firewooding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always cut logs to 8'. I load them cross ways ony flatbed and stack 5' high. That way I can usually get pretty close to an 8'x8'x5' load. I try to keep the logs 16" diameter and smaller. Anything bigher than that and I grunt too much picking them up. It's about 2 hours to the hills so I try to get the most wood I can per trip.
sounds like a nice load of logs(2.5 cds.)! what kind of wood you cutting/hauling and what you hauling it on? Idaho has some real nice dry lodge pole for sure.

I cut lodge pole pine and Doug Fir usually. I haul on my old 69 Chevy, but it's beefed up quite a bit to hold the load. 3/4 ton running gear with heavier springs from a 76 Chevy and then over loads on top of that. It's a slow ride home, but by the Im usually tired anyway.

Depends on the size of your rounds. A lot of white I cut is 20" dia or better. I usually aim for 18" lengths and they are heavy enough. No way I would want to wrestle a 48"er twice!
I couldn't pick up a 20 inch pluse 18 inch long round of white oak to save my life:happy:. 20 inch pluse I cut 16 inches and noodle in half. :givebeer:

I couldn't pick up a 20 inch pluse 18 inch long round of white oak to save my life:happy:. 20 inch pluse I cut 16 inches and noodle in half. :givebeer:

I meant a 20" round of "what" I cut, not "white" I cut! :laughing:

I bet my Doug Fir weighs a lot less than white oak!

There's almost an unlimited supply of dead lodgepole up here from pine beetles. Just have to wait till the fires die down & woods are open

i cut to 22 inches i usually drag logs out with my truck and they are cut to length as soon as im done dragging them out.
i dont load logs or have any means to since my house is next to the woods i usually do all my business with the wood on site
then haul the processed wood to the house for stacking.
i got a log i wanted to move but my truck dont have enough grunt to move it and i have no way of moving it.
im going to have to cut it on site ugh!

Back in the 60's and 70's we used to cut pulp wood in 5ft lenghts and load on the back of a flatbed. If it was to big to lift, we would use a couple of poles and roll it up onto the truck. We cut saw timber in 12ft lenghts and used poles to roll them onto the truck. Now days folks complain about loading a 16in long stick of wood by hand. Dont build men like they used to I guess. Theres a lot to be said about working smarter than harder as well. Now that I aint as young as I was back in the 60's and 70's, I have found a simple lift with a small winch will drag those logs right up to the truck without breaking a sweat. Load a 10 or 12 ft long log right on the back of the trailer, doesnt matter if its 6in dia or 24in dia, the winch dont mind. Drive the trailer home and then just raise the dump bed and they slide right onto the the ground right where I want them. Lay a couple of small poles on the ground first and the logs will just slide right off and lay right on top of those poles for easy bucking. I just need to get my automatic chainsaw to work and fire wood will become a breeze.

I like to skid them out whole,

standard.jpg

Then I lift them over my wagon, and cut them into firewood lengths,

standard.jpg

once that's done, it's VERY easy to roll them right off the wagon right on to my log splitters beam...

standard.jpg

SR

I like to skid them out whole,

standard.jpg

Then I lift them over my wagon, and cut them into firewood lengths,

standard.jpg

once that's done, it's VERY easy to roll them right off the wagon right on to my log splitters beam...

standard.jpg

SR
Ok that is cheating!!

The forest circus frowns on me
Skidding whole trees up the hill with my truck.

Ok that is cheating!!

The forest circus frowns on me
Skidding whole trees up the hill with my truck.
that's what's nice about Sundays and long federal holiday's!! more work gets done with less looking over the shoulder to see if the green dressed man is watching!!! your every move..... I really get nervous when I see the ticket book in his hand! lol

that's what's nice about Sundays and long federal holiday's!! more work gets done with less looking over the shoulder to see if the green dressed man is watching!!! your every move..... I really get nervous when I see the ticket book in his hand! lol
I got nailed with a $250 ticket last year, I tagged 1 1/2 cord and he measured 2 cords on my truck. The guy followed me for almost 50 miles before he flipped on his lights and pulled me over.

Latest posts

Back