First bucket truck - what to look goes as far as condition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopsieze

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, we have been getting enough work that a small bucket truck could really help us. Found a 2000 f450 with a 36-38' lift asking $11,000 and hoping to get into it for $9000. i don't know the brand yet but when I go look, would like to know a little how to inspect it.... then how do we know who we can take it to for a professional inspection and know it's safe to use if we do buy it.

Thanks!

Hi, we have been getting enough work that a small bucket truck could really help us. Found a 2000 f450 with a 36-38' lift asking $11,000 and hoping to get into it for $9000. i don't know the brand yet but when I go look, would like to know a little how to inspect it.... then how do we know who we can take it to for a professional inspection and know it's safe to use if we do buy it.

Thanks!

Save up more money. You'll need a 55' lift. $40k will get you a pretty solid used unit.

We bid on a 55' truck that looked extremely nice but were the second highest bidders. Maybe the little one isn't the right move but we've been reading people's pros and cons and just feel it could help us. We haven't bought it yet, just want to look at it.

Our thinking is:

-It's got tools boxes which would save us a lot of time. Right now we spend over an hour a day just loading/unloading before we can even leave for jobs.
-It's got a 7.3 and if good shape could someday sell the boom and put a flatbed or truck bed and use it for a 5th wheel when we get more equipment and trailers.
-We mostly have to use our beater pickup which is very unimpressive to pull up to jobs in.
-We both work for schools and won't have as much time during school days so need to justify our spending as stuff will be used less frequently then you full timers.
-It's not like we are throwing money away. It will always be worth something and figure when we are ready we sell it and move up.

It's at a dealership, hopefully they have some sort of service/history records. We are just getting started as a business, my brother is a good climber but we have built up some capital and right now we think we would get the most bang for our buck with a bucket truck and probably need a decent dump trailer. We plan to keep putting all profits into a pot to keep growing.

Whatever you buy, MAKE SURE everything about the boom and controls is in good shape.
A local guy died a couple of years ago in an old bucket truck he had bought. Was way up in the air, something in the hydraulics failed and threw him out.

Whatever you buy, MAKE SURE everything about the boom and controls is in good shape.
A local guy died a couple of years ago in an old bucket truck he had bought. Was way up in the air, something in the hydraulics failed and threw him out.
That's basically what I'm asking is how/who/where do we go to make sure it's in good shape no matter what size we get. Also, we are still contemplating the best route as far as size and love advice from all of you who have the experience we don't. We are also thinking about a $65k spider lift.... either way, right now we think a lift and dump trailer are the two things that would help us most but any advice is appreciated. Things that have worked well, mistakes to avoid, things you wish you had done different etc?

Your going from a $9k truck to a $65K spider lift and this would be a part-time job for you since you work for the school. Let's start with the basics. What type of insurance do you have?

That's basically what I'm asking is how/who/where do we go to make sure it's in good shape no matter what size we get. Also, we are still contemplating the best route as far as size and love advice from all of you who have the experience we don't. We are also thinking about a $65k spider lift.... either way, right now we think a lift and dump trailer are the two things that would help us most but any advice is appreciated. Things that have worked well, mistakes to avoid, things you wish you had done different etc?
I'm not a bucket truck mechanic but for starters, I would want all the hoses in good shape, all pins in place and properly secured, any leaky cylinders taken care of and all controls working as they should.

I can visually inspect the lift but don't really know what to look for. I'm fairly mechanical, do my own vehicle maintenance etc but know nothing about lifts, noises they might make, play they might have, and don't feel comfortable without a professional inspection.

As far as insurance, that is our next discussion. Hopefully even today. He's been doing it himself for about 6 months and all I know pays $1200 a year, not sure what class of tree removal is covered or what machinery is allowed. I've helped him on jobs here and there but 3 weeks ago we decided to go 50/50, pool our resources and time to really grow the business (or at least give it a shot and see where it could go). We need to make sure I'm allowed to work with him and his liability still be covered. The next stage would be when/if we ever have anyone else and figuring out a workmans comp plan. We've had a couple guys help with brush removal and such but never consider letting anyone run a saw or be near cutting. Need to know a price point when it makes sense to hire help and have proper coverage. This should probably be a new thread but insurance is certainly another piece of advice we need.

I was definitely going to talk with the insurance company before we buy any machines, figure out what classes/levels are and changes in cost. I suppose we should shop around also.

OK you are Goin about this all wrong.... your buddy is 6 months into this biz venture and from the sounds you may have zero equipment... do you have a chipper/chipper truck? If not buy that first a bucket is just gonna make you a mess that can't be cleaned up fast enough....
Oh and any worker on your site needs to be covered by work comp even if they are just dragging brush and humpin logs. I had an injury this winter from only trying to roll a log and I tore my biceps tendon left my left arm useless. I'm sure the bill is at 30 or 40k by now!
Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

OK you are Goin about this all wrong.... your buddy is 6 months into this biz venture and from the sounds you may have zero equipment... do you have a chipper/chipper truck? If not buy that first a bucket is just gonna make you a mess that can't be cleaned up fast enough....
Oh and any worker on your site needs to be covered by work comp even if they are just dragging brush and humpin logs. I had an injury this winter from only trying to roll a log and I tore my biceps tendon left my left arm useless. I'm sure the bill is at 30 or 40k by now!
Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
We have property to dump and my brother has a wood burning furnace so we keep the good stuff. For some reason, most jobs have been drop and go but have ran into jobs a chipper or at least bigger trailer would help. That said, a chipper is still on our radar as a first purchase. At this point he's researched though and done math and convinced if the jobs are close enough the time/money savings isn't worth it yet.

Good reminder on insurance, we need to do workmans comp if anyone is with us, someone could trip on the trailer even. We talked about it this weekend again.

As far as other gear we have just under $10,000 invested. We have several sized saws, rope, we have a good rigging control system, etc. We were sort of thinking a big skid steer before a chipper because we have other uses outside of trees for the skid steer. Certainly not trying to say anyone is wrong for suggesting what we should get first, just trying to explain our situation and see what you guys think. It does seem like a chipper and truck would make sense for most but, if we are close enough to the jobs and had a big trailer (plus smaller one) we could fit most of what we haul off and spend the time chipping.... that's why a dump trailer and maybe a small bucket truck seems most helpful now. Even though 3 out of 4 say a small lift isn't worth it, having a little more professional vehicle, the tool boxes to save us over an hour loading/unloading gear and the lift for speeding up (some) of what we do has made sense.... but, that's why I posted, to bounce the idea off you guys with experience.

What are your climbing skills?

You utterly filthy TROLL!

I had a laugh about the 38 foot bucket but it might make a good tool truck that can do some things, like get stuck on a lawn or get damaged from dropping limbs on it.

I have to say I like these two brothers who never even mentioned where they lernt ta doo da treewerk.

I do feel sorry for the brother that does the climbing though.

He'll make his brother feel sorry for not climbing!

Back