3zw2PMt7e5P7g_ZjH0VByk8rO7AR6W4Z_syp9AMIL5CUKxaHu1xthRKxQVQyowv5dGjxGX_0R_f4aupv1UiD7Zz5RTwbR39EcBlmdNm8qc9ZLisvkk549zmUpdaPbo0B1dFvdpF9DRq2y1WHVE6bWXQSAmdQotdPOKwqheByY5hz4OzifHJX_5BTThMhJbxoKlk-jI9P-3-ZjlBkSkmpKC1XJgtmiw6RldT8ptW9uxNEmrmr6mxjrtETiDwqxRdrtCzAltRPVzS8sKQvkm3jmVqQm9vDBkyTlF8PXXer_i-Bx4NuF-fZGjYgek0oU1jFO4zZaNe770p7JTMAJViGkcPlLs7rguXmKoRGW0kICIqjyMWMaul1DPwVx4O6y9rloSAiFL_pP8hUvvfkWoeHuKF_rxw9NkklDldG0R7YeCQagh--XtX1a6sepV4i5QdRrUase4qrNpYroJho0zBxYOt6geE4STeuM6eOxu0zJXYSw3ua1_n-rPRFD6fAPRvoz4CfKB_rUUDzKAzrQDPhUWXLb7lc-TdSXmJHKas7o_e3Fc8DAqik4K1d25zV2PJXznmzmYEtnZwkX0nr77a8vmDdzNL07cbFiy_2_Yf2MfA1FQt0yqJ7u720TH_M=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

A couple of the smaller ones are from the last big wind, but those big tree's that went over, they have been there for a couple years...

There's also a HUGE hard maple over, that I didn't get a pict of, we are going to firewood that whole tree.

SR

image.jpeg Man those rear winch setups sure catch my eye, would love to have one. Pretty pricy though.
Think my mx5000 would do well with one of them.
Would like a front grapple too for cleaning up roots like on this pic.

I guess the wind was stronger here on the sun rise side. Last nights new said still a few thousand still without power. As cold as it got all they had to do was clean the fridge and freezer out into card board boxes and set in the garage to stay froze and good.

:D Al

It was a pretty nice day today, in the 40's... SO, I went out and loaded some of the blk. cherry saw logs I cut out the other day,

standard.jpg

Some of the logs were pretty nice,

standard.jpg

I'm now getting a pretty good pile of cherry in the mill yard now, so one of these days I'll have to mill them, and get them on stickeres.

SR

Taking things down a notch or two but some will enjoy the latest additions to my multipurpose three point hitch mount - Brackets to hold the forks after several years of hand toting them and two cat chokers. I can now pull three logs or sections at once, within limits of course. I can use the tongs or chokers independently without having to remove either.

I wish I had invented the cable choker - forget the royalties just the pride of coming up with something so simple and useful would be enough.

IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2079.JPG

Chokers and forks in "stored" positions:

IMG_2083.JPG

Grabbing an awkward section with the 32" el cheapo tongs:

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG

Ron

That's a home brew rig, or me saving money (not) on a store bought winch and building it myself.:laugh:
The grapple & rotator is from Bill Thoms, Brownfield Equipment in Maine.
DSCN7789.JPG DSCN7783.jpg
I think I could have gone up one size without getting too heavy. My firewood is all small stems from thinning.
Everything is hydraulic, including the winch. It's a 8k winch and no where the speed of a PTO winch, IIRC just under a foot a second. It works fine for me because if there's not a stump in the way, there's a big rock.:happybanana:

DSCN7640.JPG

Did Lucky happily contribute his shoe to the build knowing he wouldn't have to hump out the logs anymore? :laughing:
Untitled.png

Great looking work there by the way, it seems to be built to be very strong. It appears to have multiple attachment points for adjustment?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 22
Wow, that side view sure shows the money sitting there. I built my own simple one for my little Kubota, just uses chain links for the swivel. I really thought about the rotator but for my limited use it works pretty good. They sure save a lot of time and jumping on and off the tractor to hook up chains.

There's also a HUGE hard maple over, that I didn't get a pict of, we are going to firewood that whole tree.
SR
And we had the chance to work on that maple some,

standard.jpg

My friend has a Husky Rancher, it does a pretty good job limbing,

standard.jpg

But, when we get into the bigger wood, he runs for my Jonsered 2260! lol Anyway, we got the first load off that maple,

standard.jpg

And, we will be back on that tree S :) :) N.

SR

It appears to have multiple attachment points for adjustment?

Thanks chrisbee, my original idea (without the grapple) was to be able to rotate the "arch" down via the hyd. top link & hitch movement to hitch it high enough to keep most of the log out of the dirt, with the fairly expensive grapple being only a later add on after I could find one to copy & build myself. That blade with the horseshoe rotates up (the reason for the cyl.) and my thought on that was to short chain the log at ground level to the typical chain notches, lift the hitch and then rotate the blade up giving me, iirc about 40" of lift hight.
Bill had his usual display of grapple's, winches, splitters, band mills & processors at the Freyburg Fair that year and Mrs. 711ac more or less said the grapple was a good idea...and that was the end of making it my self story!:D Although It won't hold as much as the tractor can haul out, grabbing 3 or so stems at a time, in no time, then "dropping" them with out stopping the tractor or getting off makes up for the smaller hitch. It has also proven very useful back at the splitter. With the blade rotated up a little & the arch rolled back some, bucking the log at waist height completely off the ground makes my back happy & the saw chain's sharp. The whole thing really was a lucky "seat of the pants" design, I sure wish I was smart enough to work a simple CAD program that would have shown movement & modeling.:wtf:
DSCN8480.JPG
DSCN8481.JPG

Latest posts

Back