First big tree climb,and i'm hooked!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Had a young arborist bloke out yesterday to help me take down a difficult double header. when we were done,i told him i'd always wanted to give it a go,and after a brief intro,and a couple of quick scampers up and down,I was having a blast. great to see the forest from a completely different perspective.
now that i'm hooked,I'm going to have to buy spikes and a harness,any thoughts on what would suit a newbie climbers budget and skills?

Spikes are supposed to be used only for removals and emergency response. If all you're going to do is recreational climb, forget the spikes and learn how to climb by rope (several methods of rope climbing available). Me? I like using the RADS climbing system (2 videos below ... no, that's not me), but many professionals may chime in with their favorites.

You can get a pair of ascenders cheaper than spikes too. Spikes are the fastest way up a removal, but they're really hard on the tree.

The elevated perspective was introduced to me when I got a self-climbing tree stand for deer hunting. It's remarkable how that view changes your perspective.​

Back