firewooding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pafire

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
With the upcomming firewood season( cooler weather ) is there much difference when loading firewood for transport as to sawing it in 16" lengths or sawing it in 48" lenghts. Some of my firewooding helpers say you get more per load when it is cut in 48" lenghts. I like to cut in 16" lenghts and let the bark & sawdust in the area that I'm cutting in.What say you-all . How do you cut your firewood??

Cut mine in 16" pieces & leave as much bark and mess as possible in the woods. Not sure how your friends figure you get more wood with a 48" length vs 3x 16".

It is true however. The smaller you make your pieces the more air you wind up with when you load or stack it.
The difference between 16" rounds and 4' logs isn't enough to matter though.

Harry K

It is true however. The smaller you make your pieces the more air you wind up with when you load or stack it.
The difference between 16" rounds and 4' logs isn't enough to matter though.

Harry K

?? is that cold air or hot air ?? just so we know, as I have heard that cold air is real heavy an to thick to cut and such.....

That is so darn funny less air when the stuff is 48 inches. That may be true if the smaller 16 18 inch stuff is all knotty and the 48 inch stuff is perfectly straight. Other wise the same amount of wood will fill the same space regardless of how long the rounds are. One thing if cut in the woods to 16/18 inches you can split some to fill in those small cavities too. Got to be a bull of a man to handle 48 inch stuff too, don't want to meat you in a dark alley.

:D Al

For me it largely depends on the situation and access. Last winter my wife was a huge help. Seemed to be faster and easier to load 15-20 ft logs onto the trailer and drag them off where we split. I drive the tractor and she drives the truck and trailer. She can haul with the best of them. Best driver I have ever had help.
The mess is no biggie for us. The loader cleans it up fast and then we have a nice bonfire:clap:

while the saw is running, why make it a duel sweating workout! cut it once and forget about measuring twice! 16" works the best all around!!
And when Chucker says 16" he doesn't mean 15.9" or 16.1". Every one is right on!

I'm still working on that. 16" means 14-18" if I'm running the saw. ;)

I cut logs and load them for the most part just because that's what works better for my trailer.
I should add that I cut at a friend of mines place,he has a tree service that dumps all of their wood at his place, He calls me when there is good wood dropped off and I have limited time to get to it before it gets buried in the pile. So I guess I try and cut logs out and transport them home where I can pile them up and work them when I have time.

And when Chucker says 16" he doesn't mean 15.9" or 16.1". Every one is right on!

I'm still working on that. 16" means 14-18" if I'm running the saw. ;)
LOL....you seen it for yourself steve, the measuring tape never lies with each cut! but what a pain in the foot! now if I had a 16" boot I would be right on with every guess??

I'm in a hurry to get as much out of the bush as quick as possible so I cut everything to 12' lengths and haul home 1/4 mile thru fields. Only so much time to get it out because of crop rotation and no access to the bush for part of the year. Have a stack or 3 sitting here now. I'm also in the process of building a new 36" splitter and a "processor" so when it's done the stacks of logs will be ready.
IMG_20150704_184812.jpg IMG_20150605_151014.jpg IMG_20150628_184018.jpg

I always cut logs to 8'. I load them cross ways ony flatbed and stack 5' high. That way I can usually get pretty close to an 8'x8'x5' load. I try to keep the logs 16" diameter and smaller. Anything bigher than that and I grunt too much picking them up. It's about 2 hours to the hills so I try to get the most wood I can per trip.

Latest posts

Back